The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

noise when slowing down in gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the1cancer

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 18, 2004
Riverside, California
I just got my trans rebuilt cause the bearings had blown up. finally I got it back and put the thing in and it was working like a champ, then when I was slowing down at a light and was still in gear there was this weird almost grinding noise coming from the tranny.

the noise promtly goes away when you put any gas but the second you let off it comes right back. its loudest in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear at around 3000 rpm.

also, does anyone know if the gears in the tranny have marks on the teeth that have to be lined up cause the tranny guy said that if there were he didn't line them up.

Thanks guys for any info you have.

You mean timed marks? No, they do not have timed marks, however I would have the "tranny guy" have a close look at it again. I know I would want to since it could be coming apart again. If it does it in all gears, I would look at the final drive as that's most likely where the noise is coming from.

Good Luck

Old Mitsu Tech said:
You mean timed marks? No, they do not have timed marks, however I would have the "tranny guy" have a close look at it again. I know I would want to since it could be coming apart again. If it does it in all gears, I would look at the final drive as that's most likely where the noise is coming from.

Good Luck
Do you have a lightened flywheel? I know quite a few guys who have them and get a noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear end when your slowing down. I usually only get it in 2nd gear but perhaps it's the same noise? It's not really a grinding though. Also, if you put it in neutral when slowing down, or pushing in the clutch, does it go away?

Old Mitsu Tech said:

Good Luck

Hey thanks for the info. I guess I am going to have to tear the thing back apart then. do you know if the final gear would also destroy the input shaft seal, cause I noticed that there is ALOT of oil pouring out of the bell housing (and its definately gear oil). took the transfer case off and that seal is good. but there is enough oil coming out to be a constant drip.

BaddAssGst said:
Do you have a lightened flywheel? I know quite a few guys who have them and get a noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear end when your slowing down. I usually only get it in 2nd gear but perhaps it's the same noise? It's not really a grinding though. Also, if you put it in neutral when slowing down, or pushing in the clutch, does it go away?

I used to have one of those ACT chromoly flywheels, but that damn thing warped so fast. warped to the point that the pressure plate couldn't be installed. so I al running stock flywheel (which if I might add seems to give a better launch)

I'm guessing you had a local guy rebuild the tranny?

yup, had a local guy do it. dont have the money to have shep do it. he wanted 850 bux just to change my syncros. I had damaged gears and needed all new bearings which would cost even more money. plus its like 180 bux for shipping.

I cant afford that crap, ahh well, the work is under warranty and thats all I care about

the1cancer said:
I cant afford that crap, ahh well, the work is under warranty and thats all I care about
Ah, ok. That's good.

i just installed an ACT XACT with my new engine, nothing done to the trans, and i'm also getting the same whining/grinding noise. I thought it was my 4 spyder (only thing inside the tranny that has been modified) as the noise seems speed dependant (while in gear with clutch engaged (power through tranny)) and not RPM.

it almost sounds like a dogbox and "howls" persay.

I am having a similar issue with my new setup (ACT 2600, Fidanza Alum and Shep Stage III). My initial thought was that I might very well have over filled the transfer case... any potential truth to this?

After a fluid level reduction test, I am out of ideas.

I found that my issue was caused by a low fluid situation... the brand new rear output shaft seal isn't holding up for some reason. I had synchromesh about half way to the carrier bearing:notgood:

Good thing I only drove it for about 20 miles or so... I just hope the transfer case is still OK.

I wonder if I somehow screwed up the seal seating procedure. I was very suprised at how much fluid had been lost. It definately wasn't a slow trickle, more like a gushing issuing forth:barf: Damnit! I have a rally rac on the 19th. Why does this crap always come up so close to race days:toobad:

starting to think the sound is coming from my transfer case cause I had the tranny shop tear my tranny apart again and they went through EVERYTHING and everything is perfect.

Also the input shaft of the transfer case seems loose, I can move it back and forth a little with my fingers, doesn't sound good to me. going to have my tranny shop take a look at it. (crossing fingers) hope its ok, those parts are expencive.

P.S. engine sounds AWESOME without any exause piping!!!:thumb:

I get the same thing. Once I let off the gas it happens. It goes away soon as I touch the gas, or press the clutch in. Diff sounds like coming from the rear. In the 1000 FAQ they mention something about the pinion bearing. I brought it to a tranny place, they put it on the lift and took a stealthascope to everything. They said they heard a little noise in the transfer case, and the rear diff, and think that its resonating in the drive shaft which is causing the noise.

Just glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem!:)

Well my tranny died. Had changed the fluid in it the day before to 1.5 Qts of GL-4 and 1 Qt of pennzoil synchromesh. Was cruising down the highway on the way back to houston from DFW. 5th gear suddenly making a VERY high pitched whining sound then *GRIND*. 5th gear wouldn't let me accelerate/decerate while in it the rest of the trip. 4th gear would do the same, but gave me +-5% throttle before doing so, so i wound up cruising home in 4th gear. Car is now at a shop going to get the tranny pulled and inspected. If it's as bad as i think it is, i'm sending it off to Shep or TRE.

If you are torn between the two and are courting suggestions, go with Shep. I had my trans done by him in Feb (his stage III). Very happy with the trans and very impressed with John's professionalism and customer service.

An awesome price for what you get as well!

The trans comes back a little tight at first (as one could expect) but after about 3 or 400 miles you'll wonder how you possibly owned a DSM without one of Mr. Shepard's magical rebuilds!

i have also exprerienced same problem. i had a Exedy stage 1 in my car and i just replaced it with a Exedy stage 2 (puck style). i had a the same noise when the stage 1 was in my car but now that i have put the stage 2 in, the noise has gotten worse... any ideas. flywheel was resurface to the correct step, drive shaft has been rebuilt recently...

depending on how i let off the throttle, sometimes it won't do it until i reach a low rpm

anyone ever find out what was causing the noise?

i have had the same problem with my car since ive gotten it. My first thought was the problem with the driveshaft problem found on vfaqs.. but that was thrown out since according to that the noise would come with acceleration.. where as mine is when i let off the gas and if i take it out of gear or push the clutch down it disapears. Could it be that the tranny is worn down? my 2nd gear grinds (once its warm.. i know if different then most people where theirs will grind when its cold) and sometimes 3rd will grind once warm only when i try to shift quick. ive managed to drive it for about a year now and i know how to shift without grinding in 2nd..

So my question is what would cause the noise? i konw the driveshaft is out, since it is still spinning when its out of gear. So tranny?? i need to get mine rebuilt but i just dont have the money to get it done :(. anyways hope someone can shine some light on this. ive posted awhile back about this but never got an answer. thanks

I have the same problem with my car. I had AMS put a ACT2100 clutch and resurface the flywheel. I never had a noise with my stock clutch, as soon as i picked my car up with the new clutch, on decel it sounds like my rear end is grinding. I put the car in the air and ran through the gears, no noises at all from underneath... And it doesnt do it in first gear, only 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, and it goes away when i push the clutch in. The guy at AMS thought it might have been too thin of fluid in my rear diff, so i bought Redline shockproof 75w250. Still makes the noise! The only thing that alot of people have told me is the pinion bearing is going out. And thats a big job to replace that, from what ive heard.

So is this the rear end, or the transfer case? I was told that nothing will break with that sound....:confused: So i guess ill keep driving it like that till something breaks or someone finds a fix for it...

This is what mine turned out being...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Intermediate shaft pinion bearing grenaded on me.

*EDIT* Added 1 more picture.

Eek. Still under warranty? Or are you just going with Shep's build?

My car is doing this now, just started Wednesday, havent driven it since, is it ok to drive it?? Im afraid my trannys gonna shit out on me when Im driving it, and I was gonna go pick up this girl Im bout to go on a first date with, but I dont think its gonna be in my car, OH MAN but the only other car I can drive would be a minivan, and thats not gonna happen. Someone please tell me if theres at least a temporary fix?? Like a tranny fluid that would fix this, BTW I have Pennzoil synchromesh in it now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back