The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

intercooler clamps

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punishment racing sells stainless steel clamps.
Stainless Steel T-Bolt Hose Clamp - Punishment Racing

But in my experience, a clamp is a clamp when it comes to T-Bolts. I've even had success with "crappy" Ebay clamps. Is it possible the clamp just got loose over time and popped off? Is the pipe that blew the coupler beaded at the end? I wouldn't go replacing them unless they continually cause a problem, not just one hiccup. But if you want good quality replacements, I'd go with punishment.

Summit Racing sells real nice Clampco ones for decent prices. I think that certain NAPA Auto Parts stores carry them too.

When I bought this car, the charge piping was held together with assorted clamps. Meaning different sized nuts, some worm drive clamps some t bolt clamps etc. It really drove me nuts especially the different sized nuts. I'm picky about the small things so I set out to find me a high quality matching set of t clamps

I'm not ashamed to say it (so far LOL) they are eBay clamps. I've unbolted the clamps many a times and havent given me any trouble. They haven't "worn out" from being undone so many times and I feel like they would crush the pipe before the clamp breaks so they are strong. And the best part? They have matching 10mm nuts! Most fasteners on these cars are 10mm so thats a real conveinence to only need a 10mm to take apart most of the simple things. The spot welds are "spot on" :p

Anyway the seller is "speed_daddy" they have sold probably a record amount of stuff on eBay with 99% feedback. I've also bought AN fittings from them that seal fine. Its cheaper to buy bigger quantities too
speed daddy | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
just buy whatever size you need from ebay. Thats all ive ever bought mine from and never had a problem. Just make sure that you tighten it down all the way and make sure that you dont have any space between the coupler and the clamp and you should have no problem

Ya and from napa your looking at about $6 for one stinkin clamp. Lame

Hmm, they're a lot cheaper than any where else at my Napa but I can't recall the pricing right now, I want to say sub-$2. Maybe the prices vary by location and your Napa's prices are worse? For me they're the only place to go but last time I checked their size selection was limited to 2.5" connectors and higher.

Punishment racing sells stainless steel clamps.
Stainless Steel T-Bolt Hose Clamp - Punishment Racing
if you want good quality replacements, I'd go with punishment.

Totally the opposite of what I would have said. I had 3 of the t-bolt clamps PR sends with their kit snap on me. The bolt broke in half. When I called PR about it, they told me they were sending me new ones, that never came in the mail. I ended up going with Clampco clamps, and I'll never use anything that's not brand name again. You can tell me that ebay and chinese clamps, like exhausts, "aren't moving parts" and "should be fine". You'll be thinking differently when you have 3 in a row break on you the exact same way, then a clampco tightens and holds just fine.

Well that sucks they broke, especially 3 in a row. I don't think name brand is a big deal though, it really is a simple device to rig up and my generic clamps are really well made.

It's a strip of sheet metal, a bolt, and a nut. Dysfunctional clamps are really not that common...

If I had the equipment I would make them myself.

It's a strip of sheet metal, a bolt, and a nut. Dysfunctional clamps are really not that common...

If I had the equipment I would make them myself.
If you made it yourself, It would probably be better...because you would more than likely use a USA bolt, and USA steel, and give a damn about what you made.

A chinese turbine housing doesn't even have moving parts....yet they still suck, crack more than oem housings, are improperly made, and have a disconcerting habit not fitting out of the factory.
When you are left holding one of your generic clamps that has a bolt snapped in half, in the exact same spot, for the third time in a row, then watch a REAL clamp do what the generic ones couldn't, you start to wonder if maaaaybe those generic chinese bolts are cast out of tin cans.... But hey, if you want your car to be down for DAYS because you cheaped out on a $2 part, mo DSM POWAH to ya. Reminds me of the $7 air filter thread that was just on here.

Clampco. Do it right. How much money are you saving by using crappy clamps? barely enough to pay for your gas the first time you have to run to the autoparts store to replace it. Come on now, I wipe my butt with the difference between a clampco and a cheap clamp ($1. Totally worth the possibility of being stuck on the side of the road with a huge boost leak, right?)
this "only the cheapest parts for MY car" attitude bugs me...especially when you are saving all of $5 for something that makes such a big difference if/when it fails

http://compare.ebay.com/like/230682816291?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Hmm...turbine housing? :confused:

You don't torque a clamp to any spec. The metal band is a universal size. No heat. No pressure. No special made materials or processes. What's there to condend with now?

Any half ass engineer would go "Okay what's the variable here? What could go wrong?" Answer, bolt strength and spot welds. I just don't see every generic manufacturer making the mistake of a weak bolt. At the same time though, I don't doubt it has happened :)

But hey, if you want your car to be down for DAYS because you cheaped out on a $2 part, mo DSM POWAH to ya.

OK. When I get lots of money I'll get some name brand valve cores too.

OK. When I get lots of money I'll get some name brand valve cores too.

If the difference between cheap, and good clamps is "lots of money" to you, or anyone else, they have no place trying to build, operate, or maintain a performance automobile. period.
If you can't understand why I think the chinese "knowledge" and "skill", not to mention their "quality control" of metallurgy, as demonstrated by their less than stellar results with turbine housings, is lacking, and how that could apply negatively to a much cheaper clamp with even less quality control, and more load bearing requirement...2+2=4, write that down somewhere.

You are not helping dsm'rs get away from the reputation that we are all retarded cheapskates who can't afford decent part. Its a freakin $4 clamp, the difference between a full set of clampco's and a set of crappy chinese ones is LITERALLY a sandwich. If you can't afford a sandwich, you don't need a dsm. You need a job. This would only be a debate in the dsm community.

The point is, do you pay attention to things like valve cores? They would leave you stranded but people throw in any core that isn't damaged.

The price difference is more like $20 in the complete system. Remember the little things can add up too. Do you replace every nut/bolt since it's technically recommended?

If my local Napa actually sold anything and at a decent price I would go USA. But unfortunately they don't. I have a hard time paying for something I know took them close to nothing to make. If the price was right I would go USA for sure. But when the price is asinine I don't buy into the excuse "Buy from us, we are American"

The point is, do you pay attention to things like valve cores? They would leave you stranded but people throw in any core that isn't damaged.

The price difference is more like $20 in the complete system. Remember the little things can add up too. Do you replace every nut/bolt since it's technically recommended?

If my local Napa actually sold anything and at a decent price I would go USA. But unfortunately they don't. I have a hard time paying for something I know took them close to nothing to make. If the price was right I would go USA for sure. But when the price is asinine I don't buy into the excuse "Buy from us, we are American"

"people throw in any core that isn't damaged"

Thats pretty broad. Here, let me fix that.

"people who would rather buy a $2 generic clamp than a $3 clampco clamp because of the huge cost savings would most likely throw in any core that isn't damaged"

"Do I replace every nut/bolt since its technically recommended?" No , I don't. But when I do need to replace a nut/bolt, you can bet I don't get the absolute cheapest one I can find. If every bolt holds the same, as you imply, and paying more is just for suckers, You'd better get that lawsuit going against ARP for their misadvertising of their head studs, rod bolts, etc...basically their whole company is based on lies? Don't think so.

"Assanine prices"....really? $3.50 vs $2 is assanine? Assanine is seeing those prices and leaving your brain in your empty wallet, swooping on the cheapest parts for the ONLY reason that they are cheaper. Is that your build theme?

"$20 in the entire system" Did you even read that before you posted? If you are so financially strapped that its a huge deal for you to get good clamps, sell your dsm. Seriously, dude, sell your car..before it eats you alive financially, and before you mess it up with cheap parts and neglect to the point that its not worth saving, LOL, cause you can't even afford a decent oil change if $20 on good parts kills you....Guess I'm just daddy warbucks over here, putting $8 quarts of good oil in my car instead of the cheapest wal-mart sludge I can find, spending $3.50 on clamps instead of $2...but that's only one aspect of the lost art of DOING THINGS RIGHT.

Okay now you're just taking shots ASSuming I'm cheap

I have acknowledged you're point which is fine, I can agree

Again, with the impossible compromises. What conditions are oil and a tubine housing in, that a clamp is even close to?

Did you even read that before you posted?
Did you?

Well hell let's just replace all those darned bolts, they're only $2 a piece! Do the math and you come up with alot more than just $2. Add that to any other "oh it's a cheap part" and that leads me to this...

"There's no denying we all make compromises and educate ourselves on what is worth and not worth replacing and with what"

My point has been this. It's a strip of sheet metal, a bolt, a nut in the simplest of conditions. They get cranked tight and get loosened up via a tool. But hey, there's nothing wrong with extra money in reassurance. But if I wanted to spend money on magical clamps I would go with spring loaded clamps. Why don't you buy those?

Apples to oranges
Fact: All clamps are not equal in quality, or ability to hold load. Argue if you want. You'd be wrong.
Fact: the cheaper the price, generally, the less the quality. This is especially true when comparing Chinese products to their higher quality counterparts manufactured here and in Europe. There is no indication that chinese clamps buck that trend
Fact: Clampco clamps are within $1 pricing of cheap clamps if you do 2 minutes of searching
Fact: there are roughly 15 clamps in a short route kit
Fact: In my experience, cheap clamps break 3x as much as clampco or equivalent. Other people have told me the same.
Fact: cheap clamps are not worth the trouble to me. I really don't see how they are worth the trouble to anybody, besides people marketing chinese intercooler kits that need a dirt cheap clamp thats already in-country to throw in the box. Its not like they are too concerned with the quality and longevity of their components.

Your argument about replacing bolts is laughable. Show me one piece of literature that recommends replacing every bolt after you touch it. You don't need to, because they are of high quality steel....kind of like clampco clamps maybe?...and perhaps coincidentally, are NOT made in china. Aside from that, some people actually DO replace bolts as needed, and pay a lot of money for them, knowing about the quality...ARP come to mind anyone?

Boeing won't take parts from china unless they are manufactured in plants that Boeing has direct and hands-on control of their quality control processes. That must be because China is known for their uniformly high quality parts, right?

This is like arguing with a brick wall using a rubber ball as my argument though. I can see I'm not making an impression. If you can't figure this out, Good luck to ya.

Hmm...You can save a buck or two the next time you do some maintanance with this mod

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/439534-homemade-7-turbo-filter.html

That mod alone will keep you in the McD's for at least a couple weeks. AND it gets the girlies wet once you explain why you have window screen on your turbo, WHILE obscuring all the blade damage your turbo is getting, for your peace of mind!!! Look at how cheap that hose clamp is, you don't even have to spring for a chinese tbolt clamp!!

I'm done wasting braincells on trying to point out the obvious.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back