The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

want to turbo a built 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aphex301

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 19, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I just bought my first dsm off my friend for 6000 about a month ago. it was a 97 eclipse RS. Its decently fast, i beat a couple v6 mustangs, mazda 3, and a 2gen gst. I lost to an wrx, a different gst, and a mustang gt. Thats jsut to give anyone reading an idea of how much power the rs has. The guy i bought the car from put more than 6k fixing and building the motor and such.

AEM true time cam gears,Crower Cams: intake duration 248 lift .389 exhaust duration 246 lift .357, JE .040 bore-over SRP forged Pistons, Eagle rods, Rebuilt head

CAI - kn filter,OBX Header,OBX Muffler/catback, 3in exhaust/hollowed cat, NOS nitrous system wet kit/dual purge, 13 lb flywheel ,Clutchmaster Clutch, phantom grip LSD.... cough cough, carbon fiber taillights, ebayB&m clone wrapped in a carbon fiber style shift boot, LOL.

Ive been reading on the forums that the boosting a 420a is not a good idea and then some people say its alright. . Would it be a good idea to turbo my car. Firstly i only wanted to put 1500 into a kit, but ive heard its worth the money to buy a kit from hahn. Where would the best place to buy the hahn kit for the best price if i should get the kit?

im thinking this way, i bought the car for 6, spent about 150 on purge kit and shifter.other stuff im planning on buying are strut bars $70 from ebay, and eibach springs ($200). A urbo kit would be around 2500, hopefully less. So for under 9000 i would have a fast daily driver, right?

Firstly i only wanted to put 1500 into a kit

good luck. hahn kits cost over 3g's and you only get 8 psi for a stage 2 (correct me someone because i think i'm wrong). a custom turbo kit would cost you anywhere between 3500-4500 bones and that doesn't include all the internals and such. unless you plan on upgrading your internals and milling on your head i wouldn't even think about putting a turbo on there with the nitrous....

anywyas, ,back to the point. of course you should put a turbo kit on it. the 420a gs-t can be a nice ride.

dustyb said:
good luck. hahn kits cost over 3g's and you only get 8 psi for a stage 2 (correct me someone because i think i'm wrong). a custom turbo kit would cost you anywhere between 3500-4500 bones and that doesn't include all the internals and such. unless you plan on upgrading your internals and milling on your head i wouldn't even think about putting a turbo on there with the nitrous....

i thought i would be able to put one together cheaper than the hahn kit, but i think it would be more convenient to spend the extra moneyand not have to do any crazy fabrication or deal with getting parts and stuff. I have some time to think about this, spring time is when ill be doing the turbo or not. BTW all of the internals are upgraded, and the head is rebuilt too. The things that im worrying about with the turbo kit is the trans breaking, new motor mounts, and suspension.

Its going to be all research from now on.

well if everything is built for the most part then i'd say that you could hack on a turbo kit for 2500-3000. FMIC - $1000. Turbo - around $700 give or take a few. Exaust manifold and stuff like that $500-600 give or take a few. the FMIC ain't necessary, but i'd suggest it for the look and performance increase.

super 60 t3 turbo ebay 200 bones and thats a nice turbo

do some shopn' you can build a kit better than hahn or star for less than 2000.
if you think about it all a star of hahn kit is, is a bunch of different parts put togeather from a whole lot of different places. the only to hard things about your own kit is ic pipes and the down pipe.

You give some decent info on what your car has on it, but if you wanna turbo it, then you need to have some low compression pistons. If your car is fully built N/A, with some nitrous, I am willing to bet that may be a fairly high compression engine.
Any info on compression numbers?

You can look on 2gnt.com in the FOR SALE/WANTED forum. There are usually people selling stage 2 HRC turbo-kits.
Just remember, that you need to address your fuel system properly to go along with any hp plans that you have for the car.

The car only becomes unreliable when making huge hp numbers and/or not taken proper car of. BUT THATS THE CASE IN ANY CAR.

Good luck!

green95hrcgs said:
You give some decent info on what your car has on it, but if you wanna turbo it, then you need to have some low compression pistons. If your car is fully built N/A, with some nitrous, I am willing to bet that may be a fairly high compression engine.
Any info on compression numbers?

You can look on 2gnt.com in the FOR SALE/WANTED forum. There are usually people selling stage 2 HRC turbo-kits.
Just remember, that you need to address your fuel system properly to go along with any hp plans that you have for the car.

The car only becomes unreliable when making huge hp numbers and/or not taken proper car of. BUT THATS THE CASE IN ANY CAR.

Good luck!

why thank you for that information, i really have no clue on what kind of compresion pistons were put in. My friend who i bought the car of had plans of turboing the car, and i bought his uncompleted project. I would guess that the compression would be low, but ill call him when he gets back from vacation.

Ive been reading some peoples reviews on the hahn kit and they were mixed, some didnt like the 3kgt bov, and cheap oil lines, and some other things i cant remember off my head. So i really dont know what i should do as of this point. My main worry about putting a kit together myself is the ecu and fuel stuff. I have no clue how a missing link, MAP, fuel cuts, work...i dont know jack. I would like to get my car tuned my ARP, a well renowed shop in my area, but i dont know if i need some extra add on computer to get it tuned, or if i should get it tuned before or after the turbo is added.

dustyb
<well if everything is built for the most part then i'd say that you could hack on a turbo kit for 2500-3000. FMIC - $1000. Turbo - around $700 give or take a few. Exaust manifold and stuff like that $500-600 give or take a few. the FMIC ain't necessary, but i'd suggest it for the look and performance increase.>

I would think that i can find a fmic for around 300 or less. And i definitely can find a turbo manifold for less than 500. And i can get a used turbo for way less than 700. I have a guy that does exhaust work who can do the piping for me. The thing i am prepared to spend lots of money on is the misc. stuff that i am yet to look into.

Where do you shop for parts? For a manifold you can get a log style from www.thestreetsource.net, and they sell brand new garrett t3/t4 for $500.
Also you can try www.conceptillusions.com for a turbo mani and turbo but their website is under construction. For the Intercooler just watch ebay, now and then they are good stuff. You can get a 24x12x3 IC for about $350 (bar and plate design) and polish. Also I found this website that has low prices for IC's, www.rbperformance.com. I don't know anything about them, but if I can't get an IC from ebay then I will buy one from them. It never hurts to try products from an unkown company.

The price for the Hahn Stage 2 will get alot of stuff if you going turbo with a custom job. Just keep reading old posts and you will find alot of info on this subject. Star and Hahn kit is overpriced to me for what you are getting. Go custom after you acquire enough info though. :D

selmerguy said:
wow i just finished putting mine togeather and spent less than 2000. you need to shop more
SAme here you better look arround more and have more contact with people in tow. As well as shops, bender places, welding, Junkyard, EBAY, etc.
There are a lot of options!
LAter

Well as far as not liking some of the things that come on the HRC kit, that to me is really a bad reason for not getting the kit. If you wanna upgrade the BOV to something you have your eye on already, then whats the big loss? IF you buy the kit used, there may already be a BOV that you want, or you can make more money off of. The bottom line is, whether you bought the HRC kit OR the Star Performance kit, there are always things that people dont like about each. Its all really up to you. Hell, even if one of them came with a TIAL BOV, you might not like the way it sounds. You' be in the same situation, and have/want to sell it.

There is nothing "cheap" about the oil lines.

The downpipe sucks, but they now make a FULL 3" pipe that is supposed to be really nice.

As for the Missing Link, as far as I know, its just a spacer of a sort that you bolt ( 2 bolts ) between your intake manifold, and your MAP sensor. Nothing to worry about there.

Tuning wise, everything you get with the kit is all you need to run fine.
If you want to tune, you need to mod more from there. For example, you can choose from one of the fuel systems I mentioned last post. Other than that, there really isnt all that much tuning you can do.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back