1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Street Build KG 807/1000

Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. buddahboost

buddahboost Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2007
    CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Illinois

Street Build 147  1

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · automatic · Galant VR-4
  2. buddahboost

Joined Aug 15, 2007
    I think a little after 2 years I finally had space/time to pull in my KG GVR-4.

Well it's a shell and my plan is to do a Auto swap. A local is going auto to 5 speed so we are swapping rear ends. My 5 speed 4 bolt for his auto 3 bolt.

So my 1st priority was to drop the pumpkin. Just to kinda make it easier and get it out the way. After that, I started to drop the rear shocks, unbolt the parking brake and disconnect the brake line.... you know what's next? So I said fugit and dropped the rear subframe.

Next, I degreased the part of the rear with the subframe out the way and also gave the subframe a degreaser shower. . Used a brush and scotch pad to knock off dirt and grime. I'm not going over it with a fine comb, so I did the best I could in short time. Grabbed my water hose and showered the grime away. Wish I would of washed the whole car but I was already tired and was about to be 4 am.

Before the night ended, I removed my head lights and corner light. I say corner light because I already donated one to my son's black VR-4

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020

Street Build 147  1

TK's9d2TSi likes this.
  3. buddahboost

Joined Aug 15, 2007
    Next session Monday June 6, So it's a day later and stuff was dry and guess what... undercoating time .. I cannot go this far and not do anything.

So I ordered what I thought was Rubberized undercoating from Menards. Turns out its a "Rust converter " so I went to Autozone and bought some Rustoleum undercoating with sound deadening! It's going to be a daily and yeah it "adds weight".

You can tell up to where I stopped, I used a total of 4 undercoating cans on just the rear end. I sure did put to use the Rust converter on the subframe. Looks wayyy better! Used 2 cans and I'll be doing another black paint and clear on the subframe. Hopefully the rust doesn't bleed thru!

Bought what I think a decent electric corded power washer from Menards. I was going to pressure wash the subframe, but it was late and I'm trying to get this project moving. Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

Street Build 147  1

TK's9d2TSi likes this.
  4. buddahboost

Joined Aug 15, 2007
    Today I had a chance to power wash my auto rear end. Primed and painted some stuff with my painters. They are for hire by the way.

20200708_232541.jpg

I was going to give the rear underbody one last coat but I was out of the Pro grade and I came across some cans I had. Noticed the can was different and sure enough it was the stuff I had previously on the other galant. This stuff is more brown and too sticky for my liking. Below is the pic. You can the difference ..left brown spot vs all black Pro grade.

20200709_004128.jpg 20200708_225629.jpg

So tomorrow I'll return and pick up a different undercoating. I wanted to finish a clear coat can so I did the subframe. It turned out pretty dull so I'm going to redo that next time with the Rust Reformer can. It leaves it shiny and it's what I used for the rear end.

Not much else got done today.. I wi also be ordering BoostX's subframe bushings. Already got the moustache set.

Attached Files:

Street Build 147  1

Hickory-NC-2Ggsx likes this.