The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

MAFT installed after the BOV and no return hose to the intake

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBWaterfowler

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2007
Huntington Beach, California
Hello,

I'm looking for some overall information about atmosphere blow off on a 1G DSM.

I have searched, but not found what I was looking for.

I have a MAFT installed after the BOV and no return hose to the intake (the typical information floating around).

I didn't buy the MAFT so I could blow off into the atmosphere, but now that it's installed I want to know what, if anything needs to be done so that everything is running as good as stock or better.

I understand how running the MAF after the BOV will let you meter the air correctly for atmosphere blow off.

There are a few things I was wondering about, and maybe some things I haven’t even considered.

One thing is the BOV itself seems to be leaking at idle. I also seem to hear a lot more creaking and whistling and other leaking type of noises. Do I need to get an atmosphere BOV? Can I simply crush my stock 1g bov (temp fix?)? Maybe it would be much better to just find a hose to re-route the BOV?

Another thing. I'm using the dejon upper i/c piping that has a space for the MAF to be mounted after the BOV. BUT! There is a curve right before the pipe meets the MAF. I have heard that you want as much of a strait shot as you can before the MAF to avoid getting the wrong signal. There is also the matter of the BOV being mounted near the MAF. I'm not sure if there is a "preferred distance" that makes a noticeable difference?

Does anyone know what I would want to be paying attention to for atmosphere blow off?

I really don't care if it is recirculated or not.

Thanks!

I would do a boost leak test to be sure that your bov is functioning properly. "Crushing" it does help to put more tension on the spring but dont go too much cause you cant go back.. I would think you want a pretty straight shot to the maf as well. When i ran a maft, i believe my bov was approximately a little over a foot away with no bad effects. I think it may be kind of common for 1g bov to slightly leak at idle but will hold when pressure is applied, not 100% thought i read it somewhere

Have you seen this forum?
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/834-venting-atmosphere.html#post5284
This is under the Top 10 DSM Q&A's

I'm not sure if that will answer what you're asking, which is hard to distinguish. If it's leaking at idle you should probably check to see if everything lines up. And maybe the spring is too loose that activates the air to exit through the BOV. Try tightening that up and see if it will hold the air pressure. It might be going bad too.
If it's still going to leak, even if you did get a reroute kit, you're still going to lose boost.

The 1G is open at idle. This isn't leaking, this is proper function. It doesn't tend to leak until about 20psi
DDG- Talon BOV mod for HIGH BOOST
if you do that, or just block the hole, then it won't leak boost out anymore. A boost leak test will tell you for sure if it's leaking under pressure.

I've heard there is no good way to setup the MAF in blow through. You just put it in and hope for the best and compensate for the issues. Even the guys at DSMlink don't recommend putting the GM in blow through.

If your not running DSMlink, the only other way to increase your airflow by a good 200% is to relocate the MAF, and use a translator. It increases spool time, and its just a plus that you now have a show off valve.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back