The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

noise @ head only low rpm. No spool.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campos_racing

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 10, 2011
Laredo, Texas
So as the title states guys, now I will try to upload a video but figured I would ask if someone has had this problem.

I have a recent rebuilt oem head. I paid a local mechanic (I knew I should have done this myself, but job didnt let me.) to put the head back together after the rebuild. After running the car on idle for awhile I noticed the cam gears were not aligned, so I redid the timing belt and the belt was good. Later that night took it out for a drive and the car acted weird, then I arrived at my friends house and the car has a noise coming from the head, but only at low rpm, or when you shut it off. I checked the timing belt and it has some slack, but when I press the belt, the intake cam moves a little in, which is weird, because the exhaust cam does not move at all.

Also ever since this happend, my car's turbo is also acting weird, now this is a rebuilt 16g, and no smoke is out the exhaust, not shaft play aswell. I run maft so I should here the turbo spool or whistle you know, but it sounds as if the car had the mani connected straight to the exhaust.

Any suggestions on this guys? I will try and get a video of what I am talking about when I wake up. Any input on this would really help. I am bending towards maybe a bent valve? Or maybe the HLAs arent doing enough pressure to the cam, hence the movement. I also saw a thrrad stating it might be the timing belt tensioner pulley that is not torqued at factory spec. Thanks for any help though.

First, I'd take your valve cover off and make sure all the cam caps are torqued to the correct specs. Then, I'd double check your tensioner. If it's the hydraulic tensioner, chances are that he did not align the pulleys as far as he should have, or he reused the tensioner.

First, I'd take your valve cover off and make sure all the cam caps are torqued to the correct specs. Then, I'd double check your tensioner. If it's the hydraulic tensioner, chances are that he did not align the pulleys as far as he should have, or he reused the tensioner.

I bet its the hydraulic tensioner or the tensioner pulley. I had replaced the hydro tens. about 1500 miles ago, but then the valve seals sent out and he put the same one, is not good anymore maybe?

even the timing belt tensioner oosening (i've had it happen last summer after 13 ears of DSM ownership) but it was only at idle, really clacky, i found youtube videos of other people wondering but threads in searches all pointed to bad tensioners or loose adjustments...thanksfully for me it was just loose and i dfidn't jump time before i noticed and fixed it

even the timing belt tensioner oosening (i've had it happen last summer after 13 ears of DSM ownership) but it was only at idle, really clacky, i found youtube videos of other people wondering but threads in searches all pointed to bad tensioners or loose adjustments...thanksfully for me it was just loose and i dfidn't jump time before i noticed and fixed it

Thanks I will check that out tomorrow. I removed everything today exposing the belt, so tomorrow I will see what the deal is. Thanks for the help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back