The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G need timing help 4g63t

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Goodreau

Proven Member
Jun 5, 2014
North Adams, Massachusetts
i just discovered today that my timing is off by one tooth, is there anyone out there that can provide me with a descriptive how to, to adjust the timing properly. i know how everything works ive just never done this before and i dont want to mess anything up.

Remove the driver side tire and splash gards

You have to remove the driver side motor mount jack up the engine with a piece of wood so you don't dent your oil pan.

remove all the pulleys (water pump pulley is easier to remove with the belt still on) after all the pulleys are off includeing the harmonic balancer you remove the power steering pump ,

After all that you jack up the engine till you get enough room to wrench around then remove the timing cover upper an lower

now this is were the magic happens and you figure out WHY you jumped a tooth most likly a bad tensioner I'd reccomed the tools to do this especially the tensioner tool you can make one with the battery post clamp

I'd replace everything all idlers , tensioner pully's and tensioner arm there s a vfaq that goes through all of this way better than I could explain oh and replace all belts and check out all your seals includeing cams and crank seals ,

It took me 8hrs with help to do this job but replace every darn thing you can! I'm at the 2k mark on my belt job I'd recommend rock auto for parts! Hope everything works out and take your time! And go through the procedure till you can resight it in your sleep and when you have zero questions I have no problem awnsering questions with this procedure although I'm sure alot of ppl can help you and give you tips and tricks, like the Wisemen on here are great

Get a torque wrench and some office supplys like the paper clip clamps to hold the belt on the cams and buy a manual I used a dealer manual but I'm sure Haynes or clintons (I think it's spelled like that) are good to

Last edited:
Prevenenative goes a long way .water pump would be ideal to replace mine was fine but I replaced it anyways same with my tensioner rock auto Is the place to buy if you have to buy any other brand other than mitshubushi I'd reccomed gates for sure!

well the thing is, the guy i bought this off of said that he just replaced the timing belt, water pump, pulleys...the whole 9...idk if he didnt put the belt on right or something. but i dont want to have to replace all this stuff again. i can tell its all new so...could i just adjust the timing to the marks and call it a day?

Well some thing messed up to cause the crank to jump a tooth , either he didn't do it right or something failed.

BTW when I removed my old pully's they looked like new but when you spun them you could tell they were bad

But btw yes you can just re do the belt and call her a day but id check everthing to be sure nothing is missed just follow the Vfaq like your replaceing the belt but everything has to be followed like your replaceing everything if that makes sense LOL

Before you tear everything apart, pull the plugs and rotate the engine with an extension in #1 plug hole. Go slow when the dowel pins are close to the top and stop when the extension quits moving up. Then check the marks.

A bad harmonic balancer can slip and give the impression the timing is off. If the piston has stopped moving up and the cam gear marks are aligned then mechanical timing is correct.

Important note from VFAQ (step 33): THE EXHAUST CAMSHAFT SPROCKET MAY ROTATE IN THE COUNTERCLOCKWISE DIRECTION AS THE BELT IS TENSIONED. THIS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED WHEN INSTALLING THE TIMING BELT. If the camshaft sprocket timing marks don't line up after tensioning the belt with all the other timing marks lined up, loosen the belt and retension it, but try rotating the exhaust sprocket slightly clockwise (1 tooth off) first.

The cam sprocket marks must not only align with each other but also with the head surface. When all sprockets are on their marks, it helps to place a straight edge horizontally across the center of the cam shaft sprocket attaching bolts. Then you can just align the cam sprocket marks with the ruler. http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/i-think-my-timing-is-off-a-tooth.500744/#post-153571025

My full TB installation tips: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/timing-belt-tensioning-tips-for-4g63-turbo.214625/

Last edited:
Google - Kim Steele timing belt- for another description of the process. Take a good look at the hydraulic tensioner( might not have been replaced). There's some reason the timing was off . Luvtorallye makes a great point re another reason for timing to be off. Extreme PSI and other vendors on this site sell tools for timing jobs, including the two prong tensioner tool and the gear wedge that hold your cam gears still. Check the harmonic balancer for rubber rot or separation. And don't spin your crank with the belt off. Took me about 30 hours, I'm slow! Good luck!

cant i rotate the cams if the crank is 90 degrees past TDC so there's no interference?

If it's only a tooth off like you described just literally line the timing marks up and call it a day don't rotate it a bunch of times till the belts on and ready to rock

If you feel alot of resistance like the engines not rotating then STOP

Id also make sure your oil pump is in phase with the balance shaft with the screw driver trick ( the bOlt you have to remove for this is behind the engine near the axle but above the oil pan by the ac ) . An take your time! If it takes a week than it takes a week if it takes a day good job but check everything

ok just went out and set crank to #1 TDC and this is the result.

Attachments

• 20150511_155425[1].jpg
    20150511_155425[1].jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 20150511_155432[1].jpg
    20150511_155432[1].jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 144
something caused the timing to jump - teardown will be required. Possibly the balance shaft belt or another belt or something caused the timing to jump...

Unfortunately you are gonna have to take it apart to verify the failure. Good luck!

yeah i know it, this will be my first timing job...LOL it's going to suck but thankfully i have a buddy that's going to help me

Don't get overwhelmed, once you get into this, it isn't all that bad. It does look like the exhaust is off, I'm surprised it ran, probably not real good. Follow the instructions given, and the timing tools help a lot if you can get them. If it gets to you, just ask some more with your pictures and we can walk you through.

Yeah will do, Like i said i am also having a good friend of mine help me who currently has alot of knowledge in this kind of work. So i should be alright. when all is good I'm going to post another log with her running better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back