The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Modified 2g Oil Drain Pipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afizzle

Proven Member
Jan 16, 2013
Dallas, Texas
modified my 2g oil drain tube for a 16g. a lot of threads out there w/ ?'s regarding modifying the 2g drain pipe when upgrading to a 16g. most say to press the bolt holes on the turbo flange inwards and call it a day. i did the same but also snipped the flex off and made my own. i liked it because i could show a lot of attention to the flanges without stressing one another.

both flanges were very well RTV and gasketed. you dont have to use RTV, i just use a pinch on both sides of the gasket. both flanges were mounted and i got a piece of hose measured and cut out. threw some ole clamps on each end of the tube and added oil.

no leaks yet but im gonna let the car sit 12 more hours before driving so i know that hose is legit. it is not a perfect circle at the peak of its curve, it flattened out a little bit but def has room to flow. same amount of space, just elongated rather than circular. you guys think that will cause any pressure issues?

what do you guys think? im thinking shes gonna hold!

:dsm:

Attachments

• IMG_3006.jpg
    IMG_3006.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_6517.jpg
    IMG_6517.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 248
what if a return line like this did kink or "collapse" (idk how a hose collapses LOL).

oil pressure spike?

Well if it kinks, it would prevent oil from draining as it's supposed to and could cause premature turbo failure due to excess oil pressure. This was a common problem with the holsets in DSMs because the oil drains were too small and oil wasn't draining quick enough.

Users then modified their drains to 12-an specifications per Holset, and this problem fixed.

I imagine that a kink in your drain would have the same effect in your 16g. They also make anti-kink coils to prevent this:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

welp, going on 3 hours now and not a drop has leaked. an awesome sight coming from the crappy aftermarket line that came with the install kit..

hope this thread helps somebody out there. when i was searching i couldnt find a thread on whether or not an install kit was necessary.

well to anyone with that question, the answer is no. if youre swapping to a 16g (or 18g 20g i presume) you can reuse all of your factory oil and coolant lines. you can buy an aftermarket kit like i did for 50$ but its such a waste of money. all the oem stuff is the best way to go as always. if you want to replace the old lines with new stuff for the hell of it, just go with oem parts.

You could call it a day and get yourself a 1g drain line. The rubber one should hold up till it comes in the mail. The old-school 16g install kits came standard with one.

The rubber one should hold up till it comes in the mail. The old-school 16g install kits came standard with one.

my kit came from "Kinuwaga" on ebay - definitely do not use the oil return line. think i used 1 gasket and the oil feed line cause its SS and doesnt leak. SS oil feed line for 50$ ouch LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back