The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G ISC Motor wiring (really about 2G IPS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vexixx

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2004
West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
Recently my car decided to quit idiling.

If the throttle goes to 0% it just stalls, driving or not sitting still. After a lot of troubleshooting I replaced the TPS (which fixed my idle surge) and figured out the motor on the TB for the ISC wire has gone missing on my car. WTF?

Anyway! I was looking at my friends 1g and saw that the wire was green and came from the same harness as the ISC sensor wiring itself. I got a wiring diagram and from what it looks like that same green wire runs straight back to the ECU.

Since mine mysteriously disappeared? Is it possible just to resplice this wire somewhere and connect it back up? Anyone have any experience with this wiring? Car has a 6bolt.

Any input would be awesome, really want to get the car idling again! So annoying having to keep my foot on the gas and trying to break to go to work! Thanks.

Edit:
The car drives fine and normal, Just stalls when throttle is at 0. No boost leaks, haven't tested the sensor ohms or the motor (Need to find the 6v battery and my multimeter, hopefully tomorrow I can get those)

My main issue is getting the wire back to the ISC motor right now. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a 1G the green wire that is part of the ISC harness is for the IPS on the back of the throttle body. On a 2G the IPS is part of the TPS and I expect the wire is in that harness instead.

The VFAQ site has a page on checking the ISC.

Steve

Well working in the dark has a lot to contribute to not being able to figure things out. I got a chance to get my car into a garage and really look at it.

What it is that is missing the wire is the Idle control switch, just lets the TPS know when the throttle is closed. However I'm still at a loss of where the wiring that connects to it goes.

Does anyone know what wire i can splice or can tap that I can connect back up with this switch? I have the BISS screw completely backed out and it just idles at 2k pretty much. It will stall sometimes, but idles a lot better than it did that's for sure, I just need to help it sometimes.

Any advice would rock, I'm really confused on how I can connect this back up.

http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/1G/throttlebody.htm
(red dot)

I was at vfaq.com before, I didn't find anything on the ISC that i could use or needed.

However I'm glad you said that because I kinda cross referenced and wasn't so narrow minded searching this time, found the pin output for the ECU, now I know exactly what I need, Thanks. (Pin 87, awesome) :thumb:

The point I was trying to make is on a 2G the IPS wire is part of the TPS harness because on a 2G the IPS is inside the TPS.

It's not on the back of the throttle body like it is on a 1G. So the green wire you looking for is in the TPS harness except that it's yellow w/red stripe on a 2G

Adjusting where the IPS opens and closes is how you adjust a 2G TPS.

Steve

Don't mean to bring this back from the boons, but I learned a lot about Throttle position sensors ( TPS ) cause of this and want to give the solution to my problem for searches later!

I read a lot of Steves posts about them and I realized that what it was, was that my orginal TPS was bad, yes. I had replaced it with a 1G one and that's why the idle surge was fixed but the idle wasn't.

The idle is controlled though the TPS on 2Gs. 1g TPS are 3 prong ( if you look at where the harness connects) and 2g TPS is 4 prong. So I got a 4 prong TPS and bam, it idles fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back