The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Locked out of 2nd 4th & Reverse! (Not the Cables)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstCarIsA GSX

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2010
Riverside, California
Hey guys I've been out of the DSM game for a few years now because the car has been left sitting due to the transmission locking me out of 2nd 4th and reverse. I'm finally taking the time to get to the bottom of this issue and could use some insight. The car is a 98 GSX. It also has the Jacks 2.2 HD build with Evo 3 first and 5th gears installed. Before we have everyone hopping in here stating it has to be the cables... the transmission is out of the car and I still cant manually move it into those gears. It also can't be the shift forks because they control two gears 3rd & 4th etc. The only thing I can think of that has any correlation between 2nd 4th & reverse is possibly the shift rails? I've built a few engines for these cars but never rebuilt a transmission so would really appreciate someone with more experience helping educate on me on what could cause this strange issue. Thanks!

Is the pop up shift part (on the transmission, don't know what to call it) moving up and down or is it stuck?

@twicks69 can see the inside without opening it up :sneaky:.
Maybe we can get a trans guru to chime in.

If it is out of the car, then I am suspecting a shift selector retainer pin working it's way out and causing the issue, or something broken is causing the selector to not have full range of movement.

$25 it is the selector pin internally.

If it is out of the car, then I am suspecting a shift selector retainer pin working it's way out and causing the issue, or something broken is causing the selector to not have full range of movement.

$25 it is the selector pin internally.

Awesome thanks man! The trans was torn apart to try and diagnose this issue the first time I had it happen. They couldn’t find anything wrong and I threw it back in and within 25 miles the problem came back. so something like the selector pin would make a lot of sense.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back