The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Tranny will not go into 2nd 4th or reverse easily.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frigginlazer

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2004
maurertown, Virginia
Ok up until now my car has been running great with no costly problems. I think that ended last night unless you guys can help me. 90 laser RS FWD Turbo 5spd all stock.

I was g0oing to work on the Interstate cruising at 85 for about 90 miles. I slowed down to about 60 for my exit and attempted to down shift into 4th for the turn obn my exit. I pushed the clutch adn pulled my shifter out of 5ht and tried to drop it into 4th but it felt like I was hitting a wall with the shifter.. It would not go into gear at all. I put it back into 5th and lugged the heck outta it untill I hit a red light and had to stop. Once stopped I started trying to get it into different gears. It will still go into 1st, 3rd and 5th normally with little pressure needeed, but at that time it would not pick up 2nd, 4ht or reverse. after lugging it from 1st to 3rd to 5th for a couple stop lights I lost my temper and yanked he hell outta it and it went into 4th. Now it wil go into all the gears, but 2nd, 4th and reverse feels really tight, feels like it is sticky and dosent really want to go in gear. there is no grinding or any sort of noise when in any gear. It feels lie there is a rad hose or something stiff and rubber in the way of the linkage that I have to push outta the way to shift. but still 1st, 3rd and 5th feel great.

I have looked at my linkage, both under the shifter and on the tranny, but all looks well.

any one have any ideas? I have to go to work again tonight but then I have the nest 3 days off. I think I am going to pull the cables off and see if I can narrow it down to the shifter, the cables, or something in the tranny.

Assuming the worst if I have to replace my tranny what is a good one to get, where and how much? I plan on building my car to 300 or MAYBE 350 HP max. I guess if I have a fubar'd tranny I may as well replace it with something that will work for that huh? But I am hoping that It wont get that far. I really cant afford on right now.

Any ideas, please.

MIke :laser:

I had the same problem and I replace my linkage and all it's correct. The cover on the cable are broken.

God I hope so. thanks for the reply. are you taling abut ONLY the cables? or the little brackets it attaches to on both ends?

Mike :laser:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back