The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

new to tuning need advice...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbl14

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 14, 2007
warren, Ohio
i am basically interested in what tuning tool i should get for the setup i am working towards.

i am getting ready to buy a new turbo(fp big 28, evo3 16g, or fp 18g) i have a fmic ready to go, and i got a hardly used set of 650 injectors. i am also probably going to upgrade my fuel system with stm's kits and a rewired 255 pump. i also now have all megan ss exhaust, 02 collector back. i also have a 3.5" gm mas that a friend gave me.

well i'm sure we've all at least heard of maft pro, but despite reading many, many threads about it i still don't know much at all. after looking at all the options, i think either ems or maft pro sound the best to me, and of course we all know how much ems is... and before anyone says to forget about anything but dsmlink i really don't think it's too attractive. i don't have eprom, and i have heard that it required lots of constant adjustments.

i still am unclear on what all is needed to run the maft pro fuel density set-up, but i think you just need the maft pro unit, and gm map and iat? and also a gm or aem wideband sensor?

i think also that if you have all these and set it up correctly the maft regulates your fuel trims so that you run at a consistent tune automatically?

i am new to pretty much all of this ecu tuning stuff, so i want to find a "simple" way to get the best results. if maft pro is as simple as it sounds i think i can figure it out no problem, it's just hard finding good info on this product.

i hope my post is ok, i know there are many posts about the maft pro, after reading for a month i am still unclear. if i don't go with the pro i think i'll just say f*ck it and go with ems(i work with 2 guys who have experience with it). so basically i am just looking on solid advice of what i should use to get the most out of the set-up i have,

maft pro or genII doesnt adjusts automatically,They just track your AFR to the point, where u want to set ;). i got maft-GenII ,but its really hard to adjust the fuel trims,its just takes a lot of time and alot of nerves LOL LOL

With what you are going to spend with maft pro you might as well just go with DSMLink. If you are going with a GM-MAF you can get a cable with DSMLink so you don't need a translator or anything like that. Have you looked into DSMLink V3? If not you will be surprised to see how attractive it is. It has some very good features and is what it should have been from the first place. Definitely need a Wideband. You could also look into an S-AFC and a logger but I still recommend DSMLink over any other tuning option.

With what you are going to spend with maft pro you might as well just go with DSMLink. If you are going with a GM-MAF you can get a cable with DSMLink so you don't need a translator or anything like that. Have you looked into DSMLink V3? If not you will be surprised to see how attractive it is. It has some very good features and is what it should have been from the first place. Definitely need a Wideband. You could also look into an S-AFC and a logger but I still recommend DSMLink over any other tuning option.

thanks, i haven't read too much about v3 yet, i'll have to. with v3 i assume that i'll still need an eprom? i'll start looking at v3 and see what i think of it.

also, i forgot this in my first post but if there is anyone in central/north east ohio, northern wv or western pa who is experianced with any tuning and would possibly like a new dsm friend to help/get help from feel free to pm me.

I have some experience in tuning and am in western PA. I am just learning. I could help you get a wideband street tune though and then your best bet is to get it dynotuned after that. I'd be willing to help you out but I only really know DSMLink. Yes you will still need an EPROM I believe with V3 they were trying to make it so that 1g's do not need an EPROM but I see you have a 2g so you will need one.

so if i am correct, to run dsm link i need an eprom, a laptop and dsm link hardware?

will any eprom ecu work?

well i've looked at the link v3 website and it is looking way more attractive than v2 did. i just wonder if it will actually come out in the next few months before spring.

i'm sure i could find an eprom somewhere, and i think i could get a decent laptop. although i'm still not sure link v3 will be cheaper then maft-pro?

You need a 95 eprom ecu. Also when you said dsmlink needs adjustment thats because people run the gm maf. Its the reason for sloppy tunes. With the turbo you chose, your stock maf will work fine and if you need more you can go to a evo maf which has ran near 700whp.

Also you dont need a maf-t to run the gm maf with dsmlink v3. They also said speed density will be a free upgrad real soon after its released and you can use the gm maf cable you buy from them for the speed density sensors also.

I would really look into getting ecmlink v3. Its looking really good and released in dec. Sucks they dont have the eprom conversion for the 2g's yet. I heards its only going to cost us 1g guys $75 for the flash chip install when buying a new copy of v3.

the good thing about ecu+, you dont need an eprom ecu, but if you have one you can use it and its just like dsmlink. the only way you can buy it is through MACHV, if they still have them in stock or look in the classifieds. it took me almost a month to find one and paid 400.

p.s.-if you want to buy an '92 eprom ecu, pm me. ;)

It sounds like it may be above your comfort level right now, but there is also the option of running an EVO ecu. I did the conversion on my car and have $185 into the whole thing and I have full access to all my fuel and timing maps, not to mention the ability to run speed density and launch control.

What it takes is the tactrix cable that the Subaru and Evolution guys use to tune with and an Evo ECU. I'm still working out all the bugs, but have put probably a 1,000 miles on the car with this setup.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back