The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Custom exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo_dsm

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 1, 2009
New Britain, Connecticut
hello, i have a stock 2g talon and im planning on getting a 3" custom catback exhaust.

Would a 2.5" work the same if i went up to 250whp?

I dont want it to be too loud, what muffler would u recommend for a low deep tone on a 3" catback?

Thanks for any help!

YOu can do 2.5 but why not spend just a couple more dollars and not have to worry about it.. I run an apexi cat back. It has 2 resonators and really quiets it down.. No cat just resonators.. If i were you i would run 1 resonator(if it is cheap) and an apexi n1 can. I have ran an apexi can on straight 3 in and it sound great.. Kinda loud but really deap..

Ill go with the 3" catback with a muffler. Can i add a resonator later on if its gonna be too loud for me?

best custom exhaust you can get imo is a 1 piece mandrel bent to get the most free flowing exhaust possible, and depending on what turbo your running you could do either a 2.5" or 3"

Go with the 2.5", especially if you're not planning on running that much power. Easier to keep it quiet, and you can probably keep with the stock routing.

depends, 3 inch gives more flow and better for high power but with power comes noise, i would just go with 3 inch only if you plan on going up in power as time goes on and on, otherwise if your only gonna do minor tuning and not much building then just stick with 2.5 or better yet get a name brand catback and just ask around for who has ### and how it sounds.

If you're worried about noise, have an exhaust shop make the 3" piping for you and throw on a couple resonators in place of the cat. Even with 3" it will tone it down quite a bit. For the muffler, I highly recommend Magnaflow. They sound great on our cars, especially with a good barrel style resonator.

I would definitely go 3" either way. It leaves alot of room for future upgrades. Do it right, do it once.

Im telling you my 3in with resonators is really quiet... All my buddies say all you can hear at the track is the turbo.. The exhaust doesn't get "honda raspy" at all... I had an apexi can on straight 3in from o2 back and it was loud but if i put the silencer in it it would quiet right down... I wish i would have done one resonator with that exhaust.

I welded up an exhaust for my talon last month. I used an evilbay downpipe that is 2&3/4" going to 3 at the end. It is a long style, no cat. I then did a full 3" back. I used a 3" resonater from Pypes. I used a Dynomax straight thru style but it has a slight twist because of the offset in/out. The tight 90* bends are from NAPA. I put an aluminum shiney ring on the tail pipe. It's 3" not 5" LOL. I have around $250 in the system without labor as a cost. That car sounds very low and throaty. I do have a 272 ex. cam and it thumps. I can't get enough of the thing at 7000 rpm , It sounds mean! No fart can sound at all. I have done several 4cyl. exhausts and quiet was what I was after with 3". Tres....

Attachments

• P1000896.jpg
    P1000896.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 170
  • P1000887.jpg
    P1000887.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 180
I welded up an exhaust for my talon last month. I used an evilbay downpipe that is 2&3/4" going to 3 at the end. It is a long style, no cat. I then did a full 3" back. I used a 3" resonater from Pypes. I used a Dynomax straight thru style but it has a slight twist because of the offset in/out. The tight 90* bends are from NAPA. I put an aluminum shiney ring on the tail pipe. It's 3" not 5" LOL. I have around $250 in the system without labor as a cost. That car sounds very low and throaty. I do have a 272 ex. cam and it thumps. I can't get enough of the thing at 7000 rpm , It sounds mean! No fart can sound at all. I have done several 4cyl. exhausts and quiet was what I was after with 3". Tres....

That's a nice clean job there:thumb: Do you have a link to the Resonator you used? I can't find it on their site? My GSX came with a 3" exhaust with an Apexi muffler but no resonator and I don't really care for the sound of it. I'd like to get something I can cut into mine. Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back