The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Many questions about axles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
Ok i recently installed some tokico illuminas and springs dropping my car 1.75 inches. Since i did, when i make right turns my car vibrates really hard and loud and under wot my car shakes really bad. I think my cv joint may be bad in the front right but after reading several threads i cant pin down exactly what axle to buy. Ive heard people say that no local part stores ever get the parts right and they wind up ordering 3 or more before getting the correct part. Also i have a 6 bolt swap and i dont know if i have a 1g or 2g transmission, how can i tell? Does it make a difference in what axle i should get? Ive read that you can replace that specific axle with a fwd one and ive read that the fwd driver side will not work cause there is not enough clearance for the CV Joint. The Joint hits on the Transfer case... could my problem be that?

I called orileys and they said they had several options for me to choose from that there were several lengths and there was something like a 25 spline and a 27 spline, which confused me even more. I just want to keep my suspension and rid my car of the vibrations. So does anyone know the part numbers on awd axles? And does it make a difference if theyre for a 2g or a 1g? thanks for your time. (p.s. I prefer not to buy online, i would rather go through orileys or napa.. i need the part asap and orileys has alimited lifetime warrenty on everything.)

It's strictly only on right turns? going straight any noises, vibration or grumbling sounds. Also did this start happening right after install?

after dropping the car did you get it aligned? Doesn't really sound like a axle to me. sounds more like an alignment issue. when you drop the car like this, it completely changes the suspension geometry. It must be put on a rack afterward to put everything back in spec... right now both wheels are probably leaning out at the tops, and I'm willing to bet they are angled to the outside at the fronts.

If you didn't get it aligned that is...

^most of the time it should be the opposite, as you lower the car the more negative camber is achieved. popping out at the top is a sign of positive camber. I agree with the alignment though, I seriously doubt it's your axle.

No it does need to be aligned ive got negative camber, but the issue i have is no allignment issue, though im sure it isnt helping. When im making right turns it literally feels like my wheel is held on by one lug nut half way tightened. I jacked the car up, put it on stands, and put a jack under the lower control arm. I jacked it up to where the wheel would normally be and turned the wheel to the right and i couldnt spin the hub over, like the cv was snagging inside. then i did it to the other side and the other side spun free as long as i diddnt have a jack under the passenger side so i believe when the weight of the car is on the axle combined with the drop and turning the wheel the cv is slipping, or it has too much stress on it and it is popping. Regardless it is far to bad to be an allignment issue. Im trying to get the turning problem fixed before worrying about the allignment.

It's strictly only on right turns? going straight any noises, vibration or grumbling sounds. Also did this start happening right after install?

Yes the rough vibration is strictly when turning RIGHT. Ive read every single thread about the wot vibration and it seems like it happens to a lot of people when they drop their cars, but not a single person has fixed it to my knowledge.

have you removed the axle to see how the splines and do an inspection of the whole axle?

No that was next on my list, i checked the ball joints, control arms, wheel bearings, all bushings, no slack anywhere, all bolts tight. I assumed that when i jacked the car up by the suspension and one side wouldnt turn that basically implied that it was a rotary problem on that one side. I am fairly new to suspension components however. I am open to any and every suggestion anyone may have. This car is my baby, ive invested a lot of money in dropping it, rims, and it was supposed to be going into paint next weekend but after reading that other people never fixed theire vibrating problems im starting to get discouraged and thinking i wasted all my money on making my car nice when its going to ride bad you know?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back