The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

misfire, rough idle after rain with no cel (already searched)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asenseofpurpose94

Probationary Member
Nov 11, 2012
Albany, New_York
Well ever since we had a bad rain storm my car has ran like sh**. I can hear a misfire when I get down under the car but there are no check engine lights. Heres what has been done so far: new NGK bpr6es gapped to .028, new plug wires, new oem fuel pump and filter, injectors have been cleaned, tested for boost leaks and found a crack in the intercooler, which I replaced with another stock side mount ( I knew of the leak before we had the bad rain but didnt have the money for a new intercooler yet and once it rained the car left me stranded at school and had to be towed and wouldnt even start) so I then replaced the intercooler with still no start and then replaced plugs and changed the oil and got it running..... But now it runs super rough and has no power, it's not driveable... It has left me stranded once before.. This was also after driving for about 40 minutes in heavy rain. So I am completely stumped as to what the problem could be.. Maybe water was drawn in through the intercooler leak and is still in there? Happened like a week ago and its been dry and sunny ever since

Definitely fix any intake peaks before doing many others tests and that should save you some time for sure. I'll dig on more info in the mean time.

The car was smoke tested for intake leaks and the only one that could be found was the intercooler crack. However I'm not sure about injector gaskets and IM gasket and vacuum hoses etc.. Because it was tested from the upper if pipe down. Im just so confused it only seems to give me trouble after really bad rain. Could there still be moisture in the engine from the leak?

How much pressure did you do the smoke test at? A regular smoke test is NOT the same as a boost leak test. You need to get the seals, clamps and o rings under pressure, as if they were in boost... if you run 10 psi wastegate pressure then test for 15psi leaks... make sense?

Anyways, aside from that, check electrical plugs and make sure they aren't corroded from water damage. Would be a good time to spray some contact lube in all the connections if a little water made it die.

Well I'm not sure what pressure they tested it at but they tested from the IM down, towards the turbo so there could very well be a leak in the vacuum lines or injector seals for all I know... But my issue with this is that the test was done before it rained bad and the car ran "fine" minus the boost leak... After it rained now it wont drive at all.. It runs but super rough. Since I replaced the intercooler it holds boost no problem but acts choppy like its misfiring but no check engine light. I tested my coilpacks with an ohm meter and the secondary resistances were within spec but the primary read 1ohm.. Spec is like .7-.86 so I'm not sure if that little bit would cause my problems or not?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back