The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

N/A With Turbo Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1992_Talon_tsi

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2009
MIAMI, Florida
Ok guys so im heaving problems lately with upgrading the fuel, the dsm its a n/a converted to turbo, it still has the n/a ECU, WIRING HARNESS, and fuel setup. In other words its running on 240cc injectors with the stock pump on a B16g at 12psi thats extremely lean in fuel and its dangerous although i keep it on 93 octane and even knowing that iv stepped already on it a few times. Ok so the question is what do i need to do to upgrade to the stock 450cc injectors?

I would grab a compatible 4G63T ECU, Fuel pump and Injectors. Also grab a data logger and a SAFC. Or you could go higher in injector size and get a 255 FP. Make upgrading in the future a little easier.

Well i was seriously thinking on buying a Turbo harness for 120$ shipped, but wouldnt i need a turbo ecu to run it? Also im trying to rich a little bit my fuel so im planning on a 255fp, MFPR, with stock 450cc injectors on 93oct all day. I have a Maf-t setup hanging around witch im going to use to tune the fuel...

You can run 450cc injectors now but you couldn't control them properly. I would get a Turbo ECU with harness as well to run those injectors. But I don't see why you would need a SAFC when you get a turbo ecu and harness. The turbo models run 450cc injectors stock and wouldn't harm anything. A data logger though is a great tool to have with these cars.

You can use your n/t ecu for awhile if you want in conjunction with an safc (I ran my n/t ecu and tuned it with an safc for over a year) you will just have to get a logger and a wideband and tune the car conservatively or you run a high risk of raping the stock n/t pistons. plus the n/t ecu doesnt have the circuit in it for a knock sensor. Get a set of 450's, a turbo fuel pump or a 255, a turbo ecu, a logger and have at it. I ran 20psi on my 14b on a conservative tune with the 9:1 n/t pistons and was pulling everything from evos to 03-04 cobras. You'll be surpised at how quick the car is with 9:1 compression especially on an big 16G :thumb: Just watch your tune, the n/t pistons dont like detonation one bit

You can run 450cc injectors now but you couldn't control them properly. I would get a Turbo ECU with harness as well to run those injectors. But I don't see why you would need a SAFC when you get a turbo ecu and harness. The turbo models run 450cc injectors stock and wouldn't harm anything. A data logger though is a great tool to have with these cars.

Thats just what i was planning to do, found a wiring harness for 120$ and found an eprom ECU for 100$, and i was going to use the maf-t not a safc to compensate the 255fp...

Thats just what i was planning to do, found a wiring harness for 120$ and found an eprom ECU for 100$, and i was going to use the maf-t not a safc to compensate the 255fp...

I presonally wouldnt waste $120 on a turbo harness when you can add a few wires to the exsisting n/t harness and be good to go

You can use your n/t ecu for awhile if you want in conjunction with an safc (I ran my n/t ecu and tuned it with an safc for over a year) you will just have to get a logger and a wideband and tune the car conservatively or you run a high risk of raping the stock n/t pistons. plus the n/t ecu doesnt have the circuit in it for a knock sensor. Get a set of 450's, a turbo fuel pump or a 255, a turbo ecu, a logger and have at it. I ran 20psi on my 14b on a conservative tune with the 9:1 n/t pistons and was pulling everything from evos to 03-04 cobras. You'll be surpised at how quick the car is with 9:1 compression especially on an big 16G :thumb: Just watch your tune, the n/t pistons dont like detonation one bit

No you weren't

No you weren't

Yep, sorry to burst your bubble. My gutted fwd laser that weighs 2500lbs with me in it walked all over a pair of stock 03-04 cobras. ask ANYONE who has boosted a n/t dsm with the stock 9:1 pistons and they will tell you they pull very hard on a good tune. Completely different beast than a turbo car with 7.8:1CR on a 14B. btw that was with me on a sidemount :thumb: The car runs 13.5's at 105 with a 2.3 60ft which is plenty to stomp a few 12 second cars from a roll. Not a fan of people who dont know what they are talking about

I presonally wouldnt waste $120 on a turbo harness when you can add a few wires to the exsisting n/t harness and be good to go

Few wires? More than a few plus all that rewiring stuff its going to drive me crazy i prefer to just get the hole thing and replace it and it would be a way more cleaner job, although i would do it if the n/t harness fitted on a turbo ECU? that would have save me some bucks and time for sure...

Few wires? More than a few plus all that rewiring stuff its going to drive me crazy i prefer to just get the hole thing and replace it and it would be a way more cleaner job, although i would do it if the n/t harness fitted on a turbo ECU? that would have save me some bucks and time for sure...

You will nedd to run a total of 8 wires LOL. the 7th wire from the mas needs to be run back to pin number 6. Run a wire from the knock sensor back to pin number 9 on the ecu, and wire in 5 wires from the resistor box to the injectors and thats it. Anyone with any mechanical ability should be able to do it no sweat. The n/t harnes plugs right into the turbo ecu, they are no different in that aspect

Yep, sorry to burst your bubble. My fwd laser that weighs 2500lbs with me in it walked all over a pair of stock 03-04 cobras. ask ANYONE who has boosted a n/t dsm with the stock 9:1 pistons and will tell you they pull very hard on a good tune. Completely different beast than a turbo car with 7.8:1CR on a 14B. btw that was with me on a sidemount :thumb: The car runs 13.5's at 105 with a 2.3 60ft which is plenty to stomp a few 12 second cars from a roll

I do believe that in my case im not tune but like i said iv stepped on it a few times and one of them was with my buddys GST hes on a small 16g at 14psi and i beat im by half a car in such condition, thats just why im crazy about tuning as fast as possible because man i seriously not good at keeping my foot off the gas no lie!

I do believe that in my case im not tune but like i said iv stepped on it a few times and one of them was with my buddys GST hes on a small 16g at 14psi and i beat im by half a car in such condition, thats just why im crazy about tuning as fast as possible because man i seriously not good at keeping my foot off the gas no lie!

Just make sure your tune is really good and you should be fine. The n/t pistons are fine as long as you dont see any knock. If you are getting one count of knock on these pistons its too much, richen the tune up some or pull a degree of timing. Most of the n/t turbo guys back the base timing donw to 3 degrees. Ive however ran mine on the stock 5 degrees and been fine. Good luck with the car, should be a fun ride :hellyeah:

You will nedd to run a total of 8 wires LOL. the 7th wire from the mas needs to be run back to pin number 6. Run a wire from the knock sensor back to pin number 9 on the ecu, and wire in 5 wires from the resistor box to the injectors and thats it. Anyone with any mechanical ability should be able to do it no sweat. The n/t harnes plugs right into the turbo ecu, they are no different in that aspect

OUUHHH wait a god dam minute, thats all it takes i thought it was more then that:ohdamn: then i would just need an ECU, and these is starting to sound simpler then i thought i have a knock sensor around witch im going to use as well, btw do you know where can i find the pinout odder you just gave me, but a little more informative because i never done nothing like this?

Also you need a AFPR to adjust for the 255 lph fuel pump (you should be fine with a 190 though). The SAFC or MAFT is to adjust for larger fuel injectors, not the fuel pressure.

If I was in your position then I would just add the wires to your n/t harness. Here is a good tech article: Installing a Turbo 4G63 into a N/T 4G63.

If you are on a tight budget, this is how I would do it:
Turbo ECU
Add the wires to your harness
190 lph Walbro fuel pump
Stock blue top 450 fuel injectors
Datalogger

Also I would disconnect your wastegate actuator arm so you don't build any boost until you get the above stuff or there is a very good chance the you will have to add "new engine" to your list.

Hope this helps!

*EDIT

btw do you know where can i find the pinout odder you just gave me, but a little more informative because i never done nothing like this?

Here you go: 1G ECU color pinouts

Nope its not complicated at all. Take a look at the link that 9!'clipseDOHC just posted it should have all you need to know in it. And im sure 9!'clipseDOHC can tell you how hard a turbo n/t car pulls

Nope its not complicated at all. Take a look at the link that 9!'clipseDOHC just posted it should have all you need to know in it. And im sure 9!'clipseDOHC can tell you how hard a turbo n/t car pulls

Mine is a full swap, 4G63T (Wiseco 8.3:1 pistons, 6 bolt rods, ACL race bearing, full ARP's), turbo ECU, turbo wiring harness, turbo transmission.

Alright guys thanks alot to all of you i would be back with more question be sure of that but as now im very clear of what im going to do, btw i just took my ECU off no more DSM for me LOL, because if i keep i know im going to end up blowing it and i need to keep a new engine off the list LOL, btw what data logger do you recommend me to use? Oh and i have a 2.02 maf-t witch is a newer version it does more then just tune my injectors even the rpm band could be tune and i have a manual FPR so no need to buy one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back