1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Is HKS VPC worth it today?

Posted by damnslowtsi, Nov 16, 2012

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. damnslowtsi

damnslowtsi Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2004
    los angeles, California
    Hey everybody! Yes, I know it is a piece from "back in the day" so to speak:) The main reason I contemplate getting it is to get rid of the maf sensor on my DD td05h-20g car. I have an AFC and a 2G maf and could tune with that but know its limitations. Would I be better off with a blowthrough translator instead of VPC? I heard the translator is kinda rough to tune with, at least the earlier versions of it. My experience is only with super AFC and the link that I have on my other car. I like it but can't really justify spending that money the second time for a mild setup. Would the VPC get me to about the same position like an AFC where it would feed too much timing with reduced AF signal with bigger injectors? Is it relatively easy to tune with or more of a pain in the neck? Thanks in advance!

2. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois
    No. I can't think of a good reason to run a VPC today except as a museum piece.
    Any of the solutions that lie to the ECU about airflow have the same problem with timing, airflow is part of the engine load variable used to index the timing map.

Either get a second DSMLink or choose one of the other Speed Density options available for stock ECUs.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

3K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. goodbuds

goodbuds Proven Member

Joined Nov 10, 2009
    oceanside, California
    .. still a good piece. contact Doc. Brown, to switch you over to plutonium and you'll be trapping 88mph in no time.:thumb:

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM

529  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  4. Steve93Talon

Steve93Talon Proven Member

Joined Jan 20, 2005
    Philly Burbs, Pennsylvania
    Try to find a good deal on a used V2 or V3 lite setup. If you don't have an EPROM ECU, you can have yours converted with a daughtercard cheaper than an EPROM ECU usually goes for.

Drag Race Build 888  24

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    369.5 whp · 403.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM

2K  7

1993 Eagle Talon TSi
    11.784 @ 115.120 · 1G DSM
  5. agentorange313

agentorange313 Supporting VIP

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Westfield, New Jersey
    "It belongs in a museum!"

2K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4

1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.455 @ 104.000 · 1G DSM
  6. Colt4G63 also

Colt4G63 also Proven Member

Joined Jul 23, 2008
    Tonawanda, New York
    You want museum pieces? I'll give you a good deal on this.
    SU1BRzAwNDguanBn.jpg
    Featured in July 1992 Car Craft.

Street Build 2K  0

1990 Dodge Colt
    manual · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 1K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  7. Kapok6

Kapok6 Proven Member

Joined Aug 10, 2004
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Jackal/Werewolf is another option if you want to eliminate MAF.

Kapok6

Street Build 2K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.3 @ 130.75 · 1G DSM
  8. damnslowtsi

damnslowtsi Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2004
    los angeles, California
    Ok, I got the point! Now if you can chew it a bit more for me on the specifics of the alternatives. Steve mentioned V2/V3, what are those? I do have an eprom. As a matter of fact I have a few laying around for all years DSMs but they aren't socketed yet. What are Jackal/Werewolf? May be links to the specified products where I can read about them? As far as VPC, would it be an OK idea to use one in conjunction with a custom chip or the other products are still more versatile? That is if smb even makes one to work with the museum piece.. Cost effectiveness is still the key here. I can get the VPC for a bill and a half or even grind him a bit lower.

9. AK Maniak

AK Maniak Proven Member

Joined Jul 9, 2009
    Butte, Montana
    V2 and V3 are just various versions of of the software. V2: version 2 DSMlink. V3: ECMlink. The current and newest version.

AK Maniak

527  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  10. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    I'd run the vpc before I'd do that.

I'd wager that the vpc could be run very successfully if you had a ostrich and could tune things.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  11. ceedawg

ceedawg Supporting Member

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    laurelton, New York
    Wow! Great memories!!!!!:thumb:

I agree and Dave Buscher and Jeff Hill used it for many many years successfully. Dave for the most part did and until he got the EVO thing going is when he seriously seriously decided to go standalone mostly to this day. I know Jeff eventually went standalone on his eclipse. I was always impressed with the HKS VPC. This unit was used very successfully in many DSM's and Supras before the more modern toys came out.:thumb: It was a nice way to get rid of the MAF and use speed density. Alot of fast cars used it back in the day! I'm sure there are guys here that can make upgraded injector chips for it if you ask.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    ceedawg

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  12. MY1GDSM

MY1GDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 26, 2007
    On the beach, Washington
    I never was on any forums for quite a few years when I got into Dsm's
    But, I always love it when people post up stuff like this threads LOL definitly brings you back a bit... .

First thing that comes to mind is one of these HKS FCD
    :p

Want a real smile do some searches on here for Vpc/gcc and look at the posts for some of the Wiseman, etc. from WAY back. :D

That said there a too many ways to do things these days to run one really with other Ecu's and Eprom ecu's... .

But, as far as piggy backs are concerned I'd run one of these before a the first Maf-t (though the Gen II is a nice as far as piggy backs go)

It's funny though think People forget these cost as much as a full standalones do today when they came out ;)

890  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  13. Galant665

Galant665 Proven Member

Joined Oct 1, 2004
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I still use VPCs on two of my DSMs. Sure it would be easy to go DSMlink or AEM. But the simplicity and ability to still make power with a VPC/GCC and or AFC is hard to argue with. A decent Eprom chip with the tables setup for your injectors and combo. Really hard to beat. I have five VPCs I have collected over the years. Even some old AFCs with the knobs and an Apexi ITC.

487  0

1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  14. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    man, if they would have made an ITCII and put it in the same box as a AFC, they woulda been on to somthing.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  15. turboglenn

turboglenn Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2007
    RIpley, West Virginia
    +400000000000000000000000000

I remember staring at the VPC waiting to get the money together when i got the eclipse. Then thinking back on the accell DFI inmy previouse mustang i said "ah hell, i'll never give a sh*t about vehicle emmisions in this thing, let's just gut the pig"