The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Just Rebuilt 1G AWD Trans, Break-in procedure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipseOwner95

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2002
Jacksonville, Florida
Just got done rebuilding my 1g AWD trans for the first time using the Jacks Transmissions "Economy" build with double synchro 2nd.

I'm assuming at the very least I should take it easy for a few hundred miles, but interested in some tranny wisemen's input, Zimmer, Jacks, or anyone else that might have some good insight.

Make sure your clutch is properly functioning and disengaging as well as gently shifting into gears and not launching with wheelhop. Check the fluid color/condition after 500-1000 miles and change it out for a synthetic gear oil.

Im getting ready to do this myself- basic build, double synchro 2nd, with a 4spider from TRE. I used to run Pennzoil synchromesh, but would like to use something better for my "new" transmission. Twicks, as a guy who builds transmissions for these cars, what oil do you recommend for the first 500- 1000 miles, and what synthetic to use afterward? Ive heard the blue stuff from Redline is nice, but would like to hear what you reccomend.:thumb:

Break in with Coastal 80w90 gear oil (it is a GL4 even though the label has changed from GL4/5 to GL5) for 500-1000 miles; more if you can, then switch out for a quality gear oil like:

Neo Synthetics 75w90HD (power levels less than ~400whp); or 75w140HD (power levels above ~400whp)
Redline Synthetic MT-90 (power levels less than ~400whp), or 75w140 (Quaife or open front diff) or 75w140NS (clutch type front diff) for power levels above 400whp; lightweight shockproof works well, but it gums up oiling passageways and causes shift key clogging and shifting issues over time; use it only on transmissions that are torn down regularly, and are being used for drag racing only.

Thank you for the input, stupid question, but what would some of the side effects be of not doing a proper break in ? I put about 200 miles on it and did a few pulls, it shifted great the first few, did one more and it grinded a little going into 3rd. My 3rd gear was pretty beat up but we used it anyways because I planned on doing an Evo 3 3/4 in the near future.

Do you think that small ammount of grinding that occured would jepordize the life of the transmission ? Or just " dont do that anymore " and it should be ok ?

I know its probably impossible to tell on a case by case basis, but I'm looking for a " your an idiot, and you probably just trashed it for good " or " your an idiot, now don't do that again "

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back