1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Need exhaust. Need advice. Come on in and join a discussion.

Posted by Brembo, Apr 21, 2019

1. Megan

4.5%
  2. HKS

4.5%
  3. Apexi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. DNA

4.5%
  5. Thermal

40.9%
  6. Custom

45.5%
Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    Thanks everyone who is contributing. I am still at lost as to which direction to go. Its only a pipe but I still have hard time making a decision. Keep those pictures coming.

By any chance do you have more pictures from under the car? And how it is holding up? Do you like it?

Street Build 2K  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    I like it when you say when it was running. Its funny and sad at the same time.

Street Build 2K  3

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    Thanks for replying. I have checked those guys and that is why I am posting so that people who did buy that exhaust come in and post their reviews and submit some real pictures.

Street Build 2K  3

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. Goose7077

Goose7077 Probationary Member

Joined May 13, 2016
    Newark, Delaware
    I can take a couple when I get home. I like it sounds good to. Nice deep sound

5. langa

langa Probationary Member

Joined Apr 3, 2014
    Cable, Wisconsin
    I recently did a DNA kit from Ebay on my 91 talon. Its looks good and sounds great, but it requires some slight modifications. If you have the time and want to save some time it's a good kit all together.

6. LarryJoe

LarryJoe Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Davisville, West Virginia
    No unfortunately that's the only under car picture I took of it. The rest of my exhaust is a punishment 3" downpipe, a manual cutout in place of the cat, and this eBay catback bolted to that. It's holding up fantastic, hasn't rusted or anything (yet), all the hangers lined right up with the factory ones even. Sounds really good for what it is. No complaints at all for the money I spent.

7. raiderrodney

raiderrodney Proven Member

Joined May 9, 2011
    Burnsville, North Carolina
    +1 for Thermal. I lucked up and came across one lightly used a few years back for my GST. I was planning on buying a new one anyway. To me, there is nothing out there that sounds as good for our cars. But as someone else stated...they can be loud when you get on it...which we never do so....:D

Street Build 301  7

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Red_EcliPzE_GsX

Red_EcliPzE_GsX Proven Member

Joined Nov 25, 2002
    Irving, Texas
    Thermal hands down. Just had mine installed recently and its great. Great sound nice low rumble. And its not too flashy like a huge folgers can Apexi N1.

Only thing with mine was it had to be a bit modified. I am running a Megan downpipe, Megan resonated test pipe, and then the Thermal catback, but for whatever reason it wouldn't all line up properly. Had to end up cutting and modifying the catback a bit, but all was fine. Muffler shop got it knocked out for about $120.

Attached Files:

347  3

manual · 1G DSM
  9. Mitsuridr

Mitsuridr Probationary Member

Joined Sep 22, 2016
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Another +1 for thermal! Mine came with the car when I bought it nearly stock four years ago. Daily drove it for about two years before building it and I have no complaints. Does not drone out and isn’t overly loud around town. Nice deep tone as well. I would upload a video, but it says the file is too large.

Street Build 1K  8

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    Is Magnaflow an option?
    How about Borla?
    I guess those would fall under the category of custom...

In terms of balancing a good sound with good performance those would be my picks.

Road Race Build 2K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

335  3

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

250  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
  11. lasthope05

lasthope05 Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    I little OT here but what issues did you run into with 3/S trailing arms? I remember you talked about swapping them.

12. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    They will bolt up. There are some differances but the biggest one is that they put everything 2 inches wider. So the wheels stick out from the body like 1 inch on both sides. Now you can do flares and differant wheels to make it look ok but the worst part for me was that the caliper was also litteraly outside of the car. Looks strange. So since I already both those arms I cut and weld few times and check alignment and then cut and weld and like that like 6 times. Maybe more. Than their is a problem with the axle, then their is a problem with backing plates, then it was a problem with parking brake cable. Pretty much every component of the rear suspension and brake system had to be modified to fit.. But it is all done. I am planing to start the build thread so that I can post some pictures and explain everything a little better. Also everything, even bolt were either replaced or cleaned and powdercoated.

Street Build 2K  3

awd · manual · 1G DSM
    lasthope05 likes this.
  13. 19gsx91

19gsx91 Proven Member

Joined Apr 20, 2011
    Walworth, New York
    I have an SRS system that I cut the muffler off of and welded a v6 98-02 Honda accord v6 resonator to. I work at a junkyard so these are actually my favorite budget "muffer" as they are built like a cherry bomb, but because they're OEM Honda designed, its all stainless. they start at like 2-1/4 diameter but the diameter goes all the way up, mine is cut to 3" on each side for a straight through setup. It's hands down the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard on a dsm, including thermal, hks, borla. This is 3" straight back with 2 resonators that come with the ebay SRS system and the Honda accord v6 resonator off the back.

Street Build 3K  16

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    292 whp · 264 lb/ft · 1G DSM
    ThunderChild likes this.
  14. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    That's extremely strange that you had that much trouble with the 3sx arms...I have them on my 92 and they worked perfect. Maybe you got a bum set, did you ever contact them about the issues?

Essentially the same as my system, but you have the 3rd resonator. If I had something decent to capture a sound clip of mine I would post one, as I think my car has an excellent note at all times.

Street Build 226  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

318  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 868  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    19gsx91 likes this.
  15. lasthope05

lasthope05 Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Not talking about control arms. He retrofited 3000gt trailing arms into a 1g so he could fit the evo brembos while retaining the hand brake function.

16. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Ah gotcha, didn't read far enough back for context. Carry on!

Street Build 226  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

318  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 868  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  17. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey

Thanks. That what I was waiting for. I knew there were people out there with that exhaust.

Street Build 2K  3

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  18. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    No problem. Sorry for not making it clear. Also since we are on this topic, pretty much all aftermarket control arms use the ball joint stud that is the size of a dsm. The problem with that is the 3si trailing arms take a size bigger. So dsm ball joint will fit but it will sit way too deep for my taste. I feel that on a good compression the stud could brake. Now I could be wrong but I work in steering/suspension shop and that kind of fitment is a big no no. I know people have used them for years and that is fine with me. I just dont like how they fit. I used 3si ball joints prest into dsm arms. Could of used the 3si arms but my arms were in better shape. Also this swap cost as much as my car. I did this in a course of 2 years so I did not keep track of everything but it is some where around 3k. Not counting labor and alignments. Also the ride height changes too. So now I am waiting to do evo coilovers. Thats right, evo coilovers with swift springs and hopefully custom adjustable caster upfront. I have put 200 miles on the set up and it feels good, no weird shaking or suspension changes. The suspension articulates good, that was my biggest fear. Once I am done with suspension I will for sure create a thread and show off. Ok boys back to the topic. More pictures or you guys drive with no exhaust around. LOL

Street Build 2K  3

awd · manual · 1G DSM