The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

lifters ticking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ant

Probationary Member
Jan 15, 2005
Kennewick, Washington
I bought my car with 91k miles and prior to buying it I took it to a local machanic to check it out for any problems. No problems there, to make a long story short. Shortly after I bought the car it developed a ticking coming from the general vicinity of the head. Which has progressively got worse. I took it to the dodge dealership cause mitsubishi wont service an eagle talon, they say they checked the crankshaft for walking and it was fine. they say they are positive the ticking is coming from the lifters and they want my permission to tear it down to the lifters ($200) to see if my extended warrenty will cover it, if my warrenty covers it then they will pay for everything. :thumb: if not I have to fork out like $600 in order to get it fixed. :mad: with a min of $200 if I cant afford the 600. What should I do? I only have 2000 miles left on my extended warrenty :confused: :talon:

When I'm at an idle is when the ticking happens. My oil pressure drops and my ticking starts. can be heard right after I start the car when it idles down or when I'm at a red light for more than a few seconds if I rev it a lil it stops the ticking. then starts again when it idles down

Buy all new lifters or upgrade to 3g lifters that have better oil flow check the VFAQ for the easy way to do it instead of taking the cams out:http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html i did htat on 2 of my lifters and rockers because they were making a horrible noise :mad: its pretty easy u just have to make shure to get some oil in them then get the oil out then put the lifters in the head and it might tick at start up but it will go away :thumb: good luck

Ant said:
they say they are positive the ticking is coming from the lifters and they want my permission to tear it down to the lifters ($200) to see if my extended warrenty will cover it, if my warrenty covers it then they will pay for everything. :thumb: if not I have to fork out like $600 in order to get it fixed. :mad: with a min of $200 if I cant afford the 600.
Man, I'd like to see a shop in California even think about pulling that kind of bullshit. Let's all guess what way that little expedition would go, shall we? You'd wind up owning a dealership trying that down here.
You have a DSM. Its lifters will tap. You can try some Lucas or Restore or other harmless band-aids, and they may "fix" it, but unless you go to revised lifters (which you don't need), they're probably going to tick. It's why the volume knob on the stereo is so big.

You know, up into the seventies, that was a sound that meant you had a seriously performance-inclined engine, and it was as much a part of sports driving as squeaking disk brakes.

Things change. The only thing that remains the same is shady mechanics and their service writers.

Defiant said:
Man, I'd like to see a shop in California even think about pulling that kind of bullshit. Let's all guess what way that little expedition would go, shall we? You'd wind up owning a dealership trying that down here.
You have a DSM. Its lifters will tap. You can try some Lucas or Restore or other harmless band-aids, and they may "fix" it, but unless you go to revised lifters (which you don't need), they're probably going to tick. It's why the volume knob on the stereo is so big.

You know, up into the seventies, that was a sound that meant you had a seriously performance-inclined engine, and it was as much a part of sports driving as squeaking disk brakes.

Things change. The only thing that remains the same is shady mechanics and their service writers.

I agree with Defiant. Quit listening to the damn mechanics and dealerships. You should know that by now. I have a ticking noise coming as well but only at low rpms during 2.7k to 2.9K it will tick if i hold it there. My Motor is almost new, with 20k miles on it and yet the lifters still tick, not on idle or startup though like you describe. You own a DSM, get used to the ticking or use some Engine restoration or Lucas Oil Stabilizer and see if that helps. Go the cheap way first, and see if it improves, and if it does, why spend that $600 (ridiculous) on some f-ing lifters...dude i know where that money would go..but it defenitly wouldnt go on some lifters. You might regret it if u found out all u needed was some Lucas and some thicker oil, or better yet, try a different brand oil. If your a rich daddys son, than by all means go pay some mechanics or dealerships to rip u off. $600 is almost like a rebuilt or new head.

Thanx guys I'll just try lucas I was thinking about that last oil chang but decided I wouldnt because I was using mobil1 I did try some marvelous mystery oil stuff too but that didnt fix it I guess I'll just have to deal with it just so long as its not going to make a more costely repair later. and I wish I was some rich daddy's boy

Lifters don't always just sound bad, in my case, they were causing my knock sensor to read about 40 counts of knock and pulling my timing to near zero and even into negative sometimes, and that's just cruising around! Ordered revised lifters, swapped em in, took about an hour, and I'm not a mechanic by any means. VOILA, 30+ degrees of timing, 0 counts of knock, and no more annoying tick tick tick. For $150 and an hour of my time, it was VERY worth it. :thumb:

Jason

i was told by my friend that works at a delearship that my ticking was the lifters
when i start it up and it ildes it doesn't tick you rev it just a lil it ticks then you rev more and it goes away and let it idle back down and it ticks for just a secound then stops
is that my lifters i was wondering if it could be the enjectors or somthin?
even if it is my lifters whats the worst thing that would happen if i dont fix it

I can't hear it when im driving or anything,, Just wanna make sure its not gonna make me end up rebuilding the head or somthin?????
:dsm:

I don't think ticking lifters could cause any major damage. But if it gets bad enough (like mine was) your knock sensor WILL pick it up as knock and pull timing, making your car slower.

AHH! dont use that lucas oil crap. ive used it in 2 cars and my dad in 3 and every single time we used it it frothed up the oil full of oxygen, and in my dad got rid of his civic when that crap rolled a bearing and warped the crankshaft

anybody else got an opinion on the lucas oil treatment? I'm going to have to do something about these damn lifters.

well they dont really hurt your car, but if you really dont like the sound of them, put a fart can on the back of your exhaust

If your car feels hestitant then your lifters could be causing knock, otherwise leave them alone. My EGR solenoid ticks very loud and it sounds like lifter tick. It only does it when I am at low rpms.

how many miles does it have, I may be carbon buildup on the pistons. This is very unlikely but i have seen it a few 2gs with a lot of miles using low grade gas. if this is the case, try Mopar combustion champer cleaner

sorry, I just say the 91K (its late), i would try the revised lifters, or just try cleaning them as shown in the vfaq or tech articles, cleaning them worked in my case.

You can upgrade to 3 g lifters which work... You can run trans fluid with your oil about a quart for 300 to 400 miles. yeas i said atf it has way more detergent than oil/ and your dish soap. it will clean the crud from the lifters oil build up then change your oil. If you ever looked at the inside of a auto tranny the metal is always clean. Make sure to change you filter also...I know this is common sense but.. It works I have had to do it a coiuple times.. but no lifter noise no tearing down the engine until rebuild time.

K, I got some Lucas Oil Stabilizer, how much should I use?

DV8 said:
You can upgrade to 3 g lifters which work... You can run trans fluid with your oil about a quart for 300 to 400 miles. yeas i said atf it has way more detergent than oil/ and your dish soap. it will clean the crud from the lifters oil build up then change your oil. If you ever looked at the inside of a auto tranny the metal is always clean. Make sure to change you filter also...I know this is common sense but.. It works I have had to do it a coiuple times.. but no lifter noise no tearing down the engine until rebuild time.

ATF mixed with my oil? That sounds painful. You know if that causes problems in the future with furthur breakdown of parts or anything? and dont you think we should be a lil more careful with the car during that 300-400 miles due to less lubrication or would the ATF be adiquete as far as lubrication goes?

it seems like the opinion is varied on the lucas oil treatment. anyone else have any opions/experiences with it

i use synthetic oil (mobil 1) and i still get ticking. the ticking has gone down a bunch since i started using fram oil filters with the teflon in them.

oh and i had my dealership replace all of the lifters (under warranty) and they still tick. when i originally asked about getting all of the lifters done i was quoted about $900, which is outrageous. long story short, your lifters are going to tick unless you get 3g lifters.

I got the lifters replaced under warrenty and no more tick thanks for your help everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back