The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

HX 35 VS e316g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanro

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 22, 2009
Montgomery, Alabama
I am looking for advice from someone who has ran both the E316g and HX-35. That HX-35 just looks so damn sexy and I have heard they have quick spool.

How quick? Is it as quick as a 16g? I have also heard these holsets can take a beating. They were orginally for diesel trucks.

My h1c (older hx35) spools similar to my small 16g. The small 16g and evo3 16g flow about the same per psi up to choke for the small 16g, where the evo3 16g goes about 4lb/min farther in flow potential. The h1c out flowed the 16g by 2lb/min at 2psi LOWER boost and HIGHER intake temp. And started outflowing at only 4500rpms or so. IOW, it developed more torque earlier at less boost. Street driving as all about how much torque and how early you have it.

Yeah it sounds like the HX35 is the one I want. I currently have a T-25 on my car, and access to a 16g, and I am rebuilding a 6-bolt to swap in.

I want to upgrade my turbo because this T-25 just doesn't cut it for me and it is in need of a rebuild.

Holset vs 16g is a bit extreme. Holset is for the most part, a custom setup. There are no "install kits". You make your own oil lines, IC piping, exchange turbine housing (if you want quick spool), new manifold and custom DP if you use stock turbine housing, external wastegate is a good idea too...

16g is bolt on with an install kit.

You will probably spend more on a holset setup (even though you can find a holset for like 200 on ebay) than a used 16g with install kit. Holsets are only relatively cheap. That's when compared with a turbo that makes similar power, such as garret, precision, etc...

Yeah it sounds like the HX35 is the one I want. I currently have a T-25 on my car, and access to a 16g, and I am rebuilding a 6-bolt to swap in.

I want to upgrade my turbo because this T-25 just doesn't cut it for me and it is in need of a rebuild.

If your just going from a T-25 you might want to consider the Evo3 16g because going Holset is a BIG step and if your still running a stock setup then theres no way that it can support the HX35 buddy:thumb:

Try a 14b swap first. You'll learn alot in the process and get your evo3 16g istall kit done when you track donw the parts to install the 14b.

But if you're sure you're looking for more power than what a typical evo3 16g setup will output. . .

It costs less to install an hx35 on the 2g than a 1g and, as a 2g, costs relatively close to install as an evo3 16g even used. The evo3 used ($350) plus install parts: oil lines, water lines, j-pipe ($80ish) is about as much as a $250 hx35 housing, $200 8blade hx35 or even less for the 54mm h1c, adapter from the 2g feed line (feeds from the OFH already), restrictor if neccesary (check your oil pressure for all turbo upgrades even MHI), and drain parts. About $100 difference for the most part, to have a turbo that can 8-10lb/min more flow potential. But then yes you have the cost of the external gate if you want to push the hx35 at all:)

Don't bother with either turbo if you're running stock fuel. Stock fuel isn't even enough for the full potential of a 14b.

Get a HX-35 and call it a day.. You will spend a few extra $$, but the grin on your face will be worth it. Believe me.... Bigger is allways BETTER.

I see so many guys on here with HX-35s with a built motor and supporting mods and guess what... they still run 12s.

I see people who KNOW what they're doing running 11s all day on 14bs.

It's not about how big the turbo is, its about what the limitation is - in most cases the owner of the car.

I see so many guys on here with HX-35s with a built motor and supporting mods and guess what... they still run 12s.

It's not about how big the turbo is, its about what the limitation is - in most cases the owner of the car.

EXACTLY!!! VERY well put man:thumb::applause:

I see many guys with evo3 16gs bult up as well with the same or worse times too. So I agree with you.

But I'm sure Andy was refering to getting the bigger turbo because it is entirely possible the OP is going to want more later. Hense, "get the hx35 and be done with it", since the bolton hx35 can push to the safe limit of the stock 6bolt rods/pistons. Whatever one turbo can run in the 1/4 mile another one that spools about the same and is as reliable and flows MORE can do better given the same driver, same skillset at tuning, and same basic setup.

. . .Perhaps I'm a little gunshy. But, is this going to turn into an hx__ vs. anything else thread similar to the last ones? I don't see very many folks with build motors running hx35s at all. But I do see some of the same verbage spouted as if they read it somewhere else :)

I couild give a shit about drag times. Once I get the car built I might take it down to the strip and see If I can manage to get into the 7's (1/8th strip) because at that point they require a rollcage, 5 point harness, and helmet.

But basically its my weekend warrior and I prefer spool time over total horsepower. I also prefer a turbo that is efficient throw the middle rpm range than one that will continue to build power past 6k rpm. I don't rev past 6k unless I am downshifting HARD.

Holset vs 16g is a bit extreme. Holset is for the most part, a custom setup. There are no "install kits". You make your own oil lines, IC piping, exchange turbine housing (if you want quick spool), new manifold and custom DP if you use stock turbine housing, external wastegate is a good idea too...

16g is bolt on with an install kit.
x2, well said
I couild give a shit about drag times. But basically its my weekend warrior and I prefer spool time over total horsepower. I also prefer a turbo that is efficient throw the middle rpm range than one that will continue to build power past 6k rpm. I don't rev past 6k unless I am downshifting HARD.
Then get a 16g. You pretty much answered your own question. If you want minimal work and a quick spool, e316g is your turbo.

I have a 16g. Its not an E3 after looking it more closely and doing some internet searching. Its just a standard small 16g that was rebuilt at some point with a different compressor wheel.

I guess I am gonna price out the 16g install kit from a reputable company, and a MHI e316g vs the holset and install stuff for it. I know they make a bolt on housing for it.

I'm in a similar situation or crossroad now as well. Still will probably stick with my 14B with Evo 3 turbine housing for the near future, but am considering jumping over the E316G upgrade and going straight for a HX-35. Decisions decisions :hmm:...

Well I am going with a the FP 68HTA when I get ready. However I think I will be throwing the the small 16g when I drop in the 6 bolt.

I already ordered my FP 68HTA and cant wait to get it. I had the e316g on my old talon. For me it wasnt enough power but i like the low rpm responsiveness. The hx35 also takes some extra parts and is not a direct bolt on.

Yeah I have decided the HX35 is a bit more work and money than I really want to spend on my future daily. I would really like to ditch the Saturn after I get about 5,000 miles on the 6 bolt swap. I will be trying to find a Truck or Small SUV (Toyota or Chevy). I need something I can haul cars with when I need to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back