The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Megan Racing Downpipe and Catback installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 5, 2008
wahiawa, Hawaii
well this is my first post on this forum, i recently sold my supercharged 1gen xb and got myself a 99 gsx. i was tired of dumping money into the box and getting minimal gains, anyways, i am really enjoying getting cheesed at this car, i am leaning you have a love hate relationship with these cars, hahaha, i have had to fix it on the side of the road a few times, mostly because of a ic coupler that blew off the pipe. as for the thread title, finally, i got a megan racing 3inch downpipe and cat back the other day and spent the day installing them, the cat back wasn't too bad, but the dp was a pita, i had to use a 5lb sledge, a little grinding, and some creative wrenching to get it to bolt up to the 2g o2 housing. finally i got it all installed and it sounds great. here are some pics and a video of the exhaust. btw, pb blaster is the s**t...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

stats at a little under 2.75" and quickly expands to 3"

i will post the vid later today, i have to resize it... the exhaust sounds great though, i am really pleased with it, and it was a great price and great quality.

Looks good! :thumb:

I like the way mine sounds also. Only had a couple of fitment issues that involved the flanges at the test pipe to hit the drive shaft. All I had to do is take a grinder and grind down the edges on the flanges. Works great now. I do wish mine would hang down a little bit farther in the back. It touches my bumper cover.

I tried getting a megan downpipe, but every vendor was out of stock. Where did you get yours? I ended up getting a ebay downpipe for 120 shipped, but still need a catback.

how much did you have to dent in the top of the downpipe to get it to connect to the 02 house? Im debating wether to dent it in or put on a new 02 housing which i dont want to do.

Nice pics, Does that down pipe eliminate the cat converter or are you still using it or test pipe?

heres the vid...

i didn't have to dent it too bad, but it was still a pain in the butt to install. as far as performance gains, i haven't really gotten to test it out too much yet, but it does feel better in 2nd at least, it just "feels" like it is flowing great. the downpipe eliminated the cat, but i registered my car in oregon so i don't have to worry about emissions.

also... i got both the dp and catback off ebay, it was great, i had a 10% off coupon from ebay for the catback, and $10 off coupon for shipping on the dp, so it worked out pretty good.

i bought a dp off ebay, a "no brand" one for 90 bucks shipped, and it turned out to be the megan racing 3" cat eliminating dp.

anyway, what do you mean by denting in the downpipe? i'll be mating the dp to a punishment racing o2 housing. and did you have to grind down the surface of the flange on the o2 housing side to get it to sit flush?

i think with an aftermarket o2 you will be good to go, but with the 2g o2 the studs are too close together to get the nuts on, so i used a 6in extension and a hammer and "tapped" in the pipe slightly so i could get the nuts on and tightened. the only place i used the grinder was to grind the welds slightly so i could tighten the nuts.

i think with an aftermarket o2 you will be good to go, but with the 2g o2 the studs are too close together to get the nuts on, so i used a 6in extension and a hammer and "tapped" in the pipe slightly so i could get the nuts on and tightened. the only place i used the grinder was to grind the welds slightly so i could tighten the nuts.

Exactly what I did when I installed mine a while back. Not too bad, but in order to really tighten it you're gonna have to do some slight hammering. I just put my megan o2 housing on today to get rid of the nasty exhaust leak coming from where the downpipe connects to the stock housing. The angle wasn't perfect and it leaked out of the back. Now there's no more leak and it sounds a million times better. For the price for a complete megan turbo back exhaust, you really can't go wrong. I'd give it 2 thumbs up ROFL

Exhaust sounds good man, I'm running stock open downpipe and it sucks so bad. Got downpipe and test pipe, just waiting to get mani in so I can do this all at once.

yeah, i am going to be installing a 14b this week, i am thinking i am going to wait until i get a 02 so i don't have to do it later, just take care of it all at once.

anyway, what do you mean by denting in the downpipe? i'll be mating the dp to a punishment racing o2 housing. and did you have to grind down the surface of the flange on the o2 housing side to get it to sit flush?

As your picture shows the megan pipe is 2.5 inch ID and has slotted bolt holes. It will fit up to a 2G O2 but the studs are tight against the inside so you can not get the nuts to go on. One solution (the one I used) is to dent the pipe in at the very top so you can install the nuts. The way I did it was to use two 1/2 extentions where the bolt holes are and placed it in a vice and squeezed to dent in the pipe so the bolts would go on. I then used a couple of stainless washers and put the nuts on upside down. Worked great.

I also went the next step and cut the pipe and installed a 3 inch high flow cat to keep it legal. I installed the downpipe, mated it up to the cat back and measured where I had to cut. Removed the DP, cut it and slid the cat into place and then bolted everything together and tightened down the cat with 3 inch clamps. then it was pulled one last time, weled and when installed lined up perfect.

Sounds good man, Just wate till you set off your first car alarm!! haha I like to go to a parking garage and open it up. On the way out stop and listen to all the alarms going off!!

i use to set off car alarms all the time in my 97gtp, it was great fun. as far as the minimal bends, that is what sold me on the kit, i was thinking of going hks or n1, but after researching i decided to save a couple hundred bucks and try the megan, so far i am not disappointed.

Gotta love that 10% off coupon on ebay, I just got mine the other day and am going to be installing it this weekend, the d/p looks amazing.

Where you guys getting these 10% off coupons?
And that seems a little pricy for a megan product.

ebay sent me an email/message with the coupon, you can also find them on their ads... also, the quality exceeds the price... i am very pleased...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back