The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Mishimoto drain valve

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_0ney_pit

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2007
Easton, Pennsylvania
Just got done with this, thought I would share. I was tired of getting splashed by coolant everytime I took the drain plug out so I did something about it. The drain plug on the 1g dsm mishimotos is M12 x 1.5mm. This is pretty close to 1/4" NPT in dimensions

So what I did was retap the drain boss on the radiator by drilling it out with a 7/16" bit and retap it with a 1/4" NPT tap. You just have to be careful not to go to far in and start drilling/tapping into the radiator core. Then you have to make sure to get all the chips out of the rad and threads by flushing with water.

I picked up a American Valve M100 brass/PTFE valve from lowes, male to male 1/4" NPT adapter, and 1/4" NPT plug for about $12. I installed the valve so it pulls upwards so it can't accidentally open during driving. Heres the spec sheet for the valve http://www.americanvalve.com/pdf/bronze/2.pdf

I AM concerned about the corrosion of the brass but its ok for now, the factory temp switch and sensor seem to do OK. I want to see how this holds up and if it becomes a problem I'll switch to a 316L/PTFE valve 45395K121 from mcmaster car just didn't want to spend the money right now.

It sits about 2" from the up from the bottom of the bumper, not to worried about slamming into it with anything, the intercooler would hit first. Anyway cheers just wanted to share.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Looks like its waiting to catch something and get ripped off to me. :hmm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back