The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Just a beginner

oliversaturnino

Probationary Member
Sep 12, 2021
Denver, Colorado
Hey, just starting to get into this DSM world. One of my friends got a 99 GSX and I have loved it ever since. Now I want to get one of my own. I’ve been doing tons or research about them and would love to get A GSX eventually but have been having a hard time finding a good one. Or even one in general. I want to learn more about the cars and I was wondering if there is any tips that anyone would like to give me for just starting?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

oliversaturnino

Probationary Member
Sep 12, 2021
Denver, Colorado
That’s the car that my friend recently bought. Was fully built by the original owner and recommended if we were to get into DSM cars we should use this website for everything we needed to know. Car was sitting for 7 years after water pump went out, my friend got the car for $2000 with 70k miles on it. Just needs a good paint job and new water pump. And Thanks!

TheDude236

Proven Member
Mar 15, 2021
Kingston Springs, Tennessee
I was a newbie when I bought my car as well, and unfortunately I didn't ask for the same info that you have. Ended up winning a bid on 95' Talon AWD, sight unseen with little information about the cars condition at ~200k miles, for 5900$. To be fair, it is a kinda rare trimmed car. The rare Pulsar Beige interior and no sunroof, and the first year of the 2g's.
I got my hands on the car finally and so far have spent around another 5-6k on issues. Anything from the clutch, to the transmission, to an engine rebuild.

Moral of the story is, do your research and actually visit a car you want to buy. Don't do what I did.
(Make no mistake, I still love my car and I'm super happy with my purchase, I could have just done a lot more with my money:banghead: )

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
Don't just change the water pump, change all of the timing components and most importantly ---THE TIMING BELT AND BALANCE SHAFT BELT (if it still has a balance shaft belt still).
The worst thing your friend could do is get the pump fixed and then start it just to have the timing belt break and BAM, you are into a bunch of $$$ for all of the bent valves. I deem that the most important thing on any new to you DSM, change the timing belt/balance shaft belt.
Best of luck and keep your eyes on our classifieds, the cars do come up there!
Marty

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
Don't just change the water pump, change all of the timing components and most importantly ---THE TIMING BELT AND BALANCE SHAFT BELT (if it still has a balance shaft belt still).
The worst thing your friend could do is get the pump fixed and then start it just to have the timing belt break and BAM, you are into a bunch of $$$ for all of the bent valves. I deem that the most important thing on any new to you DSM, change the timing belt/balance shaft belt.
Marty
No lie. My 97 was purchased in 2011...with the ORIGINAL belt still installed. Only had 52k was the owners answer. I was afraid to drive it home off the transporter. I parked it after 2 miles and didn't drive it until I changed the belt.

oliversaturnino

Probationary Member
Sep 12, 2021
Denver, Colorado
I was a newbie when I bought my car as well, and unfortunately I didn't ask for the same info that you have. Ended up winning a bid on 95' Talon AWD, sight unseen with little information about the cars condition at ~200k miles, for 5900$. To be fair, it is a kinda rare trimmed car. The rare Pulsar Beige interior and no sunroof, and the first year of the 2g's.
I got my hands on the car finally and so far have spent around another 5-6k on issues. Anything from the clutch, to the transmission, to an engine rebuild.

Moral of the story is, do your research and actually visit a car you want to buy. Don't do what I did.
(Make no mistake, I still love my car and I'm super happy with my purchase, I could have just done a lot more with my money:banghead: )
Thank you for the advice. At first I just wanted to rush and get a car like any normal person does. I was going to look at cars with cash in hand almost every day but I finally realized I should just wait for the right deal. So now I’ve just been taking my time looking for the right one. I have no rush. I already have a car to drive that’s reliable (not a DSM car) so I really am just waiting for the right deal and have the cash ready.

oliversaturnino

Probationary Member
Sep 12, 2021
Denver, Colorado
No lie. My 97 was purchased in 2011...with the ORIGINAL belt still installed. Only had 52k was the owners answer. I was afraid to drive it home off the transporter. I parked it after 2 miles and didn't drive it until I changed the belt.
Marty
Yeah he right now is doing the whole timing assembly. I did some more researching about it and that is one of the most common things i saw.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com Raven Fabrication RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds