The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaxzy

Probationary Member
Oct 25, 2022
Europe
Hey everyone im Noah 19yo rn,
just tryna introduce myself here so i can finally communicate with everybody :D.
About a month ago i bought my first car: A 1993 Eclipse 150PS FWD 5Speed with the top trim including a Remus exhaust (im about to loose it, everytime i hear it OMG (and for German-standarts its REALLY f***ing loud)), nicer seats etc.
It had and still has a few problems and misses a little bit of Trim and the interior has seen better days (e.g. first owner was a freak for electronics, and installed 2 more lights in the front, some lights in the doors and overall literally gunked the entire middle console from the undersite with cables, as he installed a button to deactivate/activate the 3rd breaklight, speakers are blown and there is alittle bit of tape on the passengerside of the dash).
~78k km on the dash and the gearbox and engine run just fine, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut has a little coldstart problem as it dies (gotta hold it at 1,8k RPM for 2 mins and the idle is fine and doesnt have any problems anymore). Replaced most of the ECT-sensors already but i am still looking for one specific one (this one:)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
(i have no idea whats the name and/or use of it is, so if you know what it is and maybe where i could buy one, that would be lovely) and im am looking to buy a new idle switch (no, not iac or idle regulator XD) (its located next to the trottle body if i remember correctly).

The Paint has 2-3 very little scratches, but very good for a 30yo car.

Overall very happy with how the car sits today... Im gonna fix the problems, might lower it a bit, finish the exterior trim (little pieces of the chrome-bar-trim is missing) and see where ill go from there.
Here are some random pics i took :D

Hi Shaxzy-

Welcome to the forum, and to the DSM club. Happy to have you. Nice looking car! Please create a profile when you can- and be sure to add your vehicle and it's details to the profile so we can see exactly what you have when answering questions- like for instance, is this a turbo version of the GS? There were several versions. A good picture of the engine bay is always helpful.

The item you have pictured is a thermal valve for the emissions system, that opens and closes a vacuum line with temperature- If it's broken hopefully the lines are plugged.
I see several online here in America at least:

New:

Used:

I have a spare one as well, marked with number MD103867 that may or may not be identical to yours. Can you read any numbers molded into the plastic on yours, or is the main plastic piece broken off?

The idle switch- or idle stop switch- does it look like the one in the photo? Is the tab/wire broken off on yours, and is it connected or disconnected?

Again, Welcome. -wparks

Hi :),
Thanks! I'll create a profil late today or tomorrow, same goes for looking at the sensors and getting an engine bay pic.. as i mentioned, its the 150PS model, so its an N/A Engine.
I already love you guys, for giving the tips XD.

I'll have a look for the parts, now that i know the names, but they seem to be very rare, since i wasnt able to find them before. The other two "copies" of the car (lazer and talon) werent really sold at all here in Germany so i can only get Mitsubishi Parts (and Mitsubishi is a TINY brand here aswell), therefore parts are very hard to find. Thanks for the offer! But before i would import 2 sensors from the states, ill look for them here :D

All the lines are completely undamaged (might change them in the future anyways, since they are probably 30 years old and it would be beneficial to replace them) and the idle stop switch is plugged in.. might only be internal damage since its getting voltage (if i remember correctly, but ill check later).
My english isnt the best, so i have to ask: What do you mean by "If it's broken hopefully the lines are plugged" regarding the thermal valve for the emissions system... You mean that there is stuff in the lines, not allowing air to flow correctly, or do you mean that they are still plugged into the sensor?

@wparks is meaning that if that sensor is broken, it could be a vacuum leak since the hoses that go to it are working vacuum for the engine. If the sensors plastic tips were broken it could be running lean if it has a vacuum leak.
The Idle Stop Switch is a grounding switch. When you are at idle, that switch tells your ECU that you are completely off of the gas and at idle. It is important to keep the car from idle surging. It will connect to ground when your throttle plate is fully closed.
Welcome to the best DSM website on the web!
Marty

Okay thanks, i guess i'll only really need to the idle stop switch then, but ordered both, just in case.
Thanks for having me and for the tips guys :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back