The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G LED HVAC Unit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
For the longest time, I’ve wanted to build a reliable, good quality lighting setup for my HVAC controls. I’ve tried many ways with various size LEDs, LED strips, and other things. I was never satisfied because I had to sacrifice the reliability or usability. I finally had an idea before my wife and I moved into our house, and finally made it happen now that I got a good place to work and test different variations. So, here is my new HVAC LED panel………………………..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

No more LED strips, or individual bulbs with wires hanging everywhere and getting tangled up, just a circuit board, some bulbs, a few resistors, and some time.....

I have since found some boards long enough for the entire unit and only have one board instead of 3 soldered together. So my next one will be on that instead of these.

I first wired the parts up in series and realized nothing worked when trying to power all 8 lights. So I rewired them in parallel and it now works fine.

The back side is a bit of a mess, but I had to make sure I got it working. My next version will be organized a lot better.

The light is still a bit too dim for my liking, and it's even being powered by a full 12 volts. So the next one will get LEDs that produce more lumens so it can be bright when needed, and still bright enough when dimmed in the car.

Last edited:
For the longest time, I’ve wanted to build a reliable, good quality lighting setup for my HVAC controls. I’ve tried many ways with various size LEDs, LED strips, and other things. I was never satisfied because I had to sacrifice the reliability or usability. I finally had an idea before my wife and I moved into our house, and finally made it happen now that I got a good place to work and test different variations. So, here is my new HVAC LED panel………………………..

No more LED strips, or individual bulbs with wires hanging everywhere and getting tangled up, just a circuit board, some bulbs, a few resistors, and some time.....

I have since found some boards long enough for the entire unit and only have one board instead of 3 soldered together. So my next one will be on that instead of these.

I first wired the parts up in series and realized nothing worked when trying to power all 8 lights. So I rewired them in parallel and it now works fine.

The back side is a bit of a mess, but I had to make sure I got it working. My next version will be organized a lot better.

The light is still a bit too dim for my liking, and it's even being powered by a full 12 volts. So the next one will get LEDs that produce more lumens so it can be bright when needed, and still bright enough when dimmed in the car.

So... When can I buy one from you? :thumb:

There are quite a few places you can get custom PCBs made cheap, and this project looks like a perfect place to do that. It would ensure the cutouts and LED positions are right every time, and distribute power/ground better for you.
Also keep in mind the DSM dimmers act as a varying ground, and the lights get full ignition voltage on one side and this other varying voltage on the other. So if you are going to try to use the stock dimmer, you will need to sort that out.
Looks like a fun project though.

If you want to get more advanced an a little easier to build you can have the boards made to be ready drop in. You would just need to put all the LEDs, resistors, and inputs on there. I will be doing this with both my Galants since I would like a little more light output.

Also keep in mind the DSM dimmers act as a varying ground, and the lights get full ignition voltage on one side and this other varying voltage on the other. So if you are going to try to use the stock dimmer, you will need to sort that out.
Looks like a fun project though.
As long as the driving current is met with the LED it should be fine. The tricky part will be when the dimmer is low and the led is still on. I imagine it will just take a little math and testing to figure out.

I pointed it out because of another risk. It is(or was) a common problem for people to try to hook a light up for a gauge to the dimmer with the other side grounded, thinking it would work like a traditional dimmer. But with the 2G dimmer that will mess up the function of the dimmer circuit, and no lights will dim, or they will not work as expected. IF he connects only to the existing dimmed bulb wires at the dash he should be fine, but if he tries to ground the circuit for any reason, it would cause issues.

So everyone is informed, I do not plan to ground this in any way other than having it be a direct plug-in to the factory harness that normally powers the one light in the oem setup. I'm also going to be building one for a friend's Evo IX, so be prepared for those pictures in the not to distant future.

Last edited:
Got the new boards in. The picture doesn't show the size proportion that well, but it is perfectly sized. This is what will be built on from now on, unless I find something better of course....

This is really neat! Great workQ I have been in the process of re-doing my rear view mirror with LEDs because for some reason there is a short. I am hoping it is in the mirror.. If I can eliminate the OEM bulb holders and rewire the LEDs into it I am hoping that the short is taken care of.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back