The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Installed ACT clutch and flywheel, have questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grotty101

Probationary Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pardeeville, Wisconsin
Hey guys, I have spend a good portion of my day searching, and haven't really found the answers I'm looking for. I'm probably just overreacting, but I just did a clutch install and I may be having some problems, or maybe not.

I have a 99 GST, and I just installed the following:

OEM- T.O. bearing and clip, pivot ball, master and slave, along with:

SS clutch line, Comp. clutch fork, ACT 2100 PP, ACT HD (sprung) street disk, and ACT streetlight flywheel.

I was excited to get everything in, until I went to take it for a test drive. As I went to back out of the garage, my engine felt like it was shaking violently as I was disengaging the clutch, and I also heard some weird clunking sound, or hard to explain noise that sounded more like a *tink*. My engine and whole car shakes violently while disengaging the clutch till I get going. Once I'm moving the car drives great! I did a forum search, and found to replace my front and rear motor/trans mounts. I did this and it is slightly better, but I have a few questions left.

If I engage the clutch in first to get going I can get off to a nice smooth start, if I'm revved to about 2000-2500 rpm. Is this normal for a lighter weight flywheel? I feel like I'm going to burn up the clutch before I even break it in. When I got the car the old clutch was already toast and I could get the car going smoothly with 1500rpm with the stock flywheel.

Will doing the side mounts help with my problem? I'm thinking of ordering the prothane kit, would this be a better choice? I already know the cons of running poly mounts, via searching the forums.

I was trying to figure out what the popping noise was and the only thing I could make sound like the same noise was under my car my exhaust heat shield was loose. If i pulled on it and let go quick it made a similar sound. I took it off, but still hear the noise. With the engine movement I'm getting I thought maybe the heat shield was bouncing around. Any other ideas what the noise is? It sounds like if you took a thin bolt and tapped in on an exhaust heat shield or something.

And lastly, Should I give the clutch a little more time to break in, instead of panicking about all of this? I only have about 125 miles since install, and 1/4 of them are highway.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

Did you clean the disc and flywheel surface really good with brake cleaner before you reassembled it?

Sounds like you may have some left over oils on the flywheel surface.

As for the sounds, if the engine/drive train is bouncing around it could just be the exhaust or something. Make a video of the sound.

Yes, I did clean everything well with brake cleaner before install. Based on everything I have read, I was thinking the same thing though, that the parts could be greasy/dirty.

Would driving it to let's say 500 miles, to see if it gets any better be a bad idea? Or would it be better to go in there now, and try cleaning everything very well again just in case?

I'll try recording the sound tomorrow before I head to work, and hope I have luck capturing it. I can't really duplicate it, it just sort of does it when it wants. Very frustrating.

Violent shaking and noise is in no way close to normal for this (or any clutch really). You need to pull the trans and go over everything. Something is really wrong in there.

Ok guys, I managed to get this weekend off and I will be removing the clutch and looking everything over again. I'll be cleaning everything really good again with brake cleaner, checking for any abnormal wear, and double checking to make sure the PP and flywheel bolts are torqued to the right specs. Is there anything else I can and should look for while I'm in there?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back