The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Idle Speed Controller

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinturbo120

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 14, 2010
Miami, Florida
Well I've searched and google searched but my question is still unanswered. My car's idle is pretty bad. When I turn on the A/C it goes to like 700 RPMs and back to 1000. Even with the A/C off it still idles pretty bad. I know this is the ISC but I also have white/grey smoke. This smoke only appears after the car has warmed up a bit. I'd say ~5mins or less.

When I go WOT my friend said there was no smoke. But when I idle there is smoke. Can this be caused by the ISC as well? Or can this be a bad turbo seal,valve cover,valve stem seal,headgasket? :banghead: I have yet to do a compression and leak down test. The guy that I bought it from calms that it's the ISC. What do you guys think?

Well I've searched and google searched but my question is still unanswered. My car's idle is pretty bad. When I turn on the A/C it goes to like 700 RPMs and back to 1000. Even with the A/C off it still idles pretty bad. I know this is the ISC but I also have white/grey smoke. This smoke only appears after the car has warmed up a bit. I'd say ~5mins or less.

When I go WOT my friend said there was no smoke. But when I idle there is smoke. Can this be caused by the ISC as well? Or can this be a bad turbo seal,valve cover,valve stem seal,headgasket? :banghead: I have yet to do a compression and leak down test. The guy that I bought it from calms that it's the ISC. What do you guys think?

Could be a number of things. Can you elaborate on idle is bad? Like is it inconsistent like jumping up and down, or idling high or low?

Could be a number of things. Can you elaborate on idle is bad? Like is it inconsistent like jumping up and down, or idling high or low?

Yeah It's inconsistent, like it goes from 800 to 1000 then back down. Sometimes it goes as low as 600 back to 900. Very inconsistent.

Have you tested the coils on your ICS?

DmTaLoN's Idle Speed Control Test/Fix Page!
Idle Surge FAQ

The smoke you are seeing at idle, white indicates coolant, blue is oil and black/gray is fuel.

Any CELs or boost leak tests done? Curious to see if the EGR is leaking.

No CEL, haven't done the boost leak test yet. So I have coolant and fuel leaking somewhere?

*UPDATE* Just to mess around, I turned on the car today to smell the exhaust. It smells bad. Coolant is suppose to smell sweet not bad.
It smells more like a burnt oil sorta thing. Like a weedeater smells like.

*UPDATE 2* Disconnected the intake piping to the turbo. Hehe....There's oil in there. That's not good is it?

Last edited:
oil in the intake piping could be either bad or normal. do ytou have a catch can on your valve cover going to the intake ### my car had Major oil from that usually a catch can or a $3*without tax* fram fuel filter can fix the issue it did for me but I still have smoke I'm a little color blind and can't tell the difference between the white, light blue, and black/grey smoke

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back