The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Is this a bad TCU ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethenp23

Proven Member
Jun 24, 2021
Midland tx, Texas
Wondering if my 1995 eagle talon esi automatic transmission has a bad tcu I am dealing with limp mode and replaced a lot but the tcu can anyone give me tips on what to look at? To be honest it already looks like this could be my problem…

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What makes you think it looks bad? That little bubbly area in the gel? Wipe some of that dust off the area and see if it looks like something is burned underneath.
Nah LOL isn’t my first time replacing a ecu/tcu I know what the gel is for

I don’t think it looks bad bc of how to looks I think it’s bad bc limp mode as stated when I introduced my problem

It’s to dark to see threw been cleaning it for 3 hours

Last edited by a moderator:
3 hours? LOL

I meant just wipe the dust off. All you need to look for is dark spots where something got too hot. It's not completely transparent.
No man you don’t understand when I say it’s black I mean it’s black all I see is a smalllllll bit of tint red under the black nothing else

I know when my trans was In limp mode it was the big solenoid block on the front of the transmission.
I was planning on replacing the eatx relay and the tcu if not then my next culprit was gonna be the speed sensors or the solenoid being my last

This is usually what it is.
I still think it might be the tcu each time I take it out and inspect it then put it back in to drive it, it acts different every time it’s plugged in.

Have you checked to see if there's any loose pins on the connector for the tcu?
Yes they look in great condition as for the shift solenoid is there any diagram or maybe any information on how to replace it ? Will there be a loss of a lot of trans fluid? Ect

Your profile says you have a 95 remember there's a thick plate under the solenoid pack that you have to take out. The ones you buy are upgraded so they don't use that same design that uses the plate.
Do you have a picture of ones I have to buy so I have a idea ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back