The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A HP output after adding a turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM_Maniac20

Probationary Member
May 13, 2022
Overland park, Kansas
Looking to stage 2+turbo my 420a eclipse. How much power could I be getting with about 20-25 psi turbo.
Would turboing be worth it?

Honestly have no idea. I never really mess with the 420a platform at all. The 4g engine is better in every way so I've just never even been interested. I know people have made around 600 hp or so but no idea what the combo is to get it there. Still leaves you with fwd.

I'm sure there's some folks out there that are very knowledgeable with it. I'm just not one of them. Sorry.

I've been in this platform for 30 years. I've seen lots of nice DSMs, very fast cars etc. I have seen very very few well executed 420a cars. They simply do not have the support the 4g63 does. I can't answer the how much power question and certainly "stage 2" makes no sense and really never did.
Would it be worth it? Only you can decide. In this persons opinion, no.
If you want more fun out of the car I would suggest suspension mods and a good set of tires. Tires make a huge difference in how the car drives.
You can find more information here.

Looking to stage 2+turbo my 420a eclipse. How much power could I be getting with about 20-25 psi turbo.
Would turboing be worth it?
Please do read through the link @pauleyman shared. Lots of good info in the articles section. Also do some browsing of threads in this 420A Turbo Conversion forum - here's a link to the forum with threads sorted by Views, high to low. That will give you an idea of the threads that have been heavily trafficked, which usually means they have some valuable info that others are looking for:

I see a thread in there about running boost on stock internals, which you probably want to check. I don't think you can realistically expect to run 20-25 lbs on stock internals with the 420A, which means you'd have to build the motor, which isn't cheap obviously. You'd also have to build the driveline to handle that. So the question is, how much do you have to spend, and would spending what it takes to do it be worth it to you? Once you start learning what the costs are to run those boost levels, you'll be able to weigh your options. So start researching the costs to build up your motor and drivetrain for a 420A.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back