The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Magnus SMIM and PCV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUTSI

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2002
T.O., Ontario_Canada
Hey guys...

Just wondering what the guys using a Magnus manifold did with regards to the PCV valve?
(since there are no provisions for a hook up back to the manifold)

My PCV is still in...only difference is now there's just a hose leading out the PCV to the atmosphere (kinda just dumping out behind the block somewhere) LOL

Thats ok....right?

I mean, its primary function is to vent excess crankcase gases/vapors under idle or normal driving...then shut under boost. Normally, it would vent into the intake....this way it just vents into the air.
This wouldnt/shouldnt have any effect on vaccum or anything like that...correct?

I have a feeling I already know the answer to this.....but just to make sure! :coy:

I used the same fitting as the boost gauge on the back of my magnus to keep the stock pcv system in working order. I bought a T fitting that has 2 fuel line sized openings, and one small opening for the boost gauge. I placed the T fitting before the pcv valve on the valve cover. This way when boost kicks in, the valve will close, and you will have the reading on your boost gauge because it is hooked up to the T before the pcv valve. And while your at idle, the valve will open and allow the system to work as it did with the stock setup. I did not want to go through this just to make it work, but it is well worth it because the car smokes when I did not have it hooked up the stock way. I am also the only person on these forums that has stock pcv system functioning with the magnus manifold. At least I think so...

Sorry to wake this up...

Am I correct in guessing that the pcv valve is basically not doing anything to help equalize the pressure in the crankcase under boost or at idle if it's disconnected from the intake or routed through a catch can? So basically unless the intake manifold is ported to the stock PCV that there's really no way to help the rings seal better?

My Magnus Intake Manifold gets here Monday. My engine is excessively polished and well-fitted with -AN lines everywhere, and I'm considering having -8AN fitting bungs welded onto my polished valve cover, but right now I'm having second thoughts. I want to make improvements to the crankcase ventilation without sacrificing the life of my rings and was also considering getting a Greddy catch can, but I'm starting to think it won't work right for my situation.

Is it possible to make a Greddy catch can work with the Magnus intake manifold? If there's a better setup, I'm all ears. Forgive my noobness where PCV/catch cans are concerned, but I'm here because I searched. I'd like to sorta future-proof the PCV system, and expense + fabrication is not a problem.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I am installing a JMF SMIM and want to know if the catch can setup that I have in mind will work.

If I delete the PCV valve and install the straight through fitting and run both the VC breather and the old PCV valve fitting to a single catch can, and then have the catch can connected to a fitting in my FP intake pipe. Means I would need 3 fittings on the catch can, 2 in and 1 out. Would this work or am I SOL and need to hook up 2 catch cans and have both receiving vacuum from the intake pipe?

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I am installing a JMF SMIM and want to know if the catch can setup that I have in mind will work.

If I delete the PCV valve and install the straight through fitting and run both the VC breather and the old PCV valve fitting to a single catch can, and then have the catch can connected to a fitting in my FP intake pipe. Means I would need 3 fittings on the catch can, 2 in and 1 out. Would this work or am I SOL and need to hook up 2 catch cans and have both receiving vacuum from the intake pipe?

Yes, that will work..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ok thanks, where did you get that catch can from? Most catch cans I find have two fittings and one drain fitting. Or did you buy one with a breather ontop and just put a fitting on the top?

FYI: Greddy catch can bungs are 3/4" BSP. You can buy 3/4" BSP-to-AN fittings and just replace the barbs. I had another hole drilled in mine and tapped 3/4" BSP to add the third fitting. Since that tap is nearly impossible to find, I dropped it on a machine shop who charged me like $5 because they like me.

The catch can (15mm universal version) was $40 on ebay.

The fittings and hose cost 3x as much as the catch can.

FYI: Greddy catch can bungs are 3/4" BSP. You can buy 3/4" BSP-to-AN fittings and just replace the barbs. I had another hole drilled in mine and tapped 3/4" BSP to add the third fitting. Since that tap is nearly impossible to find, I dropped it on a machine shop who charged me like $5 because they like me.

Would you happen to have any pics of your setup?

FYI: Greddy catch can bungs are 3/4" BSP. You can buy 3/4" BSP-to-AN fittings and just replace the building arbs. I had another hole drilled in mine and tapped 3/4" BSP to add the third fitting. Since that tap is nearly impossible to find, I dropped it on a machine shop who charged me like $5 because they like me.

Your videos are bomb!!!!!! Make more!!!

The PCV system works during decel when the throttle plate is closed during high vacuum operation.

I will eliminate the PCV valve at the VC, weld a male -8AN bung to the top of the VC and use -8AN hose routed to a sealed catch can.
Then I'll run -8AN hose to a 1 way check valve so the catch can doesn't get pressurized during boost.
The valve allows excess combustion gases to be drawn thru the catch can from the VC into the intake manifold during high vac operation.

This will eliminate decel back fires completely.

Sorry I missed this...

Would you happen to have any pics of your setup?

Here's a screenshot from a video of what it looks like today. I've got tech videos posted of what I did to my valve cover to prevent excess oil blow-by, making -AN hoses and a slew of other unrelated crap that's happened since then. She's all straight now!

The hoses are 2 -8AN Stainless Steel lines (overkill) to a greddy can (that I want to mod quite a bit more), and one -14 AN line that came with it to a DeJon intake.

I could run a second line to the intake because both it and my catch can have another port, but it's not smoking with only one, and making another hose would cost me as much as a whole tank of gas in my truck. $75 today. OUCH! Only advice I have for anyone using stainless AN lines for vacuum (I know, ridiculous) is, don't let them rub on anything you don't intend to slowly cut in-half.

This will eliminate decel back fires completely.

By "back fires" do you mean that random gurgle during downshifts? Or are you actually backfiring?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 11.51.34 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 11.51.34 PM.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 127
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back