1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

My battery relocation project

Posted by v8s_are_slow, Feb 10, 2018

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. satalsx

satalsx Probationary Member

Joined Aug 28, 2018
    San Antonio, Texas
    Good stuff, just ordered the amp kit for the battery relocation. It'll be here Sunday so fun times ahead

v8s_are_slow likes this.
  2. Brian Blake

Brian Blake Probationary Member

Joined Dec 17, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Do you have a diagram you’re following? I’m trying to do this on a 1g for the same reason, my new set up left me with no room for the battery unless i get a smaller one and drop it down lower in the bay. From all my research every diagram I have found doesn’t include the shut off switch

3. Doubleot

Doubleot Proven Member

Joined Mar 15, 2009
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    Great write up! Im going to be tackling this summer sometime.

Street Build 3K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    279.1 whp · 325.3 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    v8s_are_slow likes this.
  4. Sean Kay

Sean Kay Probationary Member

Joined Dec 29, 2019
    Broadview hts, Ohio
    Great write up and great updates along the way! I can't tell you how many times I'll be reading something and be left hanging because author didn't finish it and never updated on progress. Thank you and I look forward to starting my relocation this weekend with the help of your article.

208  2

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    v8s_are_slow likes this.
  5. v8s_are_slow

v8s_are_slow Proven Member

Joined Sep 30, 2002
    Panama City, Florida
    I had one but probably have to draw one up. You still needing this? Sorry, just noticed your reply.

2K  20

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    10.949 @ 129.77 · 2G DSM
  6. Doubleot

Doubleot Proven Member

Joined Mar 15, 2009
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    Can I ask how many feet of battery wire you ended up using?

Street Build 3K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    279.1 whp · 325.3 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  7. RWD4G63

RWD4G63 Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2011
    Paw Paw, Michigan
    I don't want to hijack your thread, nor do I mean to say you did anything wrong here, as I'm sure it's totally functional. I really like how you fit the battery down in the tire well, that's brilliant. I would like to point out that there are a few things that could be changed or improved upon:

1. You don't need to run two positive cables to the front. A large gauge wire to the starter will suffice. The alternator can then be fed off the starter, and anything else that needs direct battery power can be fed off the alternator.
    2. You may want to consider using circuit breakers instead of fuses for your circuit protection. Usually a wire repair is easier than finding a fuse if something does happen. Something like this:

3. Grounding the batter to the chassis is totally fine, but you may experience a voltage drop or offset doing it this way. Running a negative cable to the engine block ensures minimal voltage drop across all circuits. You can totally do both if you wish.
    4. If you do need a power distribution block up front, there are several cool products out now that are weather proof and don't rely on screw tension on stranded wire. The simplest is just an isolated power stud:
    https://mgispeedware.com/product/stud-junction-block/
    Or if you need something for lower amperage there are things like these:
    http://sealedbussbar.com/Product-Info.php

I do a lot of wiring, and I've experienced a lot of weird issues and such over the years. Hopefully this helps people that are tackling this for the first time.

Road Race Build 230  3

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Sean Kay and Doubleot like this.