The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Little bit of White smoke by the exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1992_Talon_tsi

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2009
MIAMI, Florida
Whats up guys here im having a little apparently (problem). Ok so what is happening is: when i start the car everything is normal but as soon as a accelerate at about 3000-3500 rpm the turbo spools normally, when i check my exhaust it was blowing a little bit of white smoke, Now could this be cause by too much oil pressure on the turbo or running too lean i dont know what else could it be? (Turbo its new it has regular shaft play), and this has happened since the beginning but im a little curious about it now...

Turbo its new it has regular shaft play
if its a new turbo it won't have "regular" shaft play
your most likely burning oil off your turbo if its smoking under boost
maybe rings?

already like about 2 month it has the typical little shaft play up and down witch its normal, no side to side shaft play symptom, i was thinking and maybe too much oil its feeding the turbo witch i read somewhere that it could cause this i dont know not sure any thoughts?

If the smoke has a bluish tint to it, its usually oil burning and if its white and sweet smelling, its usually your coolant. If you are worried about burning fluids, check your oil and coolant levels to make sure that you are not going beyond safe oil and coolant levels.

Also there could be other causes than the turbo as well. Your rings could be going bad as stated above, could be valve seals leaking a little bit, could be oil getting past the seals in the turbo. Check to see if you can identify the smoke first and keep an eye on the fluid levels. You can also do a compression check and a leakdown test to find out if its those things or even a headgasket. Headgasket being the least likely if only a little smoke comes out under boost.

ok so just check for more news and its not blowing smoke at all anymore, now its even a smaller amount hardly notable and the smell was the typical 93 octane fuel, im thinking that the cause is by too much oil going into the turbo, im going to restrict my oil feed line a little bit and see whats the result...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back