1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

obx lsd [Merged 5-7] limited slip phantom grip

Posted by nazthug, Dec 14, 2004

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. ITSME4G63

ITSME4G63 Proven Member

Joined Feb 6, 2004
    chicago, Illinois
    anything on the fornt lsd on an awd from this company?

2. kicknyours

kicknyours Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2004
    Egg Harbor Twp., New Jersey

173  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. mavisky

mavisky DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Next time don't give up right away. From the next to last page in a thread titled OBX LSD - Update :rolleyes:

4. Revolution

Revolution Proven Member

Joined Jan 19, 2004
    toronto,
    Could it be possible that these obx front lsd's where meant for an awd model?

Im sorry but is their any differences in the carrier sizes between awd models and fwd models?

Maybe John Sheppard or maybe phantom hp could answer this?

5. jshepherd

jshepherd Proven Member

Joined Jan 5, 2003
    North Lawrence, Ohio
    The 93 and later fwd only cars had a larger axle shaft and these diffs were set up for the larger axle. There was obviously no thought put into it because even if it did fit the speedometer gear would never be able to come in contact with the speedometer pinion.

2K  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    7.701 @ 191.31 · 1G DSM
    raped likes this.
  6. Revolution

Revolution Proven Member

Joined Jan 19, 2004
    toronto,
    So I take it that these lsd's wouldnt be able to fit into an awd dsm's front carrier.

Gotcha John. Oh and congrats on breaking into the 7's. :rocks:

7. VelocitàPaola

VelocitàPaola Moderator

Joined Jun 14, 2005
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    There's been a few threads about this before, but they've all been closed, so please stick to the topic and nothing else.

Both here and on 2GNT, very few people have actually bought and tested the OBX LSD for the 420A. Shep said there was serious fitment issues with OBX LSDs, but as we all know, those are for the 4G63. Quite a few people on 2GNT all say they "know Honda guys who have had excellent results."

Obviously, none of this really helps us with the 420A. If you have first hand experience with this LSD, please share your experiences. In particular, I'm looking for notes on fitment, function, and overall quality (Please no "all OBX is crap!" or "OBX = SSAutoChrome" comments).

Finally, I'd just like to say that the availability of Quaife and Mopar LSDs has been beaten to death on this forum. We all know they're great - they're unfortunately, expensive too... so please keep the discussion to the OBX LSD. Thanks. :thumb:

1K  21

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. XMasta19

XMasta19 Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2004
    The "O", Florida
    I read no mention of phantom grip :confused:

9. VelocitàPaola

VelocitàPaola Moderator

Joined Jun 14, 2005
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ...and Phantom Grips. They're wonderful; they're inexpensive, and they'll destroy your spider gears if you have more than 350 hp and you like to launch hard.

Eitherway...

:)

1K  21

manual · 2G DSM
  10. dr1665

dr1665 DSM N/T Wiseman

Joined Jan 6, 2003
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Buddy of mine here in Phoenix just snagged one of these on eBay for under $450 shipped. I've seen it and it looks fairly stout. There is a need to press the outer bearings in place and he's also suspecting there might be issues with installing the speedometer gear ring (literally a "square-peg-round-hole" situation), but otherwise, there isn't anything overtly out of the ordinary.

It's not installed yet, but I can follow up with him as he goes. He's also curious if anyone has information on this thing. I'd post a picture, but it's too large and I can't resize anything here at work. Maybe later. Looks just like the Quaiffe, though. We're optimistic.

11. VelocitàPaola

VelocitàPaola Moderator

Joined Jun 14, 2005
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    That'd be great. Like I said, so far all I know is that the 4G63 guys haven't had much luck with it; but there's so many conflicting stories over at 2GNT... just make sure to keep us posted! :thumb:

I'll take care of that...

Attached Files:

1K  21

manual · 2G DSM
  12. BigRand

BigRand Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2004
    Toronto,
    http://www.amcparts.net/

(click honda lsd's, then look for mitsu 420a eclipse)

Is another company selling FULL LSD's (not phantom grip styles) for cheap (about 550)

But I just wanted to throw this product into the dissucsions of if it works/fits/ and still good even though its cheap.

701  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    14.337 @ 98.390 · 2G DSM
  13. VelocitàPaola

VelocitàPaola Moderator

Joined Jun 14, 2005
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    I see... I could never find the LSD for the 420A on that site before. Click on Honda first... right! It makes so much sense! :confused:

Anyway, it looks like the OBX one to me, so if anybody knows about these, please comment.

1K  21

manual · 2G DSM
  14. XMasta19

XMasta19 Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2004
    The "O", Florida
    How'd you come across that one, and have you read about it anywhere yet :confused:

15. dr1665

dr1665 DSM N/T Wiseman

Joined Jan 6, 2003
    Phoenix, Arizona
    That doesn't matter. A superior LSD is a superior LSD. If this thing is a Quaiffe knock-off down to the fine details, then it's the best bargain out there right now. I'd get it before I would turbocharge my 2GNT. Those New Skool/Phantom Grip deals are sketchy at best. I would only invest in the retrofit version offered by ERT in Chicago, but I'd prefer to go with something that replaces the stocker over something that hacks it at best.

So, do you have one of these LSDs Velocidado? :sneaky:

16. BigRand

BigRand Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2004
    Toronto,
    I saw www.amcparts.net in the back of a modified magazine one day, and it said 420a mitsubishi eclipse next to it, so I had to get online asap to check it out. But thats all I've heard. So I will throw the thread back to the disscusion on OBX's LSD, Its all the same to me.

701  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    14.337 @ 98.390 · 2G DSM
  17. VelocitàPaola

VelocitàPaola Moderator

Joined Jun 14, 2005
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Here's something interesting I found on 2GNT. I'm not sure how credible it is... I don't know who "Honda Tech Guy" is. Apparently, though, he broke down an OBX and Quaife LSD side by side. Despite his negativity, the differences don't sound like anything some sandpaper and stronger bolts wouldn't take care of.

1K  21

manual · 2G DSM
  18. TSi999

TSi999 Proven Member

Joined Apr 25, 2003
    Stoned Mountain, Georgia
    Well that sucks. No wonder there are none on Ebay.

19. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Proven Member

Joined Sep 12, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Does anyone know what is going on with the production of these? Where is that phantom guy who works for OBX? I guess OBX screwed up on the production design...this really sucks because I was really looking forward to finally having a helical LSD for a reasonable price. ARGHHHHHHHH OMG

20. jtmcinder

jtmcinder DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 4, 2003
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Nope. They screwed up by copying the wrong diff. They didn't "design" anything. They never do. They copy. And in this case, it came back to bite them. Not hard enough, I fear, but it is still a good day for those who believe in intellectual property rights.

- Jtoby

21. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Proven Member

Joined Sep 12, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Well I for one cannot wait until they release this thing. Screw intellectual property rights. If copying someone's work gets me a similar or better product for much cheaper, I'M ALL FOR IT. If no one was ever allowed to copy each other's design or improve upon them, we'd probably all still be driving wooden wagons.

22. kar king

kar king Proven Member

Joined Sep 9, 2004
    ontario, California

that's a real good question..........

23. ITSME4G63

ITSME4G63 Proven Member

Joined Feb 6, 2004
    chicago, Illinois

omfg that last sentense so reminds me of a jeep wagoneer! But its true though.ROFL

24. igopoopy

igopoopy Proven Member

Joined May 5, 2004
    tucson, Arizona
    i thought they only had them for fwd 420a motots not gst's

25. TSi999

TSi999 Proven Member

Joined Apr 25, 2003
    Stoned Mountain, Georgia
    They do still sell those on Ebay.

Hmm very interesting, $89 freaking bucks for a GM. But we get raped for one.