The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Motor removal: Chain Hoist Location?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crxp-o-s4now

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2005
chicopee, Massachusetts
I didn't really know what to search under, so if the question has been asked forgive me.

I was wondering where to connect the Chain Hoist on the motor. I know there's 2 pieces of chain, just don't know where to put them.

1g awd talon
Motor and Tranny need to come out together.

Any help is appreciated.

I use seatbelts and wrap on around the right motor mount and the other around the throttle body elbo and it works great. With chains I hooked one side to the right motor mount(driver side) and the other chain to the top two tranny bolts.

JayRolla said:
I use seatbelts and wrap on around the right motor mount and the other around the throttle body elbo and it works great. With chains I hooked one side to the right motor mount(driver side) and the other chain to the top two tranny bolts.

excellent! Thanks for the advice..Mods can close this thread now if wanted.

I use a three chain type hoisting chain and wrap one through the intake manifold, and the other two i take the bolts off the motormount bracket on the drivers side and bolt the chain down to the bracket, one in front, one in back.

BUN

What's wrong with the factory lift points...?

Actuall, what's wrong with mine is that i removed them for the additional .5 lbs weight reduction, but I can bolt them back on. Have fun.

Attachments

• pic for reply.JPG
    pic for reply.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 257
You could use the stock lift brackets. I just didn't like the idea of lifting it all by the aluminum head. I used a bolt on the drivers side motor mount(mounts into the block), and a transmission bolt.

Wow, that is like the 5th time I've seen those brackets still mounted to the car. When I went to go pull the motor a week ago I found those brackets but for the lift of me could not remember where they went.

hewhoisknot said:
Wow, that is like the 5th time I've seen those brackets still mounted to the car. When I went to go pull the motor a week ago I found those brackets but for the lift of me could not remember where they went.

Well, they may not even still be there. that picture is from my 97 that I got rid of a few years ago. I had to use that pic, because as I mentioned, they ARE off of my car. It's funny the crap we'll take off for the unnoticable gains.

pnishr said:
Well, they may not even still be there. that picture is from my 97 that I got rid of a few years ago. I had to use that pic, because as I mentioned, they ARE off of my car. It's funny the crap we'll take off for the unnoticable gains.

thanks for the PM. I bought the motor that's currently in my car years ago and they never had the bracekts on. Whoops

Old thread but thought I'd add some info.
My front tab was there but the rear tab is long gone for unknown reason.

FYI: A chevy 350 motor tab (either one) will fit perfectly for the rear tab. The tab I used came off a late 70s chevy 350. There are literally millions of these laying around in garages (including mineLOL).
btw, you can use either of the two chevy hoist mounts, one is a single bolt and the other is a double. Both use 3/8" bolts. So fortunately the bolt and stud on the intake nearest the CAS are the same size (14mm head...is that 10mm bolt diameter?). I can't remember what the equivalent of 3/8" diameter bolt is but you'll know. The double chevy hoist tab will bolt to both of these "3/8" inch :D bolt/studs (see first pic...didn't do it but you can see both bolt/studs there). However, I wanted to make sure that the strap/chain didn't touch my perdy valve cover so I put the double bolt tab higher and used only one of the mounting points.

Attachments

• 4g63 hoist tabs-chevy 001.jpg
    4g63 hoist tabs-chevy 001.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 153
  • 4g63 hoist tabs-chevy 002.jpg
    4g63 hoist tabs-chevy 002.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 4g63 hoist tabs-chevy 003.jpg
    4g63 hoist tabs-chevy 003.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 192
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back