The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Loud lifters or smashing valves

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hubbell91Tsi

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 1, 2009
Bentleyville, Pennsylvania
Well i recently blew my headgasket and i replaced it and put it all back together but it sounds like my lifters are going crazy. My compression is 150 150 110(??) 150 and it looks like e85 is getting into my exhaust and see some fluid coming out of the manifold.

I just recently did a valve job and head gasket replacement on my car. I can still remember the noise my car made when I initially heard the valves bend. It was a ridiculously loud clacking noise. And it was just the intake valves that had gotten bent. Shoddy workmanship from a mechanic shop was the cause. They didn't tension the timing belt correctly. Actually, after doing all the work myself, it's amazing the car ran for 2 weeks. They really didn't do anything right. They just slapped the belt on and said "It's done!"

Did you remove the cams from the head at all?

I'm assuming the timing was correct when you installed the belt. Make sure the hydraulic tensioner is within specs. I used a 5/8th and 3/16th drill bit to check. The smaller should fit, but the bigger should not. Otherwise you may end up jumping the belt at the crank (which is what happened to my car).

The tensioner is brand new 0 miles. I run 10w40 oil and havent had a problem before ive had the head off like 5 times... not sure whats going on but to me it sounds like a lifter because ive had the car running for 1-2 mins and i think if it was a vavle it would be running anymore LOL.

if the valves were hit it would be skipping and popping....

what is your set up? 6 bolt lower end with the 2g head?

if the head had a Vjob, and the shop did not remove the oil galley plugs in the head, then you could have some blockage there.

it just was a dead lifter... but i ended up pulling the engine and doing an abs delete because im tired of this stock sidemount LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back