The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Jig Building

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengoblin

Supporting Vendor
Mar 10, 2006
McKinney, Texas
This may need editing but I have to pick up my kids from school so ignore anything that not spelled right or just not written well.

So I just built my first Jig and I'd thought I'd share it and see what other have done. I wish I had more pics of the process but these will have to do.

The first thing I did was mock up a fender braces off my 2g.

Using the brace I found the area I need to weld on my mounting plates for both the door hinge brackets and the fender bracket. I then welded the plates on both sides of the main Jig plate since the braces are mirrors of each other.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sorry no pics of this step. :(
The next thing I need to do was Drill the holes that the mounting bolts go through. This was a bit tricky because if you look close at the pictures the point of the brace( smallest mount point that would be on the fender) is actually at an angle. What I did was drill the holes through the plate BEFORE I welded them down. I drill two over sized holes through the main plate in the area the bolts would pass through to give me plenty of room for final alignment the mounting plates. Once they where where I wanted them I welded them in place.

I then used a transfer punch to find the center of the holes for the door hinge mounting brackets. Then to the drill press and drilled the holes.

For the fence rails( that what I want to call them) I drilled index holes. This was done by cutting the fences to the required length then clamping them back to back and drill three holes per flange. A also labeled each set of rails to make finding the right sets easy. Once that was done the brace was bolted down to th main plate and the fences where clamped and welded it no place on one side. I then used the indexing holes to act as a drill fixture and drill through the main plate. now there are instant alignment holes for the fences on the other side for my cleco clamps.

Just to make sure that the fences where indeed in the right place I bolted up the mounting brackets and laid the tubes in place. Every thing fit perfect.

To keep the tubes at the right height I built spacers out of round stock. I just machined down one or both sides until they where the right height . Since bot sides need to be the same I used a long bit of round stock then cut it in half.

I these final pictures you can see the height spacers and also a braces that I notch and laid into place. before I weld them up I place clamps on each set of fence rails to hold the brace in position. I have made three set in the jig and they come out perfect every time so I'm very happy. Post of pics of your Jig and if you have time or want to how you built it of tricks you use.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work, Kevin! Thanks for sharing this. I've always wondered the thought process people put into jig making.

I'll expect to see a bill for my sets in a week or two :D LOL

I gave my drawing for the weld on outer mounting plate to my friend Carl who has access to a plasma table. So I should have them in my hands in about a week. I'm going to pick up more tubing Monday and get you and your brothers set made.

Kevin

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back