The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Noisy timing belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyFlo_dsm

Probationary Member
Nov 15, 2020
Orange, California
*2 very short videos addressing the issues included*
Hey everyone so the car's running again but I wanted to get your input on this sound coming from the timing belt/ cams area. It's persistent until I reach about 3k rpms then fades out. The belt itself still looks good. Once again however, I need to know if another mechanic is trying to hustle me. He said in order to find out where the sound is coming from, they'd have to get underneath the car and move some things around etc. Then gave me his "estimate on similar types of problems in the past" of $600+.
*Also noticed a bolt missing from the belt casing.*
I come to you once again oh wise ones!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That's the sound I remember if the timing was off a tooth or so. Its been too long...but it sounds very familiar

it kinda sounds like the hydraulic tensioner for the tiiming belt is bad

To be safe....id pull it apart before your valves possibly get lovey dovey with your pistons

I hear stuff from the video but hard to pinpoint what you're talking about.

If there's been a recent timing belt job, maybe the tension was set too tight? This happened to me, took out my oil pump.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back