1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Mighty Max DOHC swap

Posted by Keegan Johnson, Jul 11, 2018

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. Keegan Johnson

Keegan Johnson Probationary Member

Joined Jun 30, 2017
    Red Oak, Iowa
    Hey guys. Got a friend who just bought a Mighty Max with a 4g64. Planning on helping him make it DOHC and turbo. I have a 4g61 head that came from a "4g63" from a shady place i shouldnt have bought from haha. I know it will bolt up, but not sure what T Belt i need. Same as a 63 head swap i assume? Just want to double check and see if anyone has done this who has any advice. I figure the 61 head would bump up compression, which would be good, at least for now. Anyone know what the compression would be? Im going to be going EVO3 whenever i get around to finishing mine, and then we might put the little stocker on the MM. So i feel maybe i should have him get an EPROM ecu now rather then later. Can this be done with some simple repinning? Planning on using my stock turbo 63 cams as i put BC 272s in my fresh 6 bolt. Anything else i should be aware of or plan for before tearing into this? Thanks guys!

2. deleted

deleted Probationary Member

Joined Sep 6, 2018
    LA, California
    Compression will be about 13:1 with the flat-top 2v pistons and an OEM headgasket. You can get cast dished pistons for the SOHC 4v engines to bring that down to 10.5:1, and with a 1.2mm headgasket as well, it comes out to about 9.8:1.

Timing gear is the same as with the 4g63 head; you want a kit for the 1994 2.4L DOHC Galant.

3. mitsubishikid

mitsubishikid Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2009
    Turlock, California
    I'll save you even more time, just get a cylinder head for "98 to "05 Hyundai Sonata, "00 to "04 Kia optima, Kia Sorento "02 to "09 Hyundai Santa Fe "01 to "05, basically a clone of the evo only no evo tax LOL, then use an evo exhaust manifold and turbo and the, if your friends truck is a 6 bolt you might have to drill the head bolt holes bigger for the larger 6 bolt head studs, also you have to change the front timing cover to a dohc one, in order to use the tensioner setup for the dohc motor.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    My DSM:
  4. deleted

deleted Probationary Member

Joined Sep 6, 2018
    LA, California
    You can't use the G4JS head with Evo manifolds in a RWD application without quite a bit of work; the turbo ends up pointing backwards, and the bolt pattern isn't reversible on the Evo the way it is on the DSM. My suggestion is stock block, 2G head, G4JS intake manifold, and Evo 8 exhaust manifold, turbo, and O2 housing. This way, everything more or less bolts up (just a bit of drilling and tapping, no cutting and welding) and the intake and exhaust end up on the original sides so the exhaust routing is already figured out and you don't have to worry about the turbo heat soaking your hydraulics.

5. brian9397gsx

brian9397gsx Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2008
    sioux city, Iowa
    Also as far as electronics goes get a 1g turbo harness. The stock mm wont have all the wiring necessary for knock sensor cmp and coil.
    Have you checked out projectzerog ? Lots of rwd conversion information there.

My DSM:
    brian9397gsx 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

19.80 @ 35.55 MPH