The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

LOUD POP! now tranny wont go in gear, stays in nuetral

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbeing1

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2005
Palm Beach, Florida
Alright i was driving home from this place on I-95. Alright, for about 2 weeks ive been hearing this loud clanking sound, i showed to a couple shops and some ppl and they all said its probably the balance shaft bearing, i could have sworn it was comming from under the tranny but everyone said the soucd will echo and im mistakened. Well i was driving home the other day on Interstate 95 and i stepped on the car to pass this crazy guy in a Jeep. So the car goes roooOOO (like its gonna downshift or move or w/e) then POP or a BOOM! and then its like the car all of a sudden got shifted into nuetral and it stays there. I try to downshift to stop and i hear a littl downshift noise but the car doesnt slow. Well eventually i get to the side of the road and i sit for about a minute and i realize that clanking sound (supposidly from the balance shaft bearing) has gone, NO more sounds. Well im partially happy because now at least i know its not the engine and its the tranny. Well I mess with the tranny and shift it into reverse....nothing, stays in nuetral. Does anyone know what this could be? Tq converter maybe? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys:rocks:

oh and im positive its not the balance shaft bearing anymore, i revved it up and NO more sounds. Also now my car wont start. i try to turn it over to start and all i hear is a buzzing sound from under the hood, possibly i messed up the starter? thanks!

laserspeeddemon said:
is it auto?
yea its auto....could have swore this was the autotranny section:p

You could have damaged your final drive which is your ring and pinion. Or, you could have broken an axle inside the joint or de-splined an axle. Various things could be the problem. Quite possibly you will need some eyes-on advice for this.

I'm puzzled about the sudden no start. Zinging could be the battery is dead and not sending enough juice to the starter.

I would put it up on jack stands both front and rear since it's an awd. Start it up and observe your axles to see if they try to spin inside the outer joints or such.

You never know. Just be careful.

Good Luck

Old Mitsu Tech said:
You could have damaged your final drive which is your ring and pinion. Or, you could have broken an axle inside the joint or de-splined an axle. Various things could be the problem. Quite possibly you will need some eyes-on advice for this.

I'm puzzled about the sudden no start. Zinging could be the battery is dead and not sending enough juice to the starter.

I would put it up on jack stands both front and rear since it's an awd. Start it up and observe your axles to see if they try to spin inside the outer joints or such.

You never know. Just be careful.

Good Luck

Alright, ill try that first thing tommorrow morning. Thanks!:rocks:

Sbeing1 said:
i was driving home the other day on Interstate 95 and i stepped on the car to pass this crazy guy in a Jeep. So the car goes roooOOO (like its gonna downshift or move or w/e) then POP or a BOOM! and then its like the car all of a sudden got shifted into nuetral and it stays there.

This is what happened to me last night on my way to the paint booth.

My transmission has no gear except nuetral. Even in park you can push it forward or backward.

I also have a massive leak from between the transmission and transfer case. This leak is pouring out as bad as if you poured fluid in w/o the transmission pan plug.

I had just dropped my engine and trasmission back in after installing a new flexplate and replacing the input shaft seal. The car drove fin without and leaks for about 1 mile before I heard the loud popping noise. I am asssuming it's my pump seal or the convertor. I don't see how the convertoe could come out though being bolted onto the crank and all.

For you Sbeing1 I would pull of the dust cover for the converter and see if it will turn or has any movement to it as it sound like the flexplate to converter bolts or flex to crank have come loose . I guess the sound everybody thought was the bs would do it all the time when the engine was running ,could you make it go away by putting in gear or anything else ?

DNA666 it sound like maybe the center diff has gone bad causing the output shaft to be pushed to one side and causing the oil leak .You could jack up one side of the car and have it in park and turn the rear wheel and it should turn the front one ,it will be stiff because of th LSD in the rear diff but it will turn .

Hope this helps

spoolamatic said:
DNA666 it sound like maybe the center diff has gone bad causing the output shaft to be pushed to one side and causing the oil leak .You could jack up one side of the car and have it in park and turn the rear wheel and it should turn the front one ,it will be stiff because of th LSD in the rear diff but it will turn .

Hope this helps

Rear tire turns the front tire. So the diff is good then? Probably the pump.

spoolamatic said:
For you Sbeing1 I would pull of the dust cover for the converter and see if it will turn or has any movement to it as it sound like the flexplate to converter bolts or flex to crank have come loose . I guess the sound everybody thought was the bs would do it all the time when the engine was running ,could you make it go away by putting in gear or anything else ?

Hope this helps

Yea they did come loose... but this topic is SUPER old.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back