The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

noise when slowing down in gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

it should be okay to drive it.. ive been driving my car for about a year now with it making the noise and it hasnt crapped out on me.

Usually when theres a noise on deceleration, check out your rear diff bearings.

Eh, I've been driving mine for two years like this, I just thought it was because of all the extra gears involved in an AWD.... Ignorance is bliss... now that I know it will probably blow up on me...

You know what, Im gonna chance it, Its coming out tonight, wish me luck people.

i would really love to know what this is aswell. I personally have a shep rebuilt tranny with act2600, stock flywheel and use penzoil synchromesh straight. I get the same noise as everyone else and i have sense the shep tranny went in so i thought maybe it was normal or somthing??

has anyone else having this problem taken their tranny out to look at like Boosted98gsx did? id like to see if someone elses is the same. I would take mine out.. but seeing im at school i cant.. well not for another 3 weeks then i might drop it and check it out.

For awhile i thought i was the only one that was having this problem. I posted once before but all i ever got when ppl linking me to the vfaq thing dealing with the driveshaft. We all know thats not part of it. Let me ask you all, is everyone having the problem driving an AWD? Im driving a 92 gsx.

well i already know i need to get my tranny rebuilt.. as 2nd has been grinding since i got it.. but i manage to get around the grinding. :)

i got the same problem, had an act 2600lb, fidanza light weight flywheel....
just got a fidanza flywheel friction surface, a new fidanza clutch kit, and synthetic gear oil....

now when I decelerate foot off gas or coming down from higher rpms downshifting, I get this horrible noise like some grinding or metal banging sorta it's like bizzoogggg chinka chank bizzoooggg

type noise...not really grinding tho I think it has something to do with the clutch tho cause i got 40,000 miles on my car, ran absolutely perfect before I replaced the clutch,...now somethings going wrong. my car's a 95 awd turbo....Umm also could it possibly be a bad cv joint, or throw out bearing?
see, the reason I ask is because I also had a misfire plus this strange noise the minute I took it outta the shop. That concerns me greatly, and I was thinking if the awd is hooked with the cv joint and one is bad and you downshift and it doesn't put enough push on the engine, it could cause it to misfire and buck the engine?

maybe i'm just stupid someone let me know ###

Let’s keep this thread going… I’m having the same problem. I just installed a newly rebuilt transmission and supposedly new transfer case. Upon deceleration I get an awful clanging sound like ball bearings or similar. I’m almost positive that it’s coming from the front of the car (and not the rear differential).

I wasn’t hearing anything even close to this noise before putting in the transmission, transfer case and new ACT2600. The noise is very loud and not something that I feel safe driving. I’m hoping it’s transfer case and not transmission…. I’m dreading that thought of having to pull all of this out again:barf:

Did anyone else come up with a root cause?

My vr4 does this as well, it started after i installed an xact flywheel and fidanza clutch....its kind of like a combination rattling/grinding noise that only happens under decel.

If anyone knows the cause, that would be great.

I hope mine is only clutch chatter. I get a slight noise on decel. It started after I installed my Spec Stage 3 and Fidanza flywheel.

Redline shock proof in TC and rear, BG synchromesh in tranny got rid of all my tranny noise on decel after my TRE intallation.

Just to reply to this thread, I also have the same problem. I have a exedy stage 2 and I also have this problem, but I had it before the clutch install, and I have a good jdm transmission. (92 tsi awd 4 bolt)

Hate to bring it back from the dead, but why hasn't anyone solved this yet?

I just drove my car for the first time since installing an ACT flywheel and Competition Clutch stage II clutch. I have all the same symptoms as mentioned above....grinding like noise upon decel in gear. It seems to be worse in 2nd and 3rd. It didn't have any noise previously.

I have the same problem. I have a fidanza light weight flywheel. I have pulled the trans and torn into it, swapped the Tcase, rear diff, new drive shaft u-joints. I thought it may be caused by my 3 straight pipe noise too but I have checked that out too.

I'm starting to feel that I may have to learn to live with this noise.....only 100miles since installing the flywheel/clutch and its making me crazy!

hey guys, i got my tranny rebuild a year ago by a very good local performance shop, with 4 spider center diff. excedy stage2 clutch, and flywheel. i get a weird noise as well, but mostly in my 2nd gear (i hear it in all other gears as well, but not loud at all, just barely noticable) on decel. and only when above 3000rpm. The shop told me its fine, its just the lighter flywheel, and something to do with the clutch if i remember correctly, cus it was a while back. Mine kind of sounds like a grind, but it sounds a lot more like a whine, but louder than our 1st whines. Anyways, i don't really downshift hard, or much at all, and I don't think you should be doing any downshifting to use as brakes if you just daily driving, and when i downshift and gas, there is no whine on the accel. So it's been a year for me, and I have to say my whole tranny setup still feels the same way i just got it on day 1. So i haven't really thought of this as being a problem.

My VR4 has this same noise problem. I have tried 2 different transmissions and 2 different transfer cases.
I am also running a Fidanza flywheel and clutchnet 6 puck clutch setup. It doesn't seem to hurt anything but the sound is pretty off-putting!

Just installed a new XACT Streetlite Flywheel and an ACT 2600 clutch and I get the same sounds on decel and if I push my gas pedal in 1-2", anything beyond 2", even WOT, and the sound goes away. I have no idea why.

I just found out today that a mate of mine with en Evo 2 has this same issue.
As far as we can tell it doesn't seem to actually hurt anything, it's just very very annoying!

Read through this old thread. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dri...idanza-6-puck-now-having-noise-vibration.html especially my post about calling ACT and Fidanza about it.

On a related note.... I've recently switched to some BFG G Force Sport 225/55-16 tires which are much softer in the sidewall than the Street/Autocross tires I used to run and the noise has almost disappeared. It seems the stiffer sidewall tires transfer more resonance back through the drivetrain.

I think the only way to eliminate the noise is to pull the flywheel/clutch assembly and have it balanced as a unit.

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

Just drove mine last night for the first time in a year (bad motor no money). Got a lightly used Fidanza 2.1 clutch, Fidanza flywheel (with new friction surface), and put in fresh Redline oil throughout the drivetrain. Decel sounds like a bunch of marbles being thrown around, and I believe its coming from the back. I'm gonna recheck fluid level, and see if I find anything obvious with the carrier bearings. Maybe I'll get lucky or something.

I have the same noise, goes away when clutch is pushed in and when you give it gas. It comes back on decel round 3k rpms with foot off gas.

I have Spec Stage 3, Act Streetlight Flywheel, Rebuilt Dogbox Race Trans, Redline MT-90 in trans and Heavy Shock Proof in Rear Diff and transfercase.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back