1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Need help identifying my talon

Posted by Jon W, Feb 8, 2020

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Jon W

Jon W Probationary Member

Joined Sep 30, 2019
    Melbourne, Florida
    So I recently purchased what was supposed to be a 98 however I have been told several things are not right about my car and I am trying to figure out what happened. The door sticker says manufactured Oct 2017. The title reads a 98 eagle talon. Vins on dash plate and door sticker match the title. Also car fax lists vin as 98. However it has come to my attention that the car should have side door moldings and shouldn’t have a black dash. And has the wrong side skirts. Any help or information is appreciated thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    The sticker on the frame of the door? That manufacturer sticker should have a corresponding vin unless parts have been changed out.

Street Build 240  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. nismojones

nismojones Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2008
    Eastpoint, Michigan
    Right. Pics of 2017 manufacturing date sticker?

4. 91talonts1

91talonts1 Proven Member

Joined Dec 29, 2008
    Spencer, North Carolina
    What's on the title and the VIN matching it are what matters, so I would go by that. The doors could've been replaced or had the moldings shaved. Black dashes and side skirts are commonly swapped out. The date of manufacture is just that, the date it was built. New model years come out before the beginning of that year i.e a 98 model year car would be in production and start hitting dealers before the end of 97. My 97 talon was built in October of 1996.

Swapping a VIN to another chassis is doable, but I wouldn't suspect that's the case with your car just going by the color of the dash and the trim discrepancies. If you give the VIN to the guy that does the 2gb talon registry he'll be able to tell you everything about it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020

Drag Race Build 3K  15

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Kryndon likes this.
  5. Jon W

Jon W Probationary Member

Joined Sep 30, 2019
    Melbourne, Florida
    Here is my door sticker

Thanks for the help so far. Just searched for the registry guy and found my car in his list. By that dash is correct color so just looks like some exterior mods.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2020
    91talonts1 and 609DSM like this.
  6. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Not all 2g came with black dash, generally only 99' for Eclipse and I'm not sure on the Talon, but I can assure you that not all of them were made in black, some were grey and some tan and even some blue.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    My '98 N/T has the black dash. I won't guarantee it's stock but the whole interior matches so I assume it is.

588  5

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Road Race Build 3K  23

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

433  4

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles