The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Street Build Midengine 4G63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjohn23

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2008
phoenix, Arizona
I have had the MR2 (sw20) for 3 years, i purchased the car without an engine. I originally planned to swap the engine with a 4G63 but i decided against it in attempts to be a purest. I went ahead and installed a 3vzfe but never could get it to start. I tried for about a year while working on my 1g but in a turn of events i was in a car accident with my 1g so i now had a complete engine with less than 2000 miles with many u[grades and a full line of aftermarket parts unlike the 3vzfe. After another year i decide to just say bluck it and, i took out that 3vzfe and began this mission. it has been 2 months of work but this is where i am now
IMG_0222[1].JPG

?temp_hash=109b33115a4cccc74831535a6940b39b.jpg

IMG_0258[1].JPG

IMG_0244[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0257[1].JPG
    IMG_0257[1].JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 412
Well, it looks like you have the engine in the right way so that's half the battle!

How's the room look for a turbo up against the firewall?

I have a SW20 MR2 as well and always thought it would be awesome to put a 4G63 into that chassis, so much power potential and easier (see also cheaper) to tune than a 3SGTE.

What did you do with the 3VZ? I only ask because I'm picking one up to swap into my "2" because I blew up the 5SFE while tracking it and my oil coolers fitting leaking all the oil out :ohdamn:

Interesting build. Couple questions:

Have you mocked up the shifter linkage yet?
Is there an exhaust manifold on that head?
Is that the most neutral angle you can get on the drive shafts? The resting CV axle angles look quite extreme.
Are you repositioning the turbo to the trans side?

Keep at it! I sure dont envy any in-place work on the exhaust side haha

Last edited:
@GPLaserRS That Fiero really made me want to just take the risk and do it (especially after seeing matt farah's one take). The big difference between the Fiero and the MR2 is is that Fiero has a ton of room especially between the axles, the mr2 is limited. I still have the 3vzfe, it is from a manual transmission ES300, this combination is very rare. I used the e153 transmission from the ES300 and 1996 Rav4 axles that basically have turbo transmission inners and non turbo mr2 outers( you wont find that information anywhere). The rav4 has a 5sfe but a turbo mr2 transmission, but im sure you going to use the stock tranny.

@sirbow2 There is plenty of space for the exhaust manifold, with it and the turbo in the stock position.
IMG_0273[1].JPG

@curt-s here is the linkage. I am using 1g cables that have been extended about 9 inches or so I am just seeing if this works if not I will buy B & m 6ft cables. The only problem is the connector nut hits when shifting gears and is reverse threaded so it's kind of hard to change unless I bust out the welder
IMG_0271[1].JPG

IMG_0268[1].JPG

@GPLaserRS That Fiero really made me want to just take the risk and do it (especially after seeing matt farah's one take). The big difference between the Fiero and the MR2 is that Fiero has a ton of room especially between the axles, the mr2 is limited. I still have the 3vzfe, it is from a manual transmission ES300, this combination is very rare. I used the e153 transmission from the ES300 and 1996 Rav4 axles that basically have turbo transmission inners and non turbo mr2 outers( you wont find that information anywhere). The rav4 has a 5sfe but a turbo mr2 transmission, but im sure you going to use the stock tranny.

@tjohn23, you found a Unicorn as a donor car.. I didn't even know that you could get the ES300 with a manual, wow! Any interest in shipping the engine and trans to MI so I don't have to buy the 3VZ I have on hold at the yard that has a tick over 100K? Also, I have never seen any documentation on running Rav4 axles with the E-series transmission, so that is a useful bit of info for sure. I'm running the S54 with an OBX LSD (knock-off TRD LSD) and have been pretty happy with it so to keep cost down I'll probably just stick with that trans, plus I have a spare that I wanna swap 5th gear in and change the FD to make it a little happier on the freeway.

Do you have a build thread for this over on MR2.com or MR2oc.com?

Fan-fkin-tastic. The top-view pics dont give a lot i the way of correct perspective so it looked a lot more hopeless looking from above when youre not familiar with the bay dimensions, especially the diff looking so far back from the spindles with no weight on the suspension. You definitely have a good handle on this. Excited to see more

@tjohn23, you found a Unicorn as a donor car.. I didn't even know that you could get the ES300 with a manual, wow! Any interest in shipping the engine and trans to MI so I don't have to buy the 3VZ I have on hold at the yard that has a tick over 100K? Also, I have never seen any documentation on running Rav4 axles with the E-series transmission, so that is a useful bit of info for sure. I'm running the S54 with an OBX LSD (knock-off TRD LSD) and have been pretty happy with it so to keep cost down I'll probably just stick with that trans, plus I have a spare that I wanna swap 5th gear in and change the FD to make it a little happier on the freeway.

Do you have a build thread for this over on MR2.com or MR2oc.com?

This is my first build thread but I completed the whole 3vzfe swap, except the tranny and clutch stuff, I just couldn't get it to start/stay running, there wasn't a large aftermarket, I missed my dsm and I didn't want another fwd. There isn't a large market for the 3vzfe if I had a second chance I would have gone with a newer v6 ( if I were going to stay with a Toyota motor). I have never shipped a motor plus im not sure if it's any good.

I'm going with the 3VZ solely because of the iron block and how easily it can handle boost, and how easy it is to install. The 2GR is an incredible engine and they are becoming more affordable but the swap kit is expensive, and I'm not a fan of drive by wire throttle. I think when I complete my 3VZ swap and get the desire for more power or even reliability I would consider the 2GR then.

I was only half serious about you selling and shipping me the motor and trans, but now that I know about the Rav4 axles I am very interested in running that E-series trans. I only wish you weren't 2000 mi from Michigan.

SO, back on track here.. You are going to have to run custom axles for this build, while you're at it I'd get an LSD to handle the power. I like that I see a Black Box ecu in the trunk though :thumb: What are your plans for the gauge cluster, Autometer gauges on a custom plate or are you going to try and running the stock with the Mitsu sensors? I'm really interested to see how this build goes, it's already full of potential!!

I am almost done, currently working on drivers side axle and gauges but i will take everything apart once i get it test driven and registered. i will include all mods , full documentation and all the parts and strategies i used. I am terrible with posts but i will make full guide or at least some indepth information. As always rwd is better than fwd even better when i can but all the fwd bits

and this is more than a pipe dream or a never project like all of the other one-off mr2 builds. More updates to come!!

Beat me to it. I've had a built turbo sw20 for a while and considering the availability and cost of 3s stuff and also being a dsmer with tons of 4g parts this has always been a longer term project I want to try. There are how many k20 mr2s now? I still can't believe there aren't more nasty 4g mr2s around by now.

Especially if you consider the potential with a built auto.

I've also had an idea I saw proven on one other car to flip the tcase mount 180 going back under the pan forwards for an awd mid engine setup.

@spyderdrifter I want to getting it running and driving then I want to take everything apart mainly for documentation. I want to make sure all my bolts are tightened to spec, I want to paint the bay with just some spray cans just to clean it up and I also want to clean up my welds on my motor mounts ( i flux core welded them and they are ugly) I'm sure they are strong but I'm not proud of them.

SW20 has more style than my 1g and now I hope I can also get better traction. The cost of the 3gste is about about the same as the 4g but all the parts, are not just rare but expensive. I would have preferred to use a the evo motor so the transmission would be on the same side as toyota. I just already had the motor and it has upgrades and modifications. The k20 is like the go to swap just because of that one 1320 video back in 2013 and there is only one mr2 that i have seen (aw11) with a 4g63. Hopefully after i do this more people will try it the 4g63 is solid but fwd is not

Awd would be difficult unless you change the fuel tank to a fuel cell. Everything is low, my axle have a slight angle just so i could raise the engine so the oil pan isn't the lowest point on the car

I had to take a break from the build for a bit so I could work on a quick little 2zzge Aw11 swap( 4age motor blew). I should be wrapping that build up in about 3 weeks and I will continue to work on the 4g63 build.

Also, before I paused the project I was able to drive the car in 1st and 3rd gear there may be a issue with the linkage or transmission since 2nd and reverse are not engaging. I am going to removed the transmission and try to provided greater details on the build stay tuned....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back