The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

New Motor. Hard to start. CEL on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hestman

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 26, 2010
Barberton, Ohio
I just finished putting my new motor in my car. Its hard to start up then rough idle until it warms up. I have a CEL on a 92 Eagle talon. How do I get ahold of a tool to read it? I asked advance, autozone, and my mechanic buddy seems like no one wants to help LOL.

autozone has to help you, I know over here in Chicago you can get fired for refusing the CEL service. Go back and tell them you want to check your CEL. They have the tool and an employee will go to your car with you and scan it. Then go back inside and will give you a printout of all the codes. Hope it helps

Visual Frequently Answered Questions - Home Page

Sorry found this on the vfaq. My bad for post LOL :heystupid:

autozone has to help you, I know over here in Chicago you can get fired for refusing the CEL service. Go back and tell them you want to check your CEL. They have the tool and an employee will go to your car with you and scan it. Then go back inside and will give you a printout of all the codes. Hope it helps

REally even on an OBD1??

Last edited:
A lot of the shops now only have the modern obd2 scanners. i know your can graph the codes onto a meter and based off the graph pattern you get your engine code

Well Im having trouble finding The thing I need to hook up to. I have no open end electrical connectors down there. DO I need to unplug something?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is what I see. What Gives?

autozone has to help you, I know over here in Chicago you can get fired for refusing the CEL service. Go back and tell them you want to check your CEL.

WRONG! They cannot check codes on an OBD1 vehicle.;) If you go back and demand that they check your car, they will simply laugh at you and tell you they can't.... Again.

Hestman, the connector you're looking for is right under the dash at the drivers left knee, just to the right of the fuse panel down there.

WRONG! They cannot check codes on an OBD1 vehicle.;) If you go back and demand that they check your car, they will simply laugh at you and tell you they can't.... Again.

Hestman, the connector you're looking for is right under the dash at the drivers left knee, just to the right of the fuse panel down there.

I keep looking for it. I took a pic. It just looks like its simply not there. Does anyone have a pic of it? LOL

Wow thank you man I found it right away after reading that. I got code 21. Engine coolant temp sensor. Im gonna go get a new one now. Dont know if it will help my hard to start or not LOL. Well see

I bet it will help your hard start problem.:) A hard start is a very common symptom of a faulty coolant temp sensor. Good luck:thumb:

I bet it will help your hard start problem.:) A hard start is a very common symptom of a faulty coolant temp sensor. Good luck:thumb:

Thank you. Just picked up the new one heading out to the garage now. Wish it wasnt so cold out LOL I hate ohio in the winter

WEll the wire going to the sensore was broken right at the connecter boot. Luckily I had just enough wire to connect them together. The cel went off and the car runs SO much better now!! Thank you for your help guys.

LOL Well, what do you know.LOL I'm glad to hear you got it figured out.:)

Yes thank you very much for your help. That thread is EXACTLY what I needed. I scrolled down it and there was a thick black wire in the picture on that thread that another guy told him to follow. My connector was shoved WAY behing the fusebox almost through the dang firewall LOL.

Now on to figuring out my timing problem..... got another thread for that LOL

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/392320-what-wire-do-i-ground-set-timing-1g.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back