The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

I need advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poorboy2g

Probationary Member
Aug 31, 2005
Quincy, Illinois
Ok, I've spent a few hours trying to find answers to a couple of questions I have regarding 2g dsms. My other car decided to go on permanent vacation and a guy I know offered to sell me a non-turbo 2g for $400. My first question is what's wrong with it? He told me that it needed a new t-belt.(shudders) He basically just wants money to fix the car, as the asking price is after the repairs he has done including the timing belt. He said he would pull the head to be sure I didn't need to replace the valves or pistons. The car is backfiring a bit and that is his diagnosis of the problem. Does this sound fishy to anyone? He is a mechanic and a pretty good one at that, but I'm not and I don't like being lied to. I do have my heart set on the car though, even if it needs a new set of valves. I've always wanted a dsm. Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post but I really didn't find much to help me by searching, I promise.

poorboy2g said:
Ok, I've spent a few hours trying to find answers to a couple of questions I have regarding 2g dsms. My other car decided to go on permanent vacation and a guy I know offered to sell me a non-turbo 2g for $400. My first question is what's wrong with it? He told me that it needed a new t-belt.(shudders) He basically just wants money to fix the car, as the asking price is after the repairs he has done including the timing belt. He said he would pull the head to be sure I didn't need to replace the valves or pistons. The car is backfiring a bit and that is his diagnosis of the problem. Does this sound fishy to anyone? He is a mechanic and a pretty good one at that, but I'm not and I don't like being lied to. I do have my heart set on the car though, even if it needs a new set of valves. I've always wanted a dsm. Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post but I really didn't find much to help me by searching, I promise.

For $400 I would buy it and replace the motor if need be, and that's if the body/cosmetics is in good condition..One of my friends purchased a GS shell for $1200 bucks with no suspension..I've seen 420A motors for dirt cheap at least in my neck of the woods.By the way is it a 5 spd or Auto? If it's an auto watch for that tranny to make sure it has no leaks and see how it shifts..My tranny went 3 months after I bought my car and I had to replace it on my own which was a PITA..$400 after the repairs is basically a free car to me and I'd jump all over it. If you dont know much about cars/DSMs please find a buddy that does and bring him along to look at the car with you.

It's ok looks wise only one dent. The guy whose selling it to me has a 2g awd (lucky dog!) and I dont think he'd lie to me. I'm going to buy it, I just want to know what I'm in for. Most of the car guys and girls where I live are old school domestic fans or they think that the ultimate in modern 'tuning' is an aluminum wing and a fart can :barf: . Anyway would a compression test let me know of any damage to the valves/pistons without pulling the head?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back