The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

My 1g hvac gauge install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91stocker

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 15, 2010
Vassar, Michigan
Now i know this is a little premature, as i only have the wideband installed, but it couldn't wait haha. I couldn't be happier on how it turned out.

I removed the center dash pad and cut the top half of the control panel off. This left the outer controls, like the hazards and the fan control, but opened the three center holes. (sorry no pics)

The size is nearly perfect for the standard 52mm gauge. I did have to make a small spacer ring, that i cut from a sheet of abs plastic, for it to fit perfectly.

I will update later once all three gauges are installed. But for now i cut two blanks, to fill the other two holes, from the same sheet of abs plastic. They were just sitting in place for the pics, but i have since tacked them in place with a couple small tacks of hot glue. As i did with the spacer ring.

Pic #1 Plastic spacer
Pic#2 Two plastic blanks
Pic#3 Spacer ring (tacked in place with hot glue)
Pic#4 Test fit
Pic#5 Final shot
Pic#6 Final shot

Attachments

• downsized_0827121958.jpg
    downsized_0827121958.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 607
  • downsized_0828121727.jpg
    downsized_0828121727.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 640
  • downsized_0828121725.jpg
    downsized_0828121725.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 653
  • downsized_0827122013.jpg
    downsized_0827122013.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 617
  • downsized_0827122010a.jpg
    downsized_0827122010a.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 622
  • downsized_0828121722.jpg
    downsized_0828121722.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 621
I did something along those lines a few years back. Gauges in the HVAC, kept the fan and defrost with a light. Then fiberglassed the HVAC above the radio with working lights just like the stockers. I needed Heat since my car is for winter duty. Everything worked, but have since traded the set up to put my car back to stock to sell.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nice man, the aem's look great in there. Im hoping the prosport evo's look just as good.

Ever since the first time i sat in a 1g i thought "man those are a perfect spot for gauges" haha. I ran the typical pillar pod in my last 1g, finally got the motivation to give it a go.

Its a nice spot and you don't have to take your eyes that far off the road to scan the gauges. You don't even really notice the gauge you have, which is good. I feel that people see pillar gauges and either want to run you or rob you.

Its a nice spot and you don't have to take your eyes that far off the road to scan the gauges. You don't even really notice the gauge you have, which is good. I feel that people see pillar gauges and either want to run you or rob you.

Yea exactly. Its kind of sleeper, i like it. I agree with you on the pillar gauges too. They draw too much negative attention.

It also seems to prevent some display "wash out" from being recessed into the dash pad. The gauges always seem to be partially shadowed, which is helping with daytime visibility so far. Pretty win win haha

Yea exactly. Its kind of sleeper, i like it. I agree with you on the pillar gauges too. They draw too much negative attention.

It also seems to prevent some display "wash out" from being recessed into the dash pad. The gauges always seem to be partially shadowed, which is helping with daytime visibility so far. Pretty win win haha

That always looks good. I just have too much going on to start that, but it is certainly something I have been considering for almost a year it looks so good.

The hard part is getting the hvac control just above the radio.

That always looks good. I just have too much going on to start that, but it is certainly something I have been considering for almost a year it looks so good.

The hard part is getting the hvac control just above the radio.

I hear you, i wanted to do the same on my last 1g car. I just never had the motivation LOL.

Its a bit easier for me this time around. Im not running any of the hvac system. Heat and a/c are gone. The controls, cores, everything. The car is obviously not a dd, but i still want it to look clean and stock/original.

Im actually using the hvac controls to power the gauges. But i have to admit that the whole process was much easier then i expected. Maybe i should edit the op and add the tools that were needed :hmm:

But im still open to opinions and suggestions. Please and thank you :D

Last edited:
I did that, but I'm going back to stock on that setup and putting my gauges in the center vent.

Here are some poor quality night shots

They don't really do it justice. Night visibility is perfect, 10/10

When i get the time im going to put the boost and fuel pressure in the two blanks. But so far im digging this set up much more then the a-pillar pod.

Last edited by a moderator:
they just fit so nice

boost oil pressue water temp.

wideband will be logged thru link. in vent area will eventually add voltage, oil temp, egt.

boost oil pressue water temp.

wideband will be logged thru link. in vent area will eventually add voltage, oil temp, egt.

Nice, im not running a boost gauge right now because i log it real time anyway. But it is difficult to watch when doing a pull so im putting one in next to the wb.

I thought about putting the other gauges into the gauge cluster like this

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/326100-gauge-cluster-project.html

Kind of a custom oem look for the oil pressure, water temp, etc. Always liked that set up as well.

They work awesome, but the only place I usually look is at my WB and thats higher closer to sight line.
I miss having the controls there, the only things I need to really see are boost (leaks and such) and WB (lean). I have a oil psi & water temp. that has an alarm built in and everything else is ok to look at after so it can be out of sight somewhat.

I loved it at first and everyone loves it, but changing the car makes you miss the stock stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back