The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

adding a turbo to a 420a 2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3igl3ang

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 10, 2005
ft smith, Arkansas
yeah i heard that i could install a turbo one my 420a talon esi i dont want nothing real big i was told the small turbo's didnt even need oil and coolant this is what i would like to get a small one to give it more boost but not super fast were you would have to add a oil and coolant line so if i got a small one how hard do you think it would be to install cause a m8 of mine said its very ez to do and also you guys know were i could just get one used for a decent price cause my m8 got his for $35 but its for a mustang.

THE BEST PLACES I KNOW OF ARE ULTRAREV.COM AND SLOWBOYRACING.COM. LOOK IT UP UNDER THE ECLIPSE 420A. ITS THE SAME THING. AND ALSO IM NO EXPERT BUT IVE NEVER HEARD OF A TURBO THAT DOSENT NEED A OIL LINE. SUPERCHARGERS I DO BELIEVE DONT NEED IT BUT IM 90% SURE THAT ALL TURBOS DO. ANYWAYS THE KITS THOSE TWO WEB SITES HAVE ARE THE GREDDY T25 TURBOS. ITS ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE STOCK TURBO ON THE TSI OR GSX/GST. HAVE FUN. :thumb:

You will need some type of fuel management-- safc for example-- but not a complete new ecu unless you go the stand alone route.

Check out hahn racecraft or star turbo systems, they specialize in turboing the 420a motor. There is also a wealth of knowledge on 2gnt and other sites for turboing a 2gnt. Check those sites, read up until your eyes dry out and you'll have more than enough info to make an informed decision. :thumb:

I'm almost positive you need an oil line for a turbo. As for the turboing the 420a good luck. I wanted to do the same thing but there is alot of work to do it and its almost not worth it performance wise. If you really want to turbo it there is a post on 2gnt.com about a build your own turbo kit for under a grand that you may be intrested in and he had good results from it. If you just wanna buy a kit Hahn is has a real good kit, and you shouldn't need a new ecu an afc should do fine especially for the small amount of boost your gonna run. Our motors cant handle alot of boost 8 daily and 10 at the most is the most ive ever heard they can handle, but besides that have fun and if you decide to go through with the turbo install post some pics. :dsm:

I am taking my 420a turbo after this winter, you need a LOT of parts, first of all the turbo, exhaust manifold, oil lines, modified oil pan, bov, MBC, boost gauge for the turbo itself. To compensate for the extra air in the engine, you need fuel, so get a walbro and a FMU.

Any turbo can run without oil, but will breakdown so much faster to the point of it being useless within one drive. Imagine driving your engine without oil, the turbo is the same. It would overheat because of the extra friction and seize or blow.

Also, search for 420a turbo, you will find about 500 threads. Yours is 501.

knight007 said:
I'm almost positive you need an oil line for a turbo. As for the turboing the 420a good luck. I wanted to do the same thing but there is alot of work to do it and its almost not worth it performance wise. If you really want to turbo it there is a post on 2gnt.com about a build your own turbo kit for under a grand that you may be intrested in and he had good results from it. If you just wanna buy a kit Hahn is has a real good kit, and you shouldn't need a new ecu an afc should do fine especially for the small amount of boost your gonna run. Our motors cant handle alot of boost 8 daily and 10 at the most is the most ive ever heard they can handle, but besides that have fun and if you decide to go through with the turbo install post some pics. :dsm:

i know this is an old tread but when i read this a question poped into my head so i figured i should ask. you say our 420A engines cant handel more than 8psi. well if you upgrade the internals, could it handel more boost? or is it that the block itself cant handel the presure? im in the middle of completely rebuilding my engine. i have the engine out and stripped down to a bare block. im going to be building the engine for a turbo setup, so any suggestions on what internals to get would be cool. lata.:dsm:

Since I'm bored I'll throw up what you all looking for. Turbo's need oil , the oil keeps the wheel from grinding and burning up and staying primed. Try rubbing to flat stones together for an hour it would heat up GREATLY and eventually grind down to nothing.You cant slap a turbo on a car and expect it to give you results your looking for and not have major problems. Its possibol, but it's also crazy. First off if you dont get a intercooler the turbo will get heat soak. Now you will need some way to manage the "low" boost that your looking for. Well thats even more parts. Your better off buying a kit from a major company i.e hahn racecraft etc.... You could also make your own. I did mine for less then 800 dollars. Lots of searching though and junkyard time.

As for the person who said 10 psi max on a 420a.:tease: If you car have perfect compression i could see 10 maybe but most 420's can barely do 9 safely. 6 is a good number for low boost and 8 is the HIGHEST not 10. 8 is the highest safe psi you can put on your 420a.Now you cant just put your turbo on your car with the kit and be like ok 8psi off the bat. You need to do a compression test to se how your compression is and from there decide.

Ohh and for the member asking about internals.......Hahn makes forged internals. They rule!! Iv heard they can handle the 20+ range. When I say internal I mean pistons and rods. Do those and you should be fine. Thats where all the pressure if focused. Also this is me thinking logically for a seconds. Our engines at 8 psi put out more then the 4g63's at 8 because of the block? or the pistons. If its the block then at 20psi it should be enormious HP with the forged internals.So if it is and you can run 20 then you will be faster then the 4g63's runnen 20 psi(theoretically speaking that is). If its just the pistons then well I guess I'm wishfully thinking again.

The reason that our motor puts out more power at a lower boost level is because of compression. N/A's compression is higher than a Turbo's compression. Most people say to not put a turbo on an engine with high compression but you can, and you will get amazing results to a point. Most people just say don't because the room for error is drasticly decreased.

2g nts have 9.6:1 compression, turbos have 8.8:1, it is higher but not so much higher that boost will instantly destroy the engine.

You cant just put a turbo on because it wont fit your manifold or downpipe. A manifold, turbo and downpipe ALONE put you at 500$. Some IC piping, and an intercooler is another 300-500. FUel pump and FMU = 250$ Various parts like oil to refill your pan and connectors add up to almost 100. you are already over 1000$ and if you think 1000$ is too much, dont even consider a turbo.

maybe a header/exhaust combo off of ebay would do you better.

napkinthief said:
2g nts have 9.6:1 compression, turbos have 8.8:1, it is higher but not so much higher that boost will instantly destroy the engine.
Stock compression ratios (for the record):
420A (2G) - 9.6:1
4G63 (1G) - 7.8:1
4G63 (2G) - 8.5:1

8.8 is the common, off-the-shelf CR chosen by most 2GNT owners who rebuild in the interest of decreasing compression to increase boost levels with a greater margin of error.

napkinthief said:
You cant just put a turbo on because it wont fit your manifold or downpipe.
Actually, a stock DSM turbo can be bolted to the stock 2GNT manifold. It can't be bolted up completely and it's not pretty, but it's been done and there are those who daily drive such a set up. DSMers are cheap DIY types, remember.

napkinthief said:
A manifold, turbo and downpipe ALONE put you at 500$.
True to some extent, but this all depends on the level of DIY effort and luck finding your materials/components. I figure that would mean a $300 turbo (which isn't so much a bad thing, if you're picking up a smaller, used turbo in good condition).

napkinthief said:
Some IC piping, and an intercooler is another 300-500.
The Dejon Tool SMIC runs something like $140 and use of a sidemount translates into lower prices on piping. I would say you could put together a SMIC set up for under $200 if you're handy with the welder and put in a lot of elbow grease.

napkinthief said:
FUel pump and FMU = 250$.
I guess. It's been a while since I've looked into pricing on this stuff. I think the Aeromotive 1:1 BI FPR runs around $160, but you need rising rate if you're not running MS.

napkinthief said:
Various parts like oil to refill your pan and connectors add up to almost 100.
Miscellaneous shit will eat your lunch and call you a sissy girl in no time.

napkinthief said:
you are already over 1000$ and if you think 1000$ is too much, dont even consider a turbo.
Good advice. A turbosystem on any car translates into a greater need to monitor and tune the engine. This is not an install-and-forget-it mod by anyone's definition.

napkinthief said:
maybe a header/exhaust combo off of ebay would do you better.
Then again, this thread is way old. Why was it bumped again? I forget. :p

redeclipse7782 said:
Can someone please post a write up in the tech guide and we can continue to add new FACTS to it over time>>?
I'm sort of working on something like that in my spare time.

you need a oil line, water line on small turbo's are optional cause usually the oil will cool them down

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back