The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

my 1998 eclipse gsx is cutting out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeforlife3

Probationary Member
Oct 21, 2008
round lake, Illinois
ok so bought my eclipse last week and i have been driving it for the last few days and if i short shift and i want to go faster the will start ticking it feels like the car losing power for like a split second my friend said it could be a boost cut or my cluch slipping but my cluch grabs relly early can some one please help me :dsm:

do a boost leak test. if the clutch is sliping give it gas under load see if rpms go up but the car doesnt go any faster then its slipping

Make sure that you have 91 or better octane fuel in her. The vehicle could be pulling time.

well my first step would be pulling the spark plug wires off to see if oil is getting in there from possibly a cut or rolled spark plug hole gasket. My next step would be inspecting the spark plugs. Is it a misfire? does it feel like a vibration through the steering wheel when it happens?

The ticking is most likely your lifters, if you have had no oil in the car for a while they may need to pump back up which just takes about 30 minutes of driving. Or since they are most likely stock you may just need some revised 3g lifters.

Sounds like oil in the spark plug chambers and its arching to the oil making the sound.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back