The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

2G battery relocation question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etay89

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2009
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
I've been searching through threads for quite some time and can't find the answer...

I want to relocate the battery so would it be okay to just get a 0 or 1 gauge wire, send it from the engine bay to the trunk (where I wanna relocate it) and ground it there too? I think the thing I'm afraid of is people have been saying you need a box to do it (I was gonna use the battery tray plastic and fab something up) and another thing about kill switches for drag racing (is that really necessary if I go to a test n tune?)

Yes, 0 would be fine, but you should really read the rules for where you intend to race before doing anything. Many sanctioning bodies require a kill switch if you move the battery. Others require a vented box if it's anywhere in the same air-space as the driver.

Consider just putting a lawn-mower battery in the stock location. When you add up the weight of wire (plus the hassle), you may find that this is the best solution. It was for me.

Yes, 0 would be fine, but you should really read the rules for where you intend to race before doing anything. Many sanctioning bodies require a kill switch if you move the battery. Others require a vented box if it's anywhere in the same air-space as the driver.

Consider just putting a lawn-mower battery in the stock location. When you add up the weight of wire (plus the hassle), you may find that this is the best solution. It was for me.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I did read about the lawn mower but I'm worried cold starts.

The only strip I would plan to race at would either be the one at the shootout or my local drag strip..which require the battery to be tied down. I'd especially hate to not run at the shootout just because of some slightly stupid but understandable technicalities.

NHRA requires a vented battery box and a kill switch.

SCCA Solo only requires a vented box if the battery is not a sealed one (like an Optima Red Top). I'd suggest putting it in a box anyway. I haven't yet because I was trying to find one that wasn't over sized. I'm probably going to resort to welding one up myself.

I have my battery in the spare tire spot and have 2ga wire from under the hood to the trunk. And then I have 2ga wire grounding it right there in the trunk.

Gotcha, now I guess I'm gonna look up different things.

Granted I don't race but all I did was run a heavy gauge wire for power, grounded to the frame for ground, and made a simple bracket. Doesn't move at all

note: the other wire is to the fuel pump

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you do want to properly run a cutoff switch, you have to separate the alternator and battery from everything else. I have mine setup something similar to this picture.

Attachments

• Batt Relocation.jpg
    Batt Relocation.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 287
What the above picture shows (and it's a good one) is that, depending on where you put the kill switch, you could end up with a lot of 0 or 2 wire in the car, to the point where moving the battery to the rear doesn't save weight. Have I mentioned the lawn-mower battery option? I lived in a moderately cold part of the country and never had a problem starting. A trickle-charger can be your new best friend.

I see a lot of relocation diagrams that show the alternator being run all the way back to the kill switch.

Have people had trouble with tech by running a dual circuit cut off switch, and just using the second circuit to kill the fuel pump circuit, thereby stopping the engine? I've tested it by pulling the fuse on my current fuel pump rewire, and the engine sputters to a stop immediately.

Granted I don't race but all I did was run a heavy gauge wire for power, grounded to the frame for ground, and made a simple bracket. Doesn't move at all

note: the other wire is to the fuel pump

Thanks a ton motozachl! This actually helps me alot so I think I will take your idea and fab up some sort of box so atleast I won't get sass for it at a track (until I put a kill switch in). Thank you for the kill switch diagram idea too gsxtacy. I won't do this now (just because I'm having starting issues... :idontknow::banghead: ) but when I do, I'll put up a pic and mark this resolved.

The car will primarily be a dyno/street car with occasional drag, so weight doesn't bug me. Besides, motivates me that much more to lose weight :)

Merry Christmas y'all

I got 1 gauge wire.

Drilled a hole on passenger side firewall.

Ran it through the kick board and the door jam.

Then the back plastic peice where the speaker is.

Then take out the plastic in the trunk.

And then the little dip on the passenger side in the trunk is my battery. Using a bent peice of metal to hold it in place.

Then I sanded down to metal for the ground in the trunk. Like where the spare goes.

I also drilled holes through the plastic for the wire. I will go take pictures right now.

^^ This is where I have the wire hanging and the initial connecting point.

^^ This is the hole in the wall that I used.

^^ This is where it runs through in the kick board.

^^ This is where the battery is located. You can also see where the holes I drilled for the wire to go through.

^^ This is where I grounded it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back