The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

New to DSMs, need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revolracing

Probationary Member
Dec 15, 2004
waldorf, Maryland
sup, i never really got too much into DSMs but recently i've found an ad on autotrader.com for a 93 Eagle Talon ES fwd with a 60k jdm engine, new 5spd tranny, new brakes/wheels/clutch and lots of other things. The jdm engine is non-turbo and i was wondering if it was worth buying the car and turboing it because the owner only wants $2000 for the car. I think the engine is a 2.0L 4g63. I mean, if this engine has good compression or can handle high boost then if i put a $2000 turbo setup on the car, it'll probably be a 12 second car for only around $4000. what do yal recommend because im a beginner when it comes to dsms. should i get the car and turbo it or keep looking for another project car?

dont buy the car. if you want a fast DSM buy a turbo DSm period. Throwing a turbo kit on a NT DSM and you might be able to get into the 14's if you are lucky with good driving.

look to the car as a whole- the motor isn't the only concern- the tranny isn't quite as strong although better geared- nor the clutch- you'll need a clutch to handle the boost- and you can't use a turbo FWD clutch since it's larger - so you have some tranny issues to work out- the ECU also needs to be able to deal with boost, you'll need injectors, fuel pump and rr fuel pressure regulator. You'd need an IC and the piping....

$2000 for a 1st gen n/t isn't a steal- I saw a 91 Laser RS fwd Turbo go on ebay for $750 - needed a clutch.

Start with a turbo car- then fix things once with the best (or at least better) parts.

$2000 for a turbo for a $4000 turbo car isn't that great a deal- I was given my DSM FWD Turbo, and I have less than $50 in mods so far- I can add a $750 turbo and $300 clutch, and $300 MAFT and $300 for custom 3" exhaust, and another $400 for injectors and a FMIC (DIY) and be under the $2000 mark.

That $2000 for a turbo doesn't go far when you need more than just a turbo :)

When people put on turbos on a N/T DSM they are gonna blow there car up bc they wont able 2 run high boost....bc they would blow a ROD Thorw the heads bc the block is not made for a turbo easy as that.....why do u think the GST and the GS are defferent LOL

Its not about blowing up the car really. A person who knows what he is doing wont blow the motor with a turbo just because it isnt designed for one. Its all about the tune and knowing the limits. The point is it would take a significantly more amount of money and time than 2 grand to put a NT into the 12's.

Masteer E 25 said:
When people put on turbos on a N/T DSM they are gonna blow there car up bc they wont able 2 run high boost....bc they would blow a ROD Thorw the heads bc the block is not made for a turbo easy as that.....why do u think the GST and the GS are defferent LOL
This is the second post of yours in about 10 minutes that makes little to no sense. I

f English is not your first language, I'll cut you some slack, but our overseas members type more legibly than this.

See the rules on typing like you don't have opposable thumbs.

Masteer E 25 said:

You can turbo and nt 4G63 and run some decent boost. My friend was running 11psi with his stock nt block. And if you want to make it a turbo block rebuild it with turbo parts.

alright but i need to know if this is a good enough block to handle up to 20psi and up to 400hp if i replace it with performance rods, pistons, cams, gears, etc. because i haven't had any experience with dsm engines before.

by the way having either fwd or awd doesnt bother me, im just looking into this jdm engine

Your block is the is a 4G63 block so it is the same thing, you just need to use different internals.

Wrong

"it'll probably be a 12 second car for only around $4000"

No

I wouldn't do it.
A. It takes a hell of a lot of time and money to put a full turbo setup on.(what shadowfax said)
B. A regular 4G63 is not as strong as the 4G63T
C. Its FWD anyhow, so even if you did make the power...

It sounds like it might be a decent driver, something for work and back, but I see little potential as a racer. Just buy a turbo DSM, it will cost far less in the long run.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back